Why I am a dripper or RDA dripping junkie — 10 reasons

View attachment 78682

I enjoy RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomizers) tanks very much but I am leaning more towards buying RDA's (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers) lately. This post is by no means an attempt to diss RTA or coil tank users. It's just an expression of why I like RDA's so much and why I own more RDA's than RTA's. Obviously both RDA's and RTA' have their own unique purposes for different vaping moods and occasions.

This has been discussed manny times, but to all the newcomers to this forum, I thought it may be helpful.

So here is why I love dripping:

1. RDA's don't break easily. I am a bit of a clumsy vaper, and tend to break the glass tanks on RTA's easily. It is sometimes difficult to find replacement tank glasses, especially when the tank is out of production. And they are pricey. If you take care of a good quality RDA it can last you almost lifetime.

2. RDA's have an interesting, novel appeal. There is something enjoyable about the ritual of having to place a few drops of e-liquid in the juice well and to vape. I like tinkering or playing with gadgets. Drippers look raw, compact and solid. RDA' are more "hands on". There is more of an interaction with the vaping experience. It's almost like the ritual of tobacco pipe smoking where you need to constantly tend to the pipe to get a good smoke. RDA's IMO are generally speaking, enjoyed more by eccentric or adventurous people.

3. Dripping saves juice. If you fill an RTA or any other atomizer, and you get tired of the juice, you have to dump the juice, clean, re wick and re juice. Dripping allows you to taste, clean and re wick with minimal juice consumption.

4. In order to test a new batch of DIY juice, a Dripper does the job. It's sometimes a waste to test in a tank.

5. This may sound weird, but sometimes if you are dripping e.g. a fruit e-juice, you can vape until its dry, then drip another fruit juice. Occasionally you get a nice mix of flavor which actually teaches you how different flavors blend / interact with each other. Especially if you are into DIY. Or you can just chop and change within a specific category of juice, like different puddings, cereals or cream based juice, with the same dripper provided that you vape the wick dry in between re juicing.

6. Generally speaking, the flavor and or airflow control is better in an RDA than in an RTA, RDTA or tanks with factory coils.

7. It's nice to have a few dripping RDA's while working at a desk and being able to quickly chop and change between different juices.

8. You can quickly and cleanly lift off the top cap or chuff cap of an RDA to inspect your coil and wick builds to see the condition. With a tank you have to unscrew it while filled with juice, which can be messy depending on the design of the tank. An RDA can also be cleaned quicker than a tank.

9. If you are a "Cloud Chaser", there is no doubt that due to the construction compactness, and direct hitting from a mod — from most good RDA's, you will get bigger clouds than an RTA or an factory coil atty.

10. Dripping is just cool. I immediately took to it soon after I started vaping. It's not for everyone. It's a different art to vaping which just bites some vapers, but not others. It is relaxing, it gives you something more to do, it's like driving a manual car instead of an automatic.

I own 11 RDA's. My favorite dripper is the Goon 22ml. For some reason, it just performs better than any other dripper I have and the clamps are so versatile. I love everything about the Goon and will be getting a 24mm soon.

Are there any other dripping enthusiasts out there who can add to this, and perhaps enlighten a newcomer to the wonderful world of dripping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are a man after my own heart, I agree with the reasons you mentioned though I have to admit that RTA s have come a long way in the flavor category and that's a bold statement from this flavor chasing dripping junkie.

What do you guys think of the RDTAs. I have recently bought the Limitless Plus and the Avo 24. For me the jury is still out. Nice flavor and enough clouds to satisfy any teenager. I find myself subconsciously tipping the RDTA to wet the wicks far too often than is necessary, and this annoys me. Perhaps I am a slow learner and will get used to them.

For fun I tried the AVO 24 on one of my Picos. (with a heat sink). Works fine and doesn't look too silly.

The RDTAs are fine, I have the Limitless Plus, Avo 24 and Theorem and they all work great. But the reason I still prefer dripping is:

1) An RDTA is still a tank. If you want to change flavour, you have to empty the tank first. Unless you want that weird change-over flavour to last for about three hours.
2) Wicking is easy on RDTAs but still easier on drippers.

