2nd hand prices

Personally I think people are looking to much into this.
If you have a willing seller and willing buyer, the price is reasonable for that specific transaction.
Market forces will ultimately dictate the price over time. If you feel the price is too high move on, if you not happy with a counter offer from a potential buyer say no thank you and move on.

I'm sorry I'm battling to see the problem, the only issue I would have is if people were negatively commenting and offering their unasked for opinion on people's ads, because it seriously is none of their business....
From what I've seen there is very little of this on the Forum, and admin seem to be very good at nipping what there is in the bud.

Last edited:
I agree with most replies here. the reason for this thread you ask?
i don't want to go post on someones add and tell them their price it too high, or this or that, that is just disrespectful and in no way do i want to impact other users ability to sell their items.
like maybe there would be a potential buyer that is happy to pay a certain price, and i go and comment saying hey mr, your price is not right blah blah, and then that user loses his sale. I'm not that guy.

In the same breath, i just though i need to get it out there that I FEEL that some 2nd prices are way to high, in my OPINION.
i just don't want it to become the norm where sellers feel because everyone is asking high-ish pricing, that it is now accepted as a standard that you can go crazy on all prices and not budge on your ask.

but i agree, willing buyer, willing seller. i have bought 2nd hand gear at a relatively high price (REO) this was when they where not easily available as they are today.
and I have sold items for like R50 - R20 a tank.

I guess my main reason is basically to let buyers know that they don't have to settle for crazy prices, 2nd hand classifieds is almost never a sellers market.

I have sold items for like R50 - R20 a tank.

I guess my main reason is basically to let buyers know that they don't have to settle for crazy prices, 2nd hand classifieds is almost never a sellers market.

When you have one of those tanks for for R20 let me know please :) So i can buy it and sell it for R200 :-D

Stephen, I must admit, I am often seriously tempted to tell a buyer "Dude, I can buy new for R10 less than you're charging..." But as you say, it's none of my business. And then why should I do their research for them? If people aren't jumping at their offer, they need to do the math themselves.

That said, I've had very good buying experiences in the classifieds. I've never sold anything because I choose my gear very carefully. But I've bought two items and got very good deals on both. I also collected from one seller, which allowed me the opportunity to chat to him and pick up a ton of great info on DIY juice-mixing. So win-win.

@Silver a suggestion that may alleviate a lot of the issues raised in this thread. Why not insist on the New Recommended Retail Price being included with every classified ad.

@Silver a suggestion that may alleviate a lot of the issues raised in this thread. Why not insist on the New Recommended Retail Price being included with every classified ad.
dont think this is needed for our forum, most member here know all the vendors sites and can do a quick check.
just to remind all, that the high prices i was referring to is mostly linked to a facebook group. only isolated incidents/posts spotted on our classifieds section.

dont think this is needed for our forum, most member here know all the vendors sites and can do a quick check.
just to remind all, that the high prices i was referring to is mostly linked to a facebook group. only isolated incidents/posts spotted on our classifieds section.
I was thinking about new vapers having some context and buying with confidence.

But even for experienced vapers and just looking at today's classifieds, how many people would know the landed recommended retail price of the Smy DNA200 or the Efusion Duo.

Creating context is never a bad thing

I agree @Stephen - that more info is always better and as you say, creating context is good. Thanks for the suggestion.

But we have loads of admin already - around making sure folk put in all the required info - and asking them to put in another bit of info is going to increase the load. Also, the new price varies from retailer to retailer so i think there may be arguments and debate on what that price is.

Our view on the Classifieds is that if members submit all the info then it should all be fine. If something is too expensive, rather move on to the next advert. Keep the classifieds discussions on topic. We may at some point introduce minimum post restrictions for posting new threads in the Classifieds.

I agree with most replies here. the reason for this thread you ask?
i don't want to go post on someones add and tell them their price it too high, or this or that, that is just disrespectful and in no way do i want to impact other users ability to sell their items.
like maybe there would be a potential buyer that is happy to pay a certain price, and i go and comment saying hey mr, your price is not right blah blah, and then that user loses his sale. I'm not that guy.

In the same breath, i just though i need to get it out there that I FEEL that some 2nd prices are way to high, in my OPINION.
i just don't want it to become the norm where sellers feel because everyone is asking high-ish pricing, that it is now accepted as a standard that you can go crazy on all prices and not budge on your ask.

but i agree, willing buyer, willing seller. i have bought 2nd hand gear at a relatively high price (REO) this was when they where not easily available as they are today.
and I have sold items for like R50 - R20 a tank.

Agreed.

And im thankful that this might provoke more sensible trading.

I for one wont chip in a sales thread to tell the person theyre asking too much. I just move on. And thus, ive seen plenty stuff that i moved on... just because i believed the person wanted too much.

I dont know if the person was willing to negotiate. Dont care either, i dont like shopping at flea markets.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This is a bad idea, you would be essentially turing this entire forum upside down. This is heading towards the car market way of operation where second hand deals will pay what the "market rate it" or where insurance pays out what they think all cars of that model go for despite the load of extras (petty example but the point stands). Again there are way to many factors to take into place, different shipping methods (DHL, express, standard, freight all at different costs each), some shop owners buy stock from other owners who bulk order, some owners want to undercut the market and others have overheads to cover. Saying a mod should sell at RXXX however your selling it for RYYY just because market shows this is the cost price is wrong.

Like others have said different situations will account for different offers, I would pay a premium for someone who handled the import cost and hassle vs someone who simply has a standard device I can ship myself. Then there are others who dont mind a small knock off a shelf price be it second hand and others that prefer a brand new device.

The way the system works is how many other forums and classifieds do, if the price is to high for you move on. This forum will without a doubt call out guys overcharging people (simple research by a buyer should also raise flags).

Like others have said different situations will account for different offers, I would pay a premium for someone who handled the import cost and hassle vs someone who simply has a standard device I can ship myself. Then there are others who dont mind a small knock off a shelf price be it second hand and others that prefer a brand new device.

I agree with on imports, expect to pay more off a buyer who did.

But a point I made earlier, if you bought it locally, and you bought it from an expensive retailer. Then you should at least see what the cheap retailers are selling it for.

So if you paid R800 from retailer X, and retailer Y is selling it for R600... Don't expect to get R590, because you paid R800.

I've seen plenty of unreasonable prices here, where a person should've done themselves a favour, and done some homework.

The point I'm making, "situations differ," but as a seller don't mane your "situation" someone else's problem. You just going to clutter up the classifieds :)

I've done a bit of research on this.

Months used vs damage on device price paid to new price.

Got a excel spreadsheet for these kinda ask

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back