All about menthol and coolants

I have been using WS 23 Black Ice in one or two recipies, and Koolada in some others. It seems to me as if the Koolada does mute the flavour, and above .75 it irritates my throat, especially after a longer steep and vaping volume in consumption, whereas WS 23 does not have this effect.

I go about .75 to 1.25 WS23 on the fruity ADV's but I will be experimenting a bit with higher % as well going forward. Nice cooling effect, but I need one or two icy ones, so next mixing session will be a tryout as well hopefully. Also want to try replacing all Koolada with WS23 and try out with some Menthol and Spearmint , but will have to wait for after Januworry to order as deposit for accommodation and registration at NWU for Locust1 and new school clothes and blazer for Locust2 cleaned my slate, so vape budget is screwed properly for experimentation for this month.

Also agree with @Friep that higher wattage does bring more cold on WS23, as I vape between 20 and 40 watts and notice a slight difference but not sure how much of a change above these settings, but may have to try higher to see what happens.

1. WS-3:

Appearance: white crystalline powder

Chemical name: N-ETHYL-PARA-MENTHAN-3-CARBOXAMIDE

CAS# 39711-79-0

Formula: C13H25NO

Molecule Weight: 3455.00

Main features
  1. There is a high cooling effect without other unpleasant feelings such as bitterness, burning, stinging or tingling sensations and can bring more stimulative, fresh and aromatic sensory to the entire mouth and throat.

2. Its melting point is from 62°C to 64°C. It will not affect cooling perception of product even under temperature at 200°C.

3. Its cooling intensity can maintain 15~30 minutes and cooler than tradional menthol products.

4. When used with other flavors, it enhances the effects of the flavors. It also can be used with other cooling agents.

Usage:
  1. Daily use: toothpaste, oral products, Air Freshener, skin cream, shaving cream, shampoo, sunscreen, shower cream

2. Food: confectionery, chocolate, beer, distilled spirit, beverage, Chewing Gum,

3. Medicine: Linctus, diminish inflammation ointment, dyspepsia, antipruritic,

liniment, oral cavity acesodyne, heatstroke pill.

4. Other product: Cigarette, filter tip, tobacco, it also can be used in insectifuge

Method:

Dissolve it in alcohol and propylene glycol, then add water solution, or dissolve it in flavor, then add it to the product. The result will be the best if it was used with Peppermint oil together.

Only really had experience with Koolada, WS-23, Menthol and Peppermint and those seem to have been covered pretty well by everyone.

An interesting tidbit that I read was the WS stands for Wilkinson Sword in both Koolada (WS-3) and WS-23 as they were developed as cooling agents to be used in shaving cream.

http://www.leffingwell.com/cooler_than_menthol.htm

Last edited:
Only really had experience with Koolada, WS-23, Menthol and Peppermint and those seem to have been covered pretty well by everyone.

An interesting tidbit that I read was the WS stands for Wilkinson Sword in both Koolada (WS-3) and WS-23 as they were developed as cooling agents to be used in shaving cream.

http://www.leffingwell.com/cooler_than_menthol.htm

Wow, thats so cool @Gonzilla !
Thanks for sharing that. I always wondered what the WS referred to
Wilkinson Sword!
I like it!

Put me down as another huge icy vaper lol.

At the moment the 2 I use most regularly are the Monsta Vape sweet and sour and fantasi ice orange juices. Both brands are Malaysian in origin.

I spend an absolute fortune on these 2 juices and to be honest I really need to start mixing my own juices.

Only issue I have is that I have no idea what ingredients they use for their juices. I’ve had a loo round the net and haven’t been able to find any clone type juices or recipes. I’ve been told they use koolada but not 100% sure on that as there are other cooling agents out there as mentioned above.

Anyone here know what their recipes consist of?? Or has no one used these juices??

Put me down as another huge icy vaper lol.

At the moment the 2 I use most regularly are the Monsta Vape sweet and sour and fantasi ice orange juices. Both brands are Malaysian in origin.

I spend an absolute fortune on these 2 juices and to be honest I really need to start mixing my own juices.

Only issue I have is that I have no idea what ingredients they use for their juices. I’ve had a loo round the net and haven’t been able to find any clone type juices or recipes. I’ve been told they use koolada but not 100% sure on that as there are other cooling agents out there as mentioned above.

Anyone here know what their recipes consist of?? Or has no one used these juices??
Here you go for the orange one. WS-23 is what gives it the icy.

Here you go for the orange one. WS-23 is what gives it the icy.

Wow thanks Andre you are a star dude.
Yeh I thought it might be ws 23 but wasn’t 100% sure.

Again thanks my man. I’ll have to get my mixing set up together and give it a go.

Just my luck... 2nd diy juice with ws23 (one was from a buddy who mixed a recipe for me after a three week steep) and both times I get no cooling at all, just an over whelming cardboard taste and slight sharp pain in my left lung :rolleyes:

Feel I need to mention it's 20% strength mixed at 1% and bought from same vendor... so might try blackice at a later stage

So guess the search for the Panama cooling effect continues :rolleyes:

Luckily it was only a small sample and I haven't made the two other recipes which require it

Just my luck... 2nd diy juice with ws23 (one was from a buddy who mixed a recipe for me after a three week steep) and both times I get no cooling at all, just an over whelming cardboard taste and slight sharp pain in my left lung :rolleyes:

Feel I need to mention it's 20% strength mixed at 1% and bought from same vendor... so might try blackice at a later stage

Luckily it was only a small sample and I haven't made the two other recipes which require it
Black ice is the business. I use it at 1-1.5% and it’s nice and icy just like I like it!!!

