What Can We Do To Keep On Vaping In Rsa?

A lot of research is being done in the USA and Europe into flavours for ecigs. Flavours consist of virtually hundreds of aroma chemicals and a lot of guess work is being done as to the possible side effects these chemicals can have when inhaled. Certain aromas have now been identified as being possibly harmful. Diacetyl is one. Diacetyl is found naturally in Cheese and butter. It is not a problem to remove Diacetyl from a formula, or other potentially harmful ingredients. As these flavours are used in ecigs and not in food stuff. One will pick up a difference in foods, but unlikely will one notice a difference in vapours

Yes, this is certainly something that has been kicked around in the past, and as I recall, it is totally in conceptual stage and did not go any further.

If I had the time, and the patience then I would probably do it.

If anyone is interested in working on it, let me know, and maybe as a group effort we could get something going?

We would need:

1. A committee of committed committee members (think tank)
2. A person with graphic design capabilities
3. Someone who can do basic website and maintenance
4. A few folks who write well/enjoy writing/drafting documents
5. Someone to interpret the legislation

The think tank would need to assess the current position and identify potential threats in the future. We would also need to identify and propose a strategy to promote edukashun about vaping, and to counter the evil propaganda of Big Pharma and Big Tobacco

struggle.jpg
I would be more than happy to assist in any way necessary in the legal aspects. Interpretation, case law, statutes, bills as well as drafting as i am a legal student and do part time work, so all the resources are easily available to me. I would love to be apart of this.

I am also deeply concerned. Every moment of freely vaping in restaurants, pubs and supermarkets feels like my last - and that someone is going to bust me! I guess we all feel like that. I try to educate where I can. I have the resources, background, know-how, talent and enthusiasm (having written a very well-received pro-vaping article in the Cape Argus newspaper some months ago, and being a former TV producer) to create a well-scripted, generic, informative short video for TV and YouTube on vaping, but no one has - as yet - offered to fund me. As a freelancer, I cannot subsidise this! Unless the big players on the forum are prepared to club together, I guess we could look at crowdfunding a campaign... Perhaps we should talk about this.

I would be more than happy to assist in any way necessary in the legal aspects. Interpretation, case law, statutes, bills as well as drafting as i am a legal student and do part time work, so all the resources are easily available to me. I would love to be apart of this.

I doubt there is enough money in vaping at this moment that vendors and or vapers could raise the kind of money needed to do a one episode TV show or whether the TV stations would even flight such a show? Having been involved in ESA Bass TV shows on Supersport for some time as a presenter I got to know a little about TV production and costs and the politics and hassles involved in dealing with TV Channels.

I think the idea is a marvelous one but the costs of such a production and the politics of trying to get the episode flighted are pretty much out of the vapers league at the moment.

I received no response at all to my suggestion, which I felt was a great and logical idea. Before you look at legal stuff, you have to spread the word. The vast majority of people are utterly ignorant. Without media support, we are nothing as a community.

I offer my services again to create a potent, short video piece that can be used on YouTube and TV, to further our cause. Surely everyone's lives (and many livelihoods) depend on this? I am very disappointed that I received no encouragement...

I doubt there is enough money in vaping at this moment that vendors and or vapers could raise the kind of money needed to do a one episode TV show or whether the TV stations would even flight such a show? Having been involved in ESA Bass TV shows on Supersport for some time as a presenter I got to know a little about TV production and costs and the politics and hassles involved in dealing with TV Channels.

I think the idea is a marvelous one but the costs of such a production and the politics of trying to get the episode flighted are pretty much out of the vapers league at the moment.

I received no response at all to my suggestion, which I felt was a great and logical idea. Before you look at legal stuff, you have to spread the word. The vast majority of people are utterly ignorant. Without media support, we are nothing as a community.

I offer my services again to create a potent, short video piece that can be used on YouTube and TV, to further our cause. Surely everyone's lives (and many livelihoods) depend on this? I am very disappointed that I received no encouragement...

I guess because not too many people are familiar with TV production etc... but maybe the way forward is to start with a home made YouTube video using an amateur video camera and simple video editing software?

What do you think such a production (maybe five - eight minutes) would cost? Twisp alone could raise the bucks in a month! Even if I couldn't get it on local TV, the YouTube impact alone would be massive. Just - for argument's sake - say that I could do it for R50 000, wouldn't everyone who could afford to contribute something, throw it at this, just to keep SA vaping?

The same applies legally. Poking the inevitable may become a costly consequence. Unfortunately it is a problem we are faced with currently. Most shops and garages are already getting involved in the action,by selling cig-alikes at their cigarette counters. Although this is great exposure for the vaping world, I personally think it may also cause some serious problems. It is definately only a matter of time before government puts its hand up to regulate vaping aswell. Taxes will be placed withouta doubt. If ccigarettes and alcohol sold at stores are taxed, the e-cig will definately be included in the legislatures list of sin taxed items to stop the youth and the general public but also so government can benefit from the booming market. Although vaping has no tobaco , it does have nicotine and combustion to create a "smoke like" product, wich may be read as the legislatures intention

I guess because not too many people are familiar with TV production etc... but maybe the way forward is to start with a home made YouTube video using an amateur video camera and simple video editing software?

