Butts on the ground

Stranger

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
Just took a run up to the shops with my missus. .As is my habit, I sit in the car and wait for her to do the shopping (before you ask, she prefers this)

Sat there listening to some golden oldies on LM radio and watching the general populace go about their business. If there ever was a plan to curb smoking, it has failed dismally and I felt quite ashamed of myself as I recognised the behavior of smokers in general. I saw some smoking in the car only to get out and throw the butt on the ground. Others would get out of the car, drag the hell out of a smoke and then... throw the butt on the ground. Car guards would share a smoke (putting saliva on the paper ) and then .... the butt went on the ground. Pretty much universal as to how that butt went on the ground. I used to do it, hence why I felt the shame. So glad I am not smoking any more, so glad I will never again see my butts on the ground.

Just took a run up to the shops with my missus. .As is my habit, I sit in the car and wait for her to do the shopping (before you ask, she prefers this)

Sat there listening to some golden oldies on LM radio and watching the general populace go about their business. If there ever was a plan to curb smoking, it has failed dismally and I felt quite ashamed of myself as I recognised the behavior of smokers in general. I saw some smoking in the car only to get out and throw the butt on the ground. Others would get out of the car, drag the hell out of a smoke and then... throw the butt on the ground. Car guards would share a smoke (putting saliva on the paper ) and then .... the butt went on the ground. Pretty much universal as to how that butt went on the ground. I used to do it, hence why I felt the shame. So glad I am not smoking any more, so glad I will never again see my butts on the ground.
With the massive increase in disposable vapes, we going to start seeing them laying around everywhere. I'm also glad I don't smokes, was just cleaning my braai and I was thinking how full of butts it used to be!

I was always fanatical about putting my dog ends in a bin, but this country is decidedly short of bins!

I always get disgusted when visiting somebody and the filthy ashtray thats overflowing with ash and butts sits in the middle of the table. Serves as a reminder why I stopped years ago.

Saw "run up to the shops" but it immediately got disappointing with "I sit in the car"!:risas3:

I smoked plains and with one wipe of the foot it was part of the environment, I hate butts like crazy. Especially when my own gardener or neighbour puts them in my garden. LOL. My one neighbour had their Mom who was dying of cancer come to stay with them and there was apparently a ban on her smoking so to get rid of the evidence, You Guessed Right, she tossed them into my garden.

We use to have an issue with cigarettes butts on the ground but to be honest for a few years i just don't recall seeing any which is no surprise due to the big uptake in vaping and falling smoking numbers and the rise in the homeless who are ready to catch any butts before they hit the deck!

It amazes me in countries were owning firearms whether illegally or legally is so much easier get so outraged in at the amount of gun crime, what do people expect will happen if people have guns!

It amazes me in countries were owning firearms whether illegally or legally is so much easier get so outraged in at the amount of gun crime, what do people expect will happen if people have guns!

But criminals in SA are armed to the teeth. Unless they are disarmed, any move to get licensed firearms away from legal owners can only make the situation far worse. Once a country has reached this level of violence the conversation becomes far more complex.

Same as when people have knives
Agree but if that is a reference to the UK has a lot of knife crime just look up official stats on murder rates, although all violent crime is bad and we make an issue ourselves about violent crime being a growing problem you can't compare the UK to South Africa! We stand at number 133 with 1.2 murders per 100,000 people while South Africa is one of the most dangerous places to live in the world in fact stands at number 8 with 35.9 murders per 100,000 people!

But criminals in SA are armed to the teeth. Unless they are disarmed, any move to get licensed firearms away from legal owners can only make the situation far worse. Once a country has reached this level of violence the conversation becomes far more complex.
But it has only got that bad and that complex because of the attitude of the right to defend rather than tackling the problem, so much burying the head in the sand! Stats are facts and the right to have an arm to defend has been proven to just increase the problem! Not saying it's easy but unless you make a start on tackling it how do you expect any result other than it getting even worse!

But it has only got that bad and that complex because of the attitude of the right to defend rather than tackling the problem, so much burying the head in the sand! Stats are facts and the right to have an arm to defend has been proven to just increase the problem! Not saying it's easy but unless you make a start on tackling it how do you expect any result other than it getting even worse!

With all due respect, your statement is ignorant and speaks to someone who follows the main stream media and reporting like a sheep. Crimes commited with licenced firearms are in the minority and when they occur generally relate to domestic or similar disputes. Whether it be a firearm, a knife, a hammer or a fist, if its going to happen its going to happen. There is no correlation whatsoever between responsible legal firearm ownership and violent crime on others.

As to the right to defend, walk a day in the shoes of a South African farmer/father and you will change your opinion very quickly. My firearms are not owned primarily to defend, but that they double up for that purpose is a welcoming thought.

I respect your reviews and opinions with regards to vape gear tremendously, but as for gun ownership, please don't poke the bear. Especially not with a goverment trying to disarm law abiding citizens. Personally I would go as far as to say the war on legal gun ownership can be equated to the war on vaping.

P.s. stats are not facts. Easily manipulated and taken out of context

At Tim... pls sir do not talk about something you know nothing about... if i can ask you kindly to debate this on a applicable forum ( sure you will find several on your google machine ). To give some context to the sensitivity... i live in KZN and have been fighting for the safety of families and follow community members over the past 4 days. And i can assure you that " word and debate " would not have saved the day nor your life. Again its hot off the press, you welcome to google it. Apologies if im a bit cranky but its been 4 days without sleep..

Ps. @DarthBranMuffin ... hey bud... know you live in Toti as well, shout if you need anything. Food and or water... same to all other Toti forum members. I can only try and help in Toti as im bases here.
Pls remove post if found out of line or not allowed. Thanks

Ps. @DarthBranMuffin ... hey bud... know you live in Toti as well, shout if you need anything. Food and or water... same to all other Toti forum members. I can only try and help in Toti as im bases here.
Pls remove post if found out of line or not allowed. Thanks

Thanks @Gringo, same to you!!!

@Timwis

For us, it is a choice, you have never had that choice and I can understand that not knowing the process, the competency and accountability around firearms is quite alien to you. However putting things in context, I am a 60's child and saw the troubles, the mine strikes and unrest in the UK. I made the choice and live here, alongside all the other choices I have. One of those is whether to be armed or not. As has been said, I am not going to debate this, there are other forums for that.

One thing is certain, we as Saffers (Yes I consider myself a Saffer) may ***** and argue between ourselves, but when the crap hits the fan, we stand together. This looting was criminal and we have the RIGHT to defend ourselves.

Back