Building Coils - Basics For Newbies

Go Rob go!

You haven't started yet - but your preparation is certainly that of a champion!

If you still have your svd you can use that to check the ohms of your coil and to see if it is shorting or not.

I'm not saying don'y buy an ohm meter, just a suggestion if you wanna get rebuilding asap while your wait on your ohm meter.

Roger that! I will go search for an ohm meter now! I need all the crap and then some extra just to make me look more of a Pro!! :confused:

We are all rooting for you Rob!

And I agree with @TylerD on using the small black screwdriver as a start for your mandrel to wind the coil around. It makes it easier to hold while you wind the coil.

For 1.3 ohms as @Matthee suggested, I would guess about 8 wraps. Don't know how thick that screwdriver is - but if its a bit bigger than 1.5 mm then I think that 8 wraps will do. Check @Matthee's PDF he posted several posts ago.

Rob, Dischem Hillcrest stocks organic cotton pads. I haven't experienced any taste issues using that. The shell garage on Pioneer road has little blow torches which work like a bomb. Look at my DIY coil jig thread and make one for yourself from an old wire coat hanger. That little jig works like a bomb and makes it super easy. I'm in JHB until Wednesday but can pop past on Thursday evening if you need any help.

Rob, Dischem Hillcrest stocks organic cotton pads. I haven't experienced any taste issues using that. The shell garage on Pioneer road has little blow torches which work like a bomb. Look at my DIY coil jig thread and make one for yourself from an old wire coat hanger. That little jig works like a bomb and makes it super easy. I'm in JHB until Wednesday but can pop past on Thursday evening if you need any help.
How is the Mini taking to travelling?

Thanks Markus! That was about to be my next question... the cotton wool!

Will go check out your Jig now! Thanks!

Rob, I'm not familiar with your RBA, but I use the MVP as a ohm reader. Just press both buttons simultaneously and bobs your uncle. I bought an ohm reader from vapemob if you still want one.

Here is the link to the VapeMob one: http://vapemob.co.za/product/ohm-meter/

It appears that they only do Speedmail and not Door to Door Courier? Do you know of any other sites that do do Courier? I also fancy that little baby stealth eciggie they have and a couple of their drip tips... I have sent them a message to see if they do real shipping. :( They also not online here on our forums or am I just being blind?

Rob they sent my package overnight with fastway! Just drop them a mail to make 100% they do the same for you.

Rob they sent my package overnight with fastway! Just drop them a mail to make 100% they do the same for you.

They will indeed send it door to door! Message received and answered! Vape Mail on it's way shortly! :p

If you can, source the following bits from builder's warehouse:

2014-03-18 21.12.10.jpg 2014-03-18 21.12.42.jpg ??

The clamp is very very powerful, and I use it to hold the drillbit as a mandrel to form micro coils around.

The dremel drill bits for metal are weird sizes compared to regular drill bits 0.8, 1.2, 1.6 which provides additional options compared to normal 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 mm drill bits. I think it was R99 for the set

If you can, source the following bits from builder's warehouse:

The clamp is very very powerful, and I use it to hold the drillbit as a mandrel to form micro coils around.

Perfect! Thanks @devdev ... Builders warehouse is on my shopping list for tomorrow...
  • Organic Cotton Pads
  • Blowtorch
  • 1,5mm and 2mm Drill bits (Now changed to your suggestion)
  • Small Wire cutters
  • Baby Pliers
  • Small scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Small Tool Box

My pleasure, you will be the KZN coil maestro in no time!

I suggest you go watch some of RipTrippers videos on making coils. He has one where he lays out the list of useful tools he uses:

A pair of nail clippers also helps for trimming the coil legs once screwed into the base (Get a pair of the R20 cheapos from dischem)

For tweezers I found the ones which look like a pair of scissors can handle the most torque or hand pressure without bending or becoming useless. Basically they are like the handle on a pair of scissors, and then where the scissor blades would be there are the two flat bits which pluck or squash things. When pinching your coils together you need to apply quite a lot of force.

I would get the 1mm and 1.5 drill bits as well, that will cover you for most things. Also you will lose the bits pretty quickly, so rather waste the 1mm and 1.5mm bits when you are learning, and keep the dremel ones when you have got the handle on things

Some more coil pics.

This was from tonight's build, my first one on the KFL+ i got from Vape King last night
2014-03-18 20.42.04-2.jpg
32 gauge double twisted kanthal, came out at 0.55 ohms - much lower than expected. I was aiming for 1.0 ohm.

2014-03-18 20.42.04-3.jpg

Rob, see how the coil has heated from the inside towards the outside? That is how you want your coil to heat up when you dry fire it. It won't do this the first time you fire it, so you heat it up, then pinch with the scisso-wezeers, then heat, then pinch, and repeat about 3 times, pinching quite hard. This should result in the coil heating from center outwards.

This coil has serious throat hit, and makes me cough. Will rebuild tomorrow night with a proper 1.0 rig

Perfect! Thanks @devdev ... Builders warehouse is on my shopping list for tomorrow...
  • Organic Cotton Pads
  • Blowtorch
  • 1,5mm and 2mm Drill bits (Now changed to your suggestion)
  • Small Wire cutters
  • Baby Pliers
  • Small scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Small Tool Box
Add a big nailclipper to that list. Its the only way to cut silica neatly and works very well for trimming resistance wire.

@devdev - Have that same set of Dremel drill bits. The 1.6 mm is especially useful for certain wicking materials. Where did you find that "scissors" tweezers? Have been struggling with my normal tweezers and been on the lookout for something more practical - your's sounds perfect.

Tomorrow is going to be a fun time... Man I love this web site and you helpful bunch!

My two Nautilus's are very nervous! :rolleyes:

@devdevWhere did you find that "scissors" tweezers? Have been struggling with my normal tweezers and been on the lookout for something more practical - your's sounds perfect.

I got a pair at clicks and they very quickly got claimed by HRH. Same thing happens to my organic cottonballs and nailclippers......

Add a big nailclipper to that list. Its the only way to cut silica neatly and works very well for trimming resistance wire.
Nail clipper was frustrating for me. Difficult to position it to cut the tail ends, does not always cut wicking material cleanly, etc. Scissors much the same. Until I came upon the little thing below. Cuts anything - wire, cotton, silica - and cleanly every time.
u9reWKZ.jpg

Back