No, that is entirely the wrong approach! It lacks 'cred'. Too backyard. You have to put a slick little well-researched doccie together, with interviews and visits to at least three major centres!

The same applies legally. Poking the inevitable may become a costly consequence. Unfortunately it is a problem we are faced with currently. Most shops and garages are already getting involved in the action,by selling cig-alikes at their cigarette counters. Although this is great exposure for the vaping world, I personally think it may also cause some serious problems. It is definately only a matter of time before government puts its hand up to regulate vaping aswell. Taxes will be placed withouta doubt. If ccigarettes and alcohol sold at stores are taxed, the e-cig will definately be included in the legislatures list of sin taxed items to stop the youth and the general public but also so government can benefit from the booming market. Although vaping has no tobaco , it does have nicotine and combustion to create a "smoke like" product, wich may be read as the legislatures intention

So, let us be taxed, not banned.

Apologies, I forgot to state reference to the tobaco products control act, of which there are many amendments

No, that is entirely the wrong approach! It lacks 'cred'. Too backyard. You have to put a slick little well-researched doccie together, with interviews and visits to at least three major centres!

If every supplier and every vaper had a link to this, it would be huge. I know my stuff, believe me!

What do you think such a production (maybe five - eight minutes) would cost? Twisp alone could raise the bucks in a month! Even if I couldn't get it on local TV, the YouTube impact alone would be massive. Just - for argument's sake - say that I could do it for R50 000, wouldn't everyone who could afford to contribute something, throw it at this, just to keep SA vaping?

Yes Twisp could but they are not really playing in the forums so they will probably never see this post.

And yes R50,000 is the minimum it would take.

And if there was a guarantee that an 8 minute video could guarantee that vaping would be left alone there is no question that everyone would contribute. But this would be a gamble... make a few YouTube video's showing the community just what can be achieved and how it comes across and you may just get a taker or two. But to ask perfect strangers who don't know you from Adam to give you fifty grand or more is kinda expecting a little too much don't you think?

Don't get me wrong... I love the idea... You were asking why no one was engaging... I'm trying to answer that question and make suggestions on how to get the ball rolling.

I would not be surprised if government was already discussing taxation. I completely agree @vaperrising . Taxation is allot better than banning the products all together. Luckily enough in order to have it declared "illegal" is an extremely difficult process to just simply do. They would need to argue the negative aspects health wise...wich would just be worse for smoking, wich is legal and will be for a very long time. I will definately do some research into this as I am extremely intrigued now.

It is not the most recent amendment. But it is just for the purpose of the definition of "tobaco product". Yes I know there is no tobaco in e-cigs but their is nicotine wich falls in the ambit and vaping is classified under "for the purpose of inhalation or human consumption". Just food for thaught that a new proposed amendment may be enacted with the words " electronic device" read into the act.

Attachments

• a23-07.pdf
    217.4 KB · Views: 3
I want to know y there is no vapeing Magazine out there, or am I wrong

I completely agree @dr phill. Id love one..... it is a "hobby" so why not:clap:

Magazine could have juice reviews mod reviews, tips on coil builds and so on.

Great idea, but then again your best info on all things vaping will come from right here on the forum. Digital explosion of awesomness:dance:

Magazine could have juice reviews mod reviews, tips on coil builds and so on.
Great idea, magazines are cool, however the market isn't nearly big enough to justify a printed magazine, especially in this digital era. All that info is already available right here, for free.

Yes Twisp could but they are not really playing in the forums so they will probably never see this post.

And yes R50,000 is the minimum it would take.

And if there was a guarantee that an 8 minute video could guarantee that vaping would be left alone there is no question that everyone would contribute. But this would be a gamble... make a few YouTube video's showing the community just what can be achieved and how it comes across and you may just get a taker or two. But to ask perfect strangers who don't know you from Adam to give you fifty grand or more is kinda expecting a little too much don't you think?

Don't get me wrong... I love the idea... You were asking why no one was engaging... I'm trying to answer that question and make suggestions on how to get the ball rolling.

Absolutely fair enough! But there could never be a guarantee. No product or concept ever has a guarantee! What is needed is not a few YouTube videos, though, but one great one - and not produced by amateurs. I have been in diverse media for 30 years, as a copywriter, ad agency creative director, scriptwriter, producer and journalist, etc.. My CV is 'skrik-vir-niks'! I am happy to forward a proposal to anyone who expresses interest.

Perfect strangers? No. We are united in our aim.

And, after all, every crowdfunding project is only on good faith.

I agree with Rob on this topic. I feel this media endeavour to promote vaping in a positive light is the greatest thing since low ohm coils. I also agree that one video is key to igniting the discussion with the ignorant ones.

However, marketing in this era is really something else and at its core is online, not traditional forms marketing. If the message is strong enough it goes viral REGARDLESS. For example if you search "Can we autocorrect humanity" on YouTube you will see it has over 2M views in ONE week. Yup.. Also if you look at his channel he was relatively unknown before that. There's the proof in the pudding.

Now myself and other vapers are more then keen to be involved but 5mins of primetime should not be the focus. Content should be.

Back