Abused Reos - CONTEST!

Eric Parlin

New Vaper
LV

Awards
As we all know, Reos are designed to be able to take abuse. Getting dropped into a bucket of water - no big deal. Having your Reo fall out of your pocket onto a cement floor - just brush it off and enjoy. Leaving it outside overnight and finding it covered with dew drop - who cares? Reos are tough and reliable.

But, I think some of us tend to have some great stories behind the level of abuse that their Reos endure. To that end, I'd like to hear some of the Reos war stories. Please reply to this thread with a short story for everyone about how you have mistreated your Reo (pics are also encouraged).

We will then randomly choose a story from all entries received by 31 January 2018 and send that person a new Reo to replace their beaten up Reo. To make sure we get the winner the right mod, please include your dream Reo's style and color as part of your entry.

We encourage everyone to enter as many times as they would like. Every post with a story will be entered into the drawing.

This is a GREAT thread!

Ok I will kick off.

However, let me just say upfront @Eric Parlin that I will not be putting myself forward for the competition. I just do not feel it is right for me as part of the Admin and Mod team to win a competition of this nature. Rather let it go to another member. I just want to kick off this thread to get things going and to signal my appreciation for your efforts here.

I have not ill-treated my Reos. In fact, I treat my Reos so carefully that some would say I treat them too carefully. They never touch any other mod, always have their own pouch or compartment in the man bag. I also put them down carefully and I have probably dropped a Reo once or twice in 3.5 years! (They do fall over quite often because of the shape of the bottom, but I have hardly dropped them)

I watched that video that Super_X_Drifter put up a while back. It was the one where he was trying to demonstrate how much pain a Reo can take and still work. That was the one where he used it as a hockey puck etc. That video made me cringe - even though I was happy to know that the Reo can take punishment.

My biggest war story of my Reo is hardly a war story. Lol. I dropped it once from about waist height onto a tiled floor a few months after getting my Reos - and I was so petrified it would be broken. I was scared to pick it up. All that broke was the delrin drip tip (It snapped at about the height of the RM2 opening). No problem, I had a few spare driptips. Took me a while to figure out how to get the broken piece out of there. Hehe. I checked that Reo very carefully afterward and there was a tiny chip/indentation in the raw tumbled body on the one bottom corner. See picture below.

1b1079905e24b4fd990afc8882a88cd4.jpg

That is the extent of the damage. Been meaning to buff it out, but haven't yet. It doesn't need it, just adds some character!

Otherwise my Reos are still rock solid like the day I got them. Am very happy with them. Delighted to know that they can take way more abuse than I would probably ever be comfortable exposing them to ;-)

9bcbda971b75d1c98c15a86971178f8a.jpg

Reo Silver, Reo Red, Reo Black (aka Thumper), Reo Mini (aka Missilie Mini / Scud)

Last edited:
The only REO war story was with my very first Woodvil I got second hand from a Reonaut in the USA... it was the little one (18490) and was made from Oak and I loved it so much because in those days Woodvil's were as scarce as rocking horse crap... we went for a vape meet in CT and I packed all my vape gear into a little aluminium case which protected them... however being at a vape meet some more gear was purchased and shoved into the little case... and as it was my very first Woodvil I didn't realise they had an on and off switch... one of the extra bottle of juices bought was now right next to the fire button and closing the lid of the little case cased the mod to fire and I didn't realise... suffice to say I was devastated and thought my Woodvil was history! I was sad and told the story on the forum and @johan whom I didn't know very well at the time told me to send it to him and he would fix it for me... we have been the best of mates ever since!
Woodvil 18490 - 1.jpg Woodvil 18490 - 2.jpg

I remember that saga clearly @Rob Fisher
Having a mod auto fire is not a nice thing
Thankfully it could get fixed!

My reo story is one of non existence. Ive never owned one, nor abused one. Ive never driven a truck over it, nor used it one as a hockey puck. I once thought about using one as an impromptu hammer, but I didn't have one, so I went with an impromptu pliers hammer instead.

I once had the inclination to... Actually, no I didn't, cos before this post I didn't really know what the reo mod was, nor what the pros/cons were.