The RDTAs are fine, I have the Limitless Plus, Avo 24 and Theorem and they all work great. But the reason I still prefer dripping is:

1) An RDTA is still a tank. If you want to change flavour, you have to empty the tank first. Unless you want that weird change-over flavour to last for about three hours.
2) Wicking is easy on RDTAs but still easier on drippers.
RDTA wicks stay too wet IMO. After a while they get spitty and I get vapers tongue more easily.
Also not certain if I want that freshly dripped hit on every toot.

@Daniel I have no qualms about buying clones, as much as I would love the authentic ones. As long as the clones are reasonably ok. My two Goon 22mm clones perform fantastic.

This is good to hear, I'm considering getting a goon 24 clone before I buy the actual thing to try it out. You might just have pushed me even closer to doing that.

Can I be honest. I still have no idea of how the hell one is supposed to use an RDTA or why it is even called that. I mean, how do you drip in a Tank? I have a few "RDTA's" but I treat them as an ordinary RTA.

I don't have one RDA but I can say this, have you guys tried the Scottish Wicking method on your RDA's. Apparently you can get 20 hits without a dry burn. The downside it uses a lot of Cotton and the upside you don't need to change the cotton every few days. The link is down here

Oops saw already someone else post this by Alex. My bad.

I only use the Scottish wicking method on everything I wick. Works brilliantly in all my RDA's. I swear by it.

Can I be honest. I still have no idea of how the hell one is supposed to use an RDTA or why it is even called that. I mean, how do you drip in a Tank? I have a few "RDTA's" but I treat them as an ordinary RTA.

You don't drip into an RDTA. It is only called that because the action of the juice is fairly similar to a dripper, i.e. it is below the coils and is drawn up into the wicks via capillary action. In a tank, the juice is drawn into the wicks by gravity pressure and from the side. Although even the manufacturers don't abide by that definition. A lot of them just call their tank an RDTA in the belief that it gives the impression of superior quality.

However, in some cases, it is applied accurately. The Smok TF-RDTA had very different wicking to the G2 or G4 RTA, or the TFV4 or 8. The RDTA wicks rested on a deck which had two vertical wicking holes, with the juice seeping upwards from the bottom. The other Smok tanks wick via channels on the side. The Avocado, Limitless Plus and Theorem are also 'true' RDTA tanks. The juice is below the coils and is drawn upwards into the wicks, it doesn't come in from the side as per the Griffin, Crius, SM, etc.

You don't drip into an RDTA. It is only called that because the action of the juice is fairly similar to a dripper, i.e. it is below the coils and is drawn up into the wicks via capillary action. In a tank, the juice is drawn into the wicks by gravity pressure and from the side. Although even the manufacturers don't abide by that definition. A lot of them just call their tank an RDTA in the belief that it gives the impression of superior quality.

However, in some cases, it is applied accurately. The Smok TF-RDTA had very different wicking to the G2 or G4 RTA, or the TFV4 or 8. The RDTA wicks rested on a deck which had two vertical wicking holes, with the juice seeping upwards from the bottom. The other Smok tanks wick via channels on the side. The Avocado, Limitless Plus and Theorem are also 'true' RDTA tanks. The juice is below the coils and is drawn upwards into the wicks, it doesn't come in from the side as per the Griffin, Crius, SM, etc.
So that's how the Reo Grand works. I was wondering.:think:

Last edited:
I only use the Scottish wicking method on everything I wick. Works brilliantly in all my RDA's. I swear by it.

Unfortunately it doesn't work great in a RTA. So wasted a lot of cotton to try this, tried it twice. Think it was one and a half cotton UD wipes used up. It was a bummer for me that day, but it gave birth too the coil i'm smoking now. So I'm happy.

Unfortunately it doesn't work great in a RTA. So wasted a lot of cotton to try this, tried it twice. Think it was one and a half cotton UD wipes used up. It was a bummer for me that day, but it gave birth too the coil i'm smoking now. So I'm happy.