I rely on Black Ice from black vapour, use it from 0.5 to 2, but that is not for the faint hearted.

I rely on Black Ice from black vapour, use it from 0.5 to 2, but that is not for the faint hearted.
Probably will give polar blast a whirl .. on the off chance it's actually the chemical composition of ws that makes my mouth taste like moth balls mixed with salted dirt and expired yoghurt ( 2 hours later and I still have the after taste :rolleyes: )

Probably will give polar blast a whirl .. on the off chance it's actually the chemical composition of ws that makes my mouth taste like moth balls mixed with salted dirt and expired yoghurt ( 2 hours later and I still have the after taste :rolleyes: )
Worth a try, if I remember correctly @Silver has a reaction to Koolada, maybe the same for you with WS23-23. I haven't tried polar blast, so not sure of cooling and if it can overpower a mix, maybe someone who has used it may be able to advise

Worth a try, if I remember correctly @Silver has a reaction to Koolada, maybe the same for you with WS23-23. I haven't tried polar blast, so not sure of cooling and if it can overpower a mix, maybe someone who has used it may be able to advise

Will try make a plan tomorrow if I come right I'll share my findings :)

Will try make a plan tomorrow if I come right I'll share my findings :)
FA Polar Blast is more or less the same strength as TFA Koolada, but without the cardboard taste or throat reaction some get. Far less cooling than WS23.

The only concentrate that I've ever played around with is Koolada. I used to mix it with Bombies Nana Cream back in the day for a nice cooling effect, it worked great for a mix and vape right away. But if left to steep for a few days or even the next day, became unvapable for me. I get a very bad throat reaction from this stuff. \that's why I was surprised at the winning DIY juice from Vape-Con last year, No matter what, the koolada in there just had me coughing my lungs out, and I tried a few times. And yet many others were perfectly fine with it, as I witnessed to my amazement.

With the heat we get in this country, its always nice to have an ice cold vape!

So what are your favourite coolants and menthols?

TFA Menthol, FW Extreme Ice, WS23....

And why?

View attachment 118307

I love my icy vapes and over the years I have added menthol to several commercial fruity and tobacco vapes with great effect. I have only tried TFA menthol and Vapour Mountain Menthol concentrate. Have settled on the VM menthol concentrate. I find it very good. Maybe its just me but it has a pure sort of taste and i find it quite strong. Gives me a nice throat singe! Have been using it for a long time!

Now on the DIY trail, i have tried FW Extreme Ice in the Bruised Berry Ice recipe. Am trying to let it steep to see if the "Wicks" bubblegum or Vicks type of taste will subside a little.

Am hoping to try more coolants in future but would love to hear from the other members what your findings are?

How cold is it? Does it have any other flavours in it? How "pure" tasting is it? What makes a good coolant for you?

I have begun to use WS23 (about 1.5%) with some premix flavours as well. I find some premix flavours to be very hash on the throat sometimes and this helps. Even after a good steep.

At some point I used it on almost every flavour I mixed. I absolutely love the icy cool effect.

I have begun to use WS23 (about 1.5%) with some premix flavours as well. I find some premix flavours to be very hash on the throat sometimes and this helps. Even after a good steep.

At some point I used it on almost every flavour I mixed. I absolutely love the icy cool effect.

That makes two of us that love the icy cool effect @Syd-meister
There is something so amazing about an ice cold vape
If I vape a fruity juice without ice its average, add ice and its brilliant!

At least i know im not alone

Hi All,

Sorry if this might have been mentioned somewhere else already.

I am new to DIY and have only used black ice(WS-23) in my mixes which I enjoy, however, I find that it doesn't actually cool the vape on inhale or exhale? Rather, it kind of freezes the throat after you have exhaled and inhale good'ol oxygen.

Does anyone else have this experience and can you perhaps recommend something that actually hits the throat cool without a peppermint or menthol flavour?

Thanks!

I have been using Mount Baker Menthol concentrate and it tends to crystallise or turn into a sludge in cold weather. The supplier said it is typical of menthol to do so.
I buy 500ml ready mixed at a time but due to the above prob it tends to separate so the last half of the bottle tastes disgustingly burned even at the lowest voltage setting.

Hi All,

Sorry if this might have been mentioned somewhere else already.

I am new to DIY and have only used black ice(WS-23) in my mixes which I enjoy, however, I find that it doesn't actually cool the vape on inhale or exhale? Rather, it kind of freezes the throat after you have exhaled and inhale good'ol oxygen.

Does anyone else have this experience and can you perhaps recommend something that actually hits the throat cool without a peppermint or menthol flavour?

Thanks!
Try FA Polar Blast for cool on the inhale, @KapteinSM.

Back