So now I find myself thinking a few things:
1. This is a pretty great thread, mostly cos I learnt something new, and if there is good response, ill get get a few genuine and honest stories of the reo toughness

2. I have something new to search on youtube

3. Should I buy a reo, beat it up, tell the story, so I can win a new one?

Roflcopters!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Wow! What an epic competition @Eric Parlin !

I wish I had a story of a REO beating but I'm so careful with it that it doesn't have a single war story.

Looking forward to reading these!

Unfortunately I do not own one of these amazing devices
But this is an awesome comp, good luck to everyone entering!

Wow - four days into the contest and only two people with actual stories?

You guys realize these mods are meant to be used, not to just sit on a shelf and look pretty, right?

Let's get some more pictures and stories of beat up and abused Reos out here!

Wow - four days into the contest and only two people with actual stories?

You guys realize these mods are meant to be used, not to just sit on a shelf and look pretty, right?

Let's get some more pictures and stories of beat up and abused Reos out here!
Thats the problem. Its not so easy to abuse a Reo, they are too tough

Not really abused Reos but my story on the repairs I have done to the Reos that I have purchased.

The first Reo I purchased was a white LP Grand and it used to always leak from under the Delrin cover. It used to drive me mad and I tried everything to try and stop it but nothing worked….until I heard about the liquid plumbers paste on the thread on the little nipple where the pipe goes on. I did not have liquid plumbers paste (at that time) and used normal thread tape.
Bingo, problem solved and my faith restored in Reos.

I was hooked, Reos was my future, I had found what was missing in my vape life.

After gathering a few Grands I thought it was time for a Mini. I bought this one of a forum member.

mini 1.jpg mini 2.jpg

It came with a brass door and I wanted a normal slotted door and I managed to get this off another forum member.
It was missing a magnet which was not a train smash.

mini door.jpg
I was not too concerned about the paintwork on the mini or the colour of the door.
I stripped them both down, added a magnet to the door and I now have a raw mini that can take a punch.

mini front.jpg mini back.jpg mini inside.jpg

Next was a Woodvil, also off the forum. A lovely little thing that takes a 14500 battery. It was in good condition but needed some attention. I sanded it down to get all the bumps out and smooth it out. Then a few coats of Boiled Linseed oil and finished off with some Tru Oil.
I just wish I could find batteries for this thing. The size is great and my tobacco's just taste so much better in here. Im sure its the wood smell you get when you take a toot that adds to the taste.

woodvil 1.jpg woodvil 2.jpg

This last one I cannot take credit for. All credit goes to @Christos for the repairs on this Woodvil. You can read more here.
Around the 510 was burnt and he restored it.
All I had to do was sand the bottom flat again to make it stand, (I think @Christos got too exited with the sand paper :D) fix the door a little and a quick coat of Tru Oil.

woodvil 4.jpg

Incredible restorations @GregF !
I recall one or two of these before - but its so great to see them here in one post!!

As @GregF mentioned I did have a woodvil that I abused daily for a long time and the 510 wit wich was because of the 510 being loose and I was a goose and never did anything about it until it was too late.

As for the grand I never really abused them but I did manage to drop my sl once. The reo came out remarkable undamaged but my kitchen floor was not so lucky...

Reo 1 kitchen floor 0.
20171225_071113.jpg

My Zebra wood with Ebony door Woodvil got into a little skirmish many months ago. Was driving along with the Woodvil in cup holder when something started smelling strange - I forgot to lock the button, which pressed against the side of the cup holder and firing for at least a minute when I detected it. The atty was at hot as hell. Quickly removed the battery. When it cooled down the only damage was some black scarring around the 510 and magnet on the inside. Still going strong.

My favourite/dream Reo is still a LP Reo Grand Tumbled! Although I have been tempted by a Hammertone many a time.

kmpojyX.jpg

I was watching this thread for a while and must admit I WANT A REO.I am quite new to vaping and devices.i am learning everyday,but I think it looks awesome doesn't matter which material and colour choice the woodville purple heart with beach door the aluminium with the slotted door.even if I could afford one I wouldn't know which one to choose and I can see why the veteran vapers own most of what's available
so no war stories from me just REO envy

Just over two weeks left to get your stories in.

