Burning, what am I doing wrong?

CyberJoe

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Howzit folks.

Started building a while ago, and using a Savour 22mm MTL RTA.
Suddenly I am battling with burning taste.

Decided to do yet another coil today, this is now about the 5th one in two days. Same wire, same specs everything. Previously it was 100%, now I am battling this burning taste issue.

Using Kanthal A1 28ga wire.
10 wraps on 3mm ID
It measures at 2ohms when I install it, and once wicked and juiced it measures at 2.5ohms.

Running at about 15 watts.

(There is no science or maths behind the above, trial and error, you know if pool there is that saying calling all pockets, well, that is pretty much how I started building!)2018-10-19 10.58.48.jpg 2018-10-19 11.00.20.jpg 2018-10-19 11.19.11.jpg 2018-10-19 11.22.58.jpg 2018-10-19 11.24.01.jpg 2018-10-19 11.24.38.jpg

Everything looks good to me @CyberJoe, does the burnt taste happen with all juices or a specific one?

Everything looks good to me @CyberJoe, does the burnt taste happen with all juices or a specific one?

I am a creature of habit, I only use one juice.

It used to be Liqua Traditional only, then I started mixing Menthol in, and then I found Cherry Blast from Blckvape, so currently using that. I cannot stand flavours. (It's like asking for raspberry flavoured Marlboro lights :))

Try a different juice. I used to vape one specific juice and every now and then it would taste burnt to me. To everyone else it would be fine. I now swop to a different juice everyday and haven't had it again.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Try a different juice. I used to vape one specific juice and every now and then it would taste burnt to me. To everyone else it would be fine. I now swop to a different juice everyday and haven't had it again.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

I think burn taste is not the correct description, throat burn? So it does not taste burned, it is pretty much unusable.

If I recall right, I had that issue with Ni80 wire. Turns out I have a nickel sensitivity. Now I can't use anything with nickel in it.

Perhaps switch to SS316 and see if that helps.

dit you do a dry burn
with no cotton in to get all the hot spots out
From the coil colour I would hazard a guess that he did not.

On my Nichrome coils I burn it quite a bit before coiling. The colour changes quite a bit on mine.

Hi @CyberJoe

You say it has too much throat hit

So what strength is the juice? Maybe dilute it with some VG to bring down the nic strength.

Your coil looks fine but at 2.5 ohms I would try a lower wattage than 15W. Try say 7-10W and see if it's a bit better.

Last question - what did you vape this juice on before? That also might help the folk advise you further.

@CyberJoe you're pushing way too much power through to that coil, 15W is pushing about 5.5 to 6v. Like @Silver said, try a lower wattage first but I would suggest going to a 2.5mm inner diameter and do about 8 or 9 wraps. That should put you in the 1.5 to 1.8 ohm range and should comfortably handle 10 to 15W.

I am a creature of habit, I only use one juice.

It used to be Liqua Traditional only, then I started mixing Menthol in, and then I found Cherry Blast from Blckvape, so currently using that. I cannot stand flavours. (It's like asking for raspberry flavoured Marlboro lights :))

Try all the above first. If that doesn't work, then might have to look at the menthol you are using.

Too much power for a 2 ohm coil bud.
Agree 100% 15w would give a great MTL vape for me but with 1.2ohm resistance. I wouldn't personally use resistance at 2ohm but if i did i would be at about 8W max.

@CyberJoe you're pushing way too much power through to that coil, 15W is pushing about 5.5 to 6v. Like @Silver said, try a lower wattage first but I would suggest going to a 2.5mm inner diameter and do about 8 or 9 wraps. That should put you in the 1.5 to 1.8 ohm range and should comfortably handle 10 to 15W.
also try 7/8 wraps spaced. i find spaced wraps on mtl works better for me.

Yip did a couple of slow increased in time dry burns.
@CyberJoe, from your description above it seems your coils may be hot-potting.
Heat them to glow and check to see that the whole coil glows evenly. If not, strum the coil with a metal object (while not firing) and dry burn again to check. Repeat until the coil heats evenly from the centre and glows evenly all over. The first and last windings may glow a bit less, but that is normal.

Good luck

o ok
half the coil and see what happens

Tried that, no real difference.

3mm Id for a MTL vape is too much. I say go for a 1 mm or a 1.5 mm Id.

Will give that a go, but I guess it must be a bugger then to get the cotton through?

If I recall right, I had that issue with Ni80 wire. Turns out I have a nickel sensitivity. Now I can't use anything with nickel in it.

Perhaps switch to SS316 and see if that helps.

Only wire I have, will try and source some on Monday.

From the coil colour I would hazard a guess that he did not.

On my Nichrome coils I burn it quite a bit before coiling. The colour changes quite a bit on mine.

Photo taken before the dry burn.

Hi @CyberJoe

You say it has too much throat hit

So what strength is the juice? Maybe dilute it with some VG to bring down the nic strength.

Your coil looks fine but at 2.5 ohms I would try a lower wattage than 15W. Try say 7-10W and see if it's a bit better.

Last question - what did you vape this juice on before? That also might help the folk advise you further.

No not too much throat hit (is there such a thing?) Burning throat hit. Unpleasant.

Dropping the wattage does seem to work, but it also reduces the pleasure/hit, dunno how to describe it. What I cannot understand, I have been doing this, and exactly this, 9-10 rolls, same wire, same ID for about 2-3 months, running at 15-20watt, and never had this problem.

what cotton are you using ?

Cotton Bacon

@BumbleBee that makes sense imho.

I'm pushing 40w on 0.16 ohms and reading of 2.53v, pure SS coils though

Is there a voltage sweet spot?

Too much power for a 2 ohm coil bud.

I am starting to realise that as well. Time to play around with many different configs I think.

Agree 100% 15w would give a great MTL vape for me but with 1.2ohm resistance. I wouldn't personally use resistance at 2ohm but if i did i would be at about 8W max.

For MTL, what is your goto coil?

also try 7/8 wraps spaced. i find spaced wraps on mtl works better for me.

Shot, will roll one of these too and try it.

@CyberJoe, from your description above it seems your coils may be hot-potting.
Heat them to glow and check to see that the whole coil glows evenly. If not, strum the coil with a metal object (while not firing) and dry burn again to check. Repeat until the coil heats evenly from the centre and glows evenly all over. The first and last windings may glow a bit less, but that is normal.

Good luck

I did that earlier, noticed an uneven burn, gave it a strum, and whack, all even.

@CyberJoe did you come right bud?

Yes, no maybe, definitely not. Not really, but the above gave me loads to work with, instead of stabbing in the dark.

Thank you all, will post feedback in a day or two.

Check that your coils are properly tightened after dryburn or losen and retighten. It might just help

before trying any of the above. strip the tanks down completely and give it a good clean. could be some residual stuff stuck in it or built up over time.

Back