@Eldeo Works great for me in all my RTA's. It may have something to do with the fact that I only use Dischem Organic cotton pads for all my wicking. I have spent about 2 months trying different rolling methods, eventually perfecting my own way of doing the "Scottish Roll". I call it "Scottish Viennas". These Dischem (beige color wrapping) are so cheap that you can afford to experiment. I actually had so much fun trying out different rolling methods and finally finding my sweet spot.

Just a friendly pointer. On vaping forums some readers don't like the word "smoking", but big ups to you if you are happy "vaping" on your happy place coils and wicks.

just played around with a tank. Made me appreciate my little squonker that much more. It. Just. Vapes.

Cotton getting a bit dry? Squonk!

No airlock issues, wicking issues, nada. Add juice, hit the fire button. Enjoy. As a squonk noob I had to be shown once how to coil and wick once (more for the WANT of guidance than the necessity) and I was A-for-away. With this subtank, the first wick was too thin, then the second attempt was possibly too thick. The juice was probably too thick for the tank (90:10). My little "Deadpool" (Pico Squeeze) just doesn't care. It loves me and my juice for who we ARE and that feeling is most definitely reciprocated.

OK, it was a subtank which I am led to believe can be finicky, and I'm still dead set on getting a SM22 for when I'm all growed up, but for now I'm quite happy with the simple please of squeezing the bottle and enjoying some tasty DIY juice :)

Its strange, the "Squonker" concept has never grabbed my attention. Never had the desire to acquire one. Infant, I don't even like the word. You know when you just don't like a particular word, and you don't even really know why? Well, I don't even like the word "Squonker", it sounds....almost childish, silly...I don't know....hard to explain. No offence to anyone, it just a personal quirk.

Also, I get tired of one juice flavour quickly. I can't imagine having to squeeze a whole 10 or 12ml plastic bottle of juice before I change it.

Having said that, if "Squonkers" blow your hair back, Great! Each to their own. We all need to find our happy vape! Perhaps one day, by some frieky chance, I will get to try one, and I may just enjoy it.

...."Squonk" -- Squonker".... funny word....

Its strange, the "Squonker" concept has never grabbed my attention. Never had the desire to acquire one. Infant, I don't even like the word. You know when you just don't like a particular word, and you don't even really know why? Well, I don't even like the word "Squonker", it sounds....almost childish, silly...I don't know....hard to explain. No offence to anyone, it just a personal quirk.

Also, I get tired of one juice flavour quickly. I can't imagine having to squeeze a whole 10 or 12ml plastic bottle of juice before I change it.

Having said that, if "Squonkers" blow your hair back, Great! Each to their own. We all need to find our happy vape! Perhaps one day, by some frieky chance, I will get to try one, and I may just enjoy it.

@Waine ... dis post gonna cheese off some peeps. Treat others as you want them to treat you. Although I prefer to say "do unto others before they do unto me" :risas3:

Funnily enough - one of my motivations for getting the Pico Squeeze was so that I could say "I squonk" - just for the sound of the word :)

No offence taken, and if today's experience has taught me anything, it's exactly what you said "Each to their own"

12ml then don't fill it all the way to the top or its as easy as swap out with another bottle 10 seconds and quick few squeezas and you on the new flavour. This past few days in the bush has just shown me again why I love my Reos no fuss quick pitstop this morning rewick in 5 no need to even wet the wick just squeeze and wait squeeze and wait, done dripper like flavor. I haven't really touched my poor SM25 this week.

And you don't have to break the bank get a little Pico Squeeza a clone OL16 and you are good to go. Really try it you'll never look back......

Hi @Waine
I hear you - it is quite a strange word - "squonk" - lol

And I understand that you want to drip various flavours instead of a full bottle of the same flavour.

But actually, the Reo Grand bottles are 6ml - and one only fills them to about 5ml to leave space for the squonk tube.

When you find a flavour you like, its awesome to be able to "drip" without the fuss and mess of dripping. Also great for out and about.

And one actually needs a few squonkers to keep a few flavours on tap all the time

@Waine ... dis post gonna cheese off some peeps. Treat others as you want them to treat you. Although I prefer to say "do unto others before they do unto me" :risas3:

Its just the word, could they not have come up with a different word? "Sqwonk"... LOL...