Anybody ever drop their Reo in a river? What about running over it with a truck? I heard both of those stories recently at a Vape Expo here in the States.

Just over two weeks left to get your stories in.

Anybody ever drop their Reo in a river? What about running over it with a truck? I heard both of those stories recently at a Vape Expo here in the States.

@Jos did drop his REO in a dam... but he never got it back! But one day if they ever drain the dam all it will take is a quick recoil and off you go! :D

I dropped mine in the ocean.
Spent a couple hours kicking around the sand, and did find it.
Rinsed it off and popped in a carto I keep in the car for emergencies.
Worked great (as great as a carto gets) till I returned home.

By the sound of things if a Nokia 3310 and a Reo collide you might look at a nuclear explosion.

I don't think reos are deliberately abused here in ZA.it is the rolls Royce of the vape mods on this forum and if its accidental then its a trainsmash to the owner...the day the world stould still

My Reo story is more of a grand journey that is ongoing, it's a testament to the reliability only a Reo offers, currently I'm a skipper on a rescue boat in Langebaan, we look after all the watersport schools and tourists, mostly kite surfers and windsurfers. My Reos spends 8 to 10 hours a day on the ocean with me in all kinds of weather, we operate in high wind conditions, gear gets destroyed like you can't imagine but these Reos keep chugging along.
IMG_20171209_132939.jpg

In the 3+ yrs Ive had the girls, not once did they ever let me down, its a weird feeling, I'm almost grateful for the experience hahaha My white Reo was the 'beater' and the black Reo which was in mint condition (past tense) was my pride and joy, here's a few pics I took after work today.

IMG_20180114_175059.jpg

The white Reo has more scars but she was my first :icon12: Both have traveled all over SA which is where most of the scars on the white reo originates from but thats another story lol

IMG_20180114_174850.jpg IMG_20180114_174903.jpg IMG_20180114_174936.jpg

And here's what was my mint condition Reo until my housemate pulled a Naas Boeta and drop kicked it :BangsHeads: no jokes, I slapped him XD

IMG_20180114_174954.jpg IMG_20180114_174945.jpg IMG_20180114_175021.jpg IMG_20180114_175033.jpg

:coleman:Reo Grand SL:coleman:
Boss level
Norris level:chuck:

Gold Vein or Hammertone will be my next Reo if I ever get the chance again :hi:

Last edited:
My REO was involved in an unfortunate incident duning my tour of duty aboard the USS Enterprise.

Funny story.

Star-date 61428.9, the Enterprise was docked at star base DS9 on a mission to normalise relations between the Ferengi and the Kardashians whom laid claim to the nearby worm hole that served as major trade route between the Alpha and Gamma quadrants.

The Ferengi, ever the capitalist opportunists, used this route to establish and maintain new trade relations with distant planets in the Gamma quadrant, unreachable by any other means. As the Ferengi reputation for being less that trustworthy trade partners was not yet known in this newly accessible region of space, the Ferengi were hell bent on maximising their profits before word got around.
It is a well know fact that they would risk life and limb and even their lives in the pursuit of profits.

The Kardashians, a warring race, whom originally developed the Deep Space Nine star base, claimed that the worm hole was their property by right of discovery and demanded payment from the Ferengi, whom they disliked profusely, for the use thereof. They had at this point barricaded access to the wormhole, refusing any Ferengi ships use of it

Events quickly escalated to a situation that endangered the fragile peace that was only recently established in this region of space and we were called upon to mediate a lasting resolution to the dispute.

The disagreeing parties were invited to participate in mediation procedures on Jeraddo a moon belonging to the eleventh planet of the Bajoran system, Bajor. This was agreed to as being neutral territory in respect of all involved parties and negotiations were set to commence the following day.

As the Enterprise was also undergoing a refit of its warp drives, an upgrade that required us to import various new technologies developed and manufactured in the Gamma quadrant, regular transports between the distant suppliers and DS9 were arriving and departing through the wormhole on a daily basis.

As chief logistics coordinator for Star-fleet, it was my duty to oversee these acquisitions and maintain relations with our new distant allies. As a result, I on occasion accompanied departing freighters on acquisition missions.

