A tank for Duffie

The first coil I used in my Avo 24 was a pre-made 1Ω Geekvape Clapton. It worked fine and suited my vaping style of lower wattages around the 30W mark. But I didn't see any reason to persist with it. I have my own Ni80 simple single coils in there now. I don't really bother myself with these details. I just gooi something in there, push the Fire button and kap 'n vape, boet. It's all good.

If you are nervous about rolling your own, I reckon one of those Lemaga boxes with 48 premade coils would last you about a zillionty years. They're probably not the best coils ever but they do what it says on the box. I'd rather roll my own, though. You have more control over coil width, inner diameter, wire type, resistance, etc. Ag no man, look - now I am concerned about the details. Anyway, just go for it. Coiling isn't difficult.

The first coil I used in my Avo 24 was a pre-made 1Ω Geekvape Clapton. It worked fine and suited my vaping style of lower wattages around the 30W mark. But I didn't see any reason to persist with it. I have my own Ni80 simple single coils in there now. I don't really bother myself with these details. I just gooi something in there, push the Fire button and kap 'n vape, boet. It's all good.

If you are nervous about rolling your own, I reckon one of those Lemaga boxes with 48 premade coils would last you about a zillionty years. They're probably not the best coils ever but they do what it says on the box. I'd rather roll my own, though. You have more control over coil width, inner diameter, wire type, resistance, etc. Ag no man, look - now I am concerned about the details. Anyway, just go for it. Coiling isn't difficult.

Well, I've already got some pre-rolled UD coils, 1.2 ohm vanillas and 0.5 ohm claptons, just never got round to using them... was always intimidated by a dripper I won... They're 2.8mm ID so should be fine. I was curious though if anyone else had pre-rolled coil recommendations.

Okay guys, looks like I've got an interesting weekend ahead. VapeMail came with my brand new Avocado 24...

Thanks @Rob Fisher, to be honest I liked the draw of the target and Melo 3 with the 0.9 cCells that I had so an RTA that is similar to that would be great. I don't like too tight a draw so maybe I should've been more specific.

Will have a look thanks for the suggestion :)

Will also add it to my consideration list :)

Thanks @Soutie I was tempted to try the Estoc but if the Goblin is better it certainly jumps up in my list. How easy is the Goblin to build on/wick? What builds do you have in your wife's tank vs yours? Interested in how they compare. Maybe I should go for the SM if it is easier for a first RTA. I really don't do well building. I had a Sapor RDA and never managed to use it. That's why I was hoping to buy some of them pre-rolled coils which seem to be available.

Thanks for that as well.
Though I don't own the Merlin I have heard nothing but good things about it.for a flavor and ease of building combination I love the OBS engine. I do own a Gob mini,good flavor but a small deck but I think it's worth the effort and if the screw hole fill doesn't bother you it can be found for under 20 bucks for the V1.

What are your thoughts on it?
Okay, initial thoughts :)

Please note this are merely my initial impressions and not in any way a review.

In hindsight the Avo 24 (bottom airflow) might not have been the easiest intro into an RTA, it seems a little finicky but that might be true for others. I'm not referring to building on it but rather the tank itself. It has a center post you need to take out so that you can take the tank apart. On first try I removed the little connector screw but the center post stayed in (I didn't know that) and couldn't get the tank apart. Tried again only for the one coil connector post (which is attached to the center post) to come off. Third try lucky screwed it in tight (the connector and the connector post) and got the center post out to give the tank a good rinse/clean. Didn't look or smell like it had any coolant/machine oil on it but cleaned it anyway. Putting it together was much easier. I am slightly concerned that the one connector post comes off, worried I might lose it, but yeah...

Okay second issue is that the prerolled 1 ohm coils I gad didn't fit, the connection posts are too far apart!
Luckily I also had some 0.5 ohm prerolled coils (2.8mm ID), these were claptons supplied by UD. Got it in a little easier but still had to bend the coil a bit (hope it didn't affect it (e.g. hotspots), have no way of knowing, but it looks okay. Did a single coil build. Wicked it with cotton bacon v2. Didn't do any fancy scottish roll techniques just rolled the cotton a bit and put it through the coil snipped it and tucked it into the juice holes so it just peaks into the glass (as suggested by many). It also has a juice flow control slider which appears to be useless, anything other than completely open looks like you wouldn't be able to get any cotton into the holes (maybe if you have a really small ID build?).

Now I know people complained about this but I thought it looked simple enough in videos... but boy is it tough to fill. Getting a dropper through the cotton and filling wasn't easy. Here is where the vanilla Avo 24 might be better, it has a little fill port which on the bottom airflow version is the airflow hole. Since I had a single coil build the solution is easy, remove the plug, fill through where the second coil would be, replace the plug. For those who want 2 coil builds maybe the vanilla version is better in this regard (though perhaps the bottom airflow is better for flavour?).

Okay, so how does it vape? Well this thing has a lot of airflow! The standard drip tip is a wide bore one. It comes with an adapter for regular 510 driptips but its a little finicky to get in, all plastic and no o-ring, so doesn't compress/slide in easy. That said by closing the airflow slots a bit, even with the wide bore driptip, I could get a restricted lung hit which is what I like. It does feel odd that the air is coming from one side. This could be fixed if I could get the darn thing to line up with the airhole pointing down when I tilt to vape but I have no idea how to do that. On my iStick 60W the airhole and coils point to the right, so I need to be careful to tilt it sideways to get both wicks wet. That might be my mod though, or maybe I just need to try a few more angles when screwing it in.

Flavour? Well, of course this all depends on the build and I have 0 experience and through in a pre-rolled coil. Flavour right now is a little underwhelming. It certainly is good, but it isn't better than some commercial coils I've tried (cCells or ECMLs). Of course it is only the beginning so after playing around I might get it better, I only used low watts so maybe it is that too.

That's the short of it, (even though it is a long post...). Of course I have fomo so I keep thinking whether I should have gotton a goblin or serpent, but for now it is good and at least I don't have to worry about leaks (other than when I try to fill the thing!)

Back