OK, so I looked up the word...

The Squonk is a mythical creature reputed to live intheHemlock forests of northern Pennsylvania.[1][2] Legends of squonks probably originated in the late nineteenth century, at the height of Pennsylvania's importance in the timber industry.

The earliest known written account of squonks comes from a book by William T. Cox called Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods, With a Few Desert and Mountain Beasts (1910). Cox's account is reprinted in Jorge Luis Borges' Book of Imaginary Beings (1969).

The legend holds that the creature's skin is ill-fitting, being covered with warts and other blemishesand that because it is ashamed of its appearance, it hides from plain sight and spends much of its time weeping.[2] Hunters who have attempted to catch squonks have found that the creature is capable of evading capture by dissolving completely into a pool of tears and bubbles when cornered. A certain J.P. Wentling is supposed to have coaxed one into a bag, which, while he was carrying it home suddenly lightened. On inspection, he found that the bag contained only the liquidremains of the sad animal.

The "scientific name" of the squonk, Lacrimacorpus dissolvens, comes from Latin words meaning "tear", "body", and "dissolve".[1]

Think someone needs to update Wikipedia
48fae62902d005c35b37e51ce15f2aab.jpg

Squonk is an onomatopeia.
I enjoy it because it's dripping, just from the bottom. Changing flavours is the same as a normal dripper, just swop out the bottles, vape the wick cleanish and wet the wicks again. Also having the excess juice pulled back into the bottles means I'm not over dripping and my wicks are saturated perfectly.
I'm up to 4 squonker mods already. Atomisers are a little trickier. A bf Goon would be awesome.

The "rawness" of mech mods and RDA's is what attracted me to vaping, and all I wanted to do was just dive straight into the deep end and immediately start fidgeting with wires and screws and ohms and and and !..

But I wanted to be a "pro" at all this so I started a week ago with a vw mod and tank ,, I must say it's been lots of fun and because of this forum I learnt so much.

Although clicking a button is fun from time to time, I don't think there's anything more rewarding than actually building something and enjoying it. IMO. (It's like that feeling you get after fixing something that's hasn't been working )

Plus ..what's more manly than a full beard , muscles , tattoos and dripping on a RDA mech mod with a mean look on your face .

The "rawness" of mech mods and RDA's is what attracted me to vaping, and all I wanted to do was just dive straight into the deep end and immediately start fidgeting with wires and screws and ohms and and and !..

But I wanted to be a "pro" at all this so I started a week ago with a vw mod and tank ,, I must say it's been lots of fun and because of this forum I learnt so much.

Although clicking a button is fun from time to time, I don't think there's anything more rewarding than actually building something and enjoying it. IMO. (It's like that feeling you get after fixing something that's hasn't been working )

Plus ..what's more manly than a full beard , muscles , tattoos and dripping on a RDA mech mod with a mean look on your face .

And couching like a school kid on his first pull of a cigarette lol. Careful drippers and Mechs are for advanced vapers you need to know what you doing otherwise you might lose the beard always remember the lower the ohms the higher the amps more amps check your battery can handle it. And of course shorts as well... Geez I sound like an old geezer...

Anyway I also dove in head first my first vape was a Nemesis Mech and a Tugboat 1 coil building was easy but man that first hit I took I almost died. Still have it built it up the other day (see earlier post in this thread) and the vape was enjoyable but not nearly as effortless as a Reo. I know I know I sound like a fanboi but they are just that good like an old Toyota Hilux it just goes on and on... Yes I do own an old Hilux too

Squonk = Bottom Feeding
bf.JPG bf.JPG
I Own Three REO Grands, One Thereom BF (Atties: RM2's, Cyclone/Cyclops and OL16), great for out and about and dedicated to my 9/12mg Tobacco juices.
Also have a few great RDA's (Goon/Recoil/ TM) usualy for my at home after work dripping treats and DIY Juice testing.
Then my regulateds with RTA/ RDTA usualy for work and driving...
I enjoy all the aspects of vaping and each have their pro's and con's depending on your circumstances/ environment.

Back