Quark, a Ferengi barkeep on DS9 and local wheeler and dealer was however, unbeknown to Star Fleet and against regulation, using these transports to conduct some of his own illicit trading. Being the only Ferengi capable of trade with the lucrative region beyond the wormhole made him excessively greedy and forsaking all sense of caution was risking the success of not only our mission but the stability of the region as a whole. The man became profit crazy, even by Ferengi standards.

So it came to be that I was on a transport returning from Pandora, a planet in the Gamma quadrant with huge natural resources of Unoptaneum, a mineral required to stabilize antimatter waste generated during high warp speeds. (Can best be described as the way Platinum is used in catalytic converters in this day and age.) Stowed away in the hold alongside our twenty kilos of Unoptaneum, was five kilos of Gold-pressed Latinum. Liquid Latinum suspended in gold dust. Quark's ill gained profits extracted from yet another unsuspecting “business partner”.
To put this in perspective, transporting Latinum and Unoptaneum in close proximity to each other is your times equivalent of having a barbecue in a methane filled coal mine.

I was having a vape (Vapour Mountain's Red Pill if I recall correctly) on my REO in one of the passenger cabins as we exited the wormhole and one of the sub space gravitational stabilisers, which maintain gravitational equilibrium aboard the craft, failed and all artificial gravity was lost.
Mayhem ensued as the sudden weightlessness disoriented everyone and everything on board. I let go of my Reo and it drifted across the room. At the same time, in the cargo bay, Latinum and Unoptaneum came in contact with each other causing an immediate and rapidly escalating rift in the subspace-time continuum.

It was clear to me that these events could see me or part of me ending up anywhere and at any point in time in the galaxy. I remember thinking that no matter what, past or future, I am not going there without my Reo. With waves of distorted time washing over me and my surroundings, I gathered up my senses and pushed off from whatever surface I was lying against towards my floating, appearing then disappearing (in time) Reo. Reaching for it with outstretched hand.

Last thing I remember before appearing here on earth four and a half centuries into history, is my hand closing around the Reo's cool tumbled aluminium body, my fingers feeling the slots in its vented door. I knew all would be OK.

Well, that's my true story. Both my hand and my Reo seem invisible as they still reside in a bend in time making them not present in the present yet only a time only offset by 10^-34 of a second.

It is difficult keeping track of an item displaced in time. I have lost the atty, battery and juice bottle. They are around somewhere but try as I may, I can not find them. Actually that is some good luck disguised as bad. The replacement parts are of this time and helps me find my Reo which I no doubt would have lost if it were not for them.

Well, after all that, you probably want proof. Here is a photo taken today:

IMG_0631[1].JPG

Regards

My one and only has hit the floor more times than I can remember. It would be a more like a novel, rather than story telling the stories.

All corners have been effected, but since it looks like a custom mod, it gives it a "hand made" look :). The door is no longer flush, because of me bending it staight again and again.

I'm clumsy, the Reo is sturdy, it's old... I'm not too phased. I use the green pot scourer thing to get scratches off.

It has been like a 1980's trusty Toyota Hilux!

My favourite tribute to Reo story:

My youngest daughter, couldn't swim yet. So I was watching her like a a hawk as the waves break at Hobby Beach Port Elizabeth. Anyway, she was letting the gentle backwash tow her while she was on her tummy. Reo in pocket, I panic as I thought she was going too far in. I get in the water, pick her up and starting walking back to shore... we get dunked by a decent wave.

Got out, took out the battery out and my wife and friends were like "oh no what about your mod, you going to need a new one now." Ummm... nope. Took out the battery out, run the Reo under water to get all the sand out, re-wicked, new battery and back to vaping.

Needless to say, I only take the Reo to the beach.
REO.jpg

My Dream Reo would be P67 Raw Metal Light Weight (the one with all the holes :))

p.s Sorry mods, the pic was rotated before I posted?

Last edited:
in the PIC your mod looks great,can see the door alignment is out.
take two pieces of wood and clamp your door between it then tap lightly to medium hard on the wood with a hammer and make sure the door part is on a flat when you do it @rogue zombie

Back