Battery Venting and Exploding

Thanks for posting this @Rob Fisher. This is an excellent video by Matt!

In response to the recent vaping accident I mentioned we need to do what we can to educate vapers about battery safety and safe vaping practice.

We need to embrace these types of videos. I suggest that all vapers especially newer vapers watch it and take note.

I will try summarise some of the salient points of the video here:

The main message he is putting forward is that the majority of bad vaping accidents are happening when batteries are shorted while using a mech mod. In most cases it is user error.

So when using mech mods you need to be 100% certain of the following:
  • That your battery is in good condition, especially the wrap. If there are tears or any damage to the wrap, dont use that battery, rather get another one
  • If using a hybrid mech mod (where the atty pin touches the battery positive) make sure the atty has a protruding positive pin. If it does not protrude, it can cause a short.
  • Check there are no shorts with your build in the atty itself. Maybe the coil is touchiny where it shouldnt. Check with an ohm meter before firing on the mch mod and check regularly in case something may have moved with repetitive rewicking.
  • Understand ohms law and build a coil well within the limits of your battery
Then regarding using any external battery, never carry them loose in your pocket or bag. A coin or key can touch the positive and negative and cause it to short and possibly vent. Always use a battery sleeve or dedicated container when carrying batteries.

If you want to vape and dont want to worry about the above - or you dont understand the above - then dont get a mechanical mod. Rather go for a regulated mod with built in short circuit protection.

Battery safety and safe vaping practice is vitally important.

Last edited:
Why are 18650 batteries released with thin, flimsy plastic covers that can tear easily and increase the chances of a short? AA and AAA batteries are manufactured with very sturdy covers/wraps that resist damage and tearing. Is there a reason why 18650s aren't?

Why are 18650 batteries released with thin, flimsy plastic covers that can tear easily and increase the chances of a short? AA and AAA batteries are manufactured with very sturdy covers/wraps that resist damage and tearing. Is there a reason why 18650s aren't?

That's a really good point @RichJB... I can only imagine it's because 18650's were maybe designed to be used inside devices like laptop battery packs in thier own secure case... but this is a wild guess...

Battery safety always...
20170122_112324_HDR.jpg

All vape srores be it B&M or online should make a standard battery safety pamphlet (even just a stupid little photo copied pamphlet) which they should give out when ever someone buys a new mod.

Be it a regulated or a mech mod.

There should also be a little test that somoeone does when purchasing a mech mod.

Sir vape does this By just asking you some questions which you answer verbaly when you buy in house, i know this because i have purchased mechs from them before (instore and online) but then there is a flaw in the system as you can just purchase it online without the test.

But the pamphlet idea i think is a good way to start some sort of safety with batteries moving forward.

Unfortunately, just like most motorcyclists can confirm, we become 'tame' the more we push the boundaries. The more we tend to speed or drive reckless with no ill effects, the more prone we become to keep on doing the stupid things we do. That is, until that one fateful day when the stuff hits the fan and, and you realize that are not really equipped or experienced enough to deal with the situation that arises. Unfortunately, it's also too late at that stage. Best is not to get to that point at all.

Don't be one of the vapers that continually push the limits - keep safe margins in your builds and regularly inspect your devices and batteries. Don't carry batteries that are not in a case or protective sleeve of their own. Keep your side clean.

I know that most of the ECIGSSA members are quite conscious about battery safety, and regularly will touch on safety awareness in response to a post from a new or less experienced member. Unfortunately we cannot force all members to read those posts, and can only hope that they do see one or two of these posts and that the information sticks.

I still think all vendors should include a safety leaflet like this one with each and every battery set purchased from them. I'll gladly pick up the cost for an extra 5 or 10 bucks that they would need to recover the costs. If I don't need it, I can also pass it on to someone else. Most electronic devices will include some warning about battery safety, but I don't think most bare-bones mods do. Quite a few clones are made as cheap as possible and includes no leaflets with the mod at all. Even some of the original mods don't have any manuals that touches on the safety aspects, they just cover the operational basics.

Vendors are the main source for most of the batteries we vapers use. As a noob vaper, I'm not going to order 20 sub-standard 1850 batteries from the cheapest source I can find, I'm going to start with a device and batteries from a B&M or an easily accessible kiosk somewhere. This purchase, be it a vape pen, a regulated mod or a mech MUST include some battery safety information. If there are any form of battery - especially 18650s - involved, I'd expect the vendor to tell me about any potential hazards, even if they just stuff a leaflet in my hand and tell me to please ensure I read and understand that before I use the device.

As an interest group on the internet, we probably reach only the enthusiasts of which most will pick up on the safety aspects very quick. Vendors deal with a far larger market and have the potential to make a big difference and raise awareness with most of their customers.

Battery safety always...
View attachment 82463

All vape srores be it B&M or online should make a standard battery safety pamphlet (even just a stupid little photo copied pamphlet) which they should give out when ever someone buys a new mod.

Be it a regulated or a mech mod.

There should also be a little test that somoeone does when purchasing a mech mod.

Sir vape does this By just asking you some questions which you answer verbaly when you buy in house, i know this because i have purchased mechs from them before (instore and online) but then there is a flaw in the system as you can just purchase it online without the test.

But the pamphlet idea i think is a good way to start some sort of safety with batteries moving forward.
I wholeheartedly support the idea of information leaflets to be supplied with all high drain batteries for all applications. Not only vaping, but not ignoring vaping.

Even toasters come with warning info.

This thread has been stickied

Lets hope as many members watch the video as possible

It comes down to this:

mensewatdinkhulleissmart.jpg

Great thread and super informative video.

Also, just because the 510 protrudes, it does not necessarily mean it's safe on a hybrid. Even after screwing the 510 pin out a bit, push the pin down hard on a table top to see if it goes back in. Sometimes the protruding 510 pin is just holding the center post in place, especially on the older 3 post RDA's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to add to the above comment, today I did the little table test on my clone Goon 22mm RDA's. The 510 pin goes straight back in. The pin is just holding the posts in the base of the RDA.

I could of had a disaster on my hybrid top Mech mods had I not done the table test.

And here I thought all RDAs are mech mod friendly

Learnt something new today

Last edited:
Wow Thanx for that Share @Rob Fisher I had a friend that was concerned a day or two ago and I have shared this with him to provide some insight. I also shared it to FB as I was tagged in the latest mod failure article about 8 times so this will stop me from Sighing at everyone on my friends list

Would you say this battery, without any damage is safe. I GOT IT FROM THE VAPE SHOP THEN I PURCHASE MY MOD, ONLY SAW THE ALERT LATER WHEN I OPENED IT.

Would you say this battery, without any damage is safe. I GOT IT FROM THE VAPE SHOP THEN I PURCHASE MY MOD, ONLY SAW THE ALERT LATER WHEN I OPENED IT.

Yeah it's safe ,, the warning is just there for regulation purposes.

Back