Calling all menthol connoisseurs

Well I vape mostly menthol,I've tried lots of other flavours/tastes but I just don't come right with the majority of them,in fact I've just sold lots of them in the classifieds.I can't give you reviews but heres a selection of what I've tried,what I find good,bad or indifferent and maybe some other useful info.
Hangsen: Dont' like.
Dekang;Ditto above.
Liqua;Ditto above
Heathers Heavenly Vapes (from USA) ; Menthol Ice,very nice not too overpowering,decent price,postage reasonable but SAPO will be involved.
Halo Ecigs (from USA) ; Sub Zero,powerful,strong menthol,I like it but the price is high and the shipping charges are way too expensive.
Vapor Juice (from the UK); DV Menthol,strong menthol,bit rough,not especially cheap,its OK.
Vapor Juice again;Mentolly Insane ; Strongest menthol taste I've tried,probable too strong for most (Rob Fisher hates it,says it has a cow shit after taste/smell),I like it but I find it best mixed with some Vapour Mountain Clear Cut.
Alchemists Cupboard (from the UK) ; Mentally Menthol,a bright green eliquid,pretty strong,pretty good,but theres a hint of candyfloss in there somewhere,pretty expensive.
Joose Juice (from the UK);Menthol,not bad at all,good menthol taste,not too overpowering,coupon codes make it a decent price.
SOV;Steamhammer Krptonite,its OK,maybe worth a go at the R150.00 stock clearance price but not worth the full price in my opinion,some backgound taste I can't figure out,not enough oomph.
Digbys (from the UK); Moriyas Mix,very nice,but again its pricey.
Vapour Mountain ; Menthol Ice,I would echo what others have said,its good,its menthol its a good price,its local.Bung some drops of menthol concentrate in there as well and you are sorted.For me balancing price/availability/taste etc this one is probably the best allrounder.

Thats a winning Menthol rundown @Genosmate
Most informative
Thank you

PS- you are hardcore if you add menthol concentrate to VM Menthol Ice!

Thats a winning Menthol rundown @Genosmate
Most informative
Thank you

PS- you are hardcore if you add menthol concentrate to VM Menthol Ice!
Yep,I like it as strong as possible,if the Vapour Juice Mentholy Insane was easier to get here thats what I'd probably go for but as I said its better toned down with some clear cut from VM.First saw it reviewed by Todd who raved about the stuff.Its potent.

I am really surprised that 2 hard core menthol vapers namely @Gazzacpt and @Zegee have not obliged here. They have been trying to convert me since the beginning of time :p

Well I vape mostly menthol,I've tried lots of other flavours/tastes but I just don't come right with the majority of them,in fact I've just sold lots of them in the classifieds.I can't give you reviews but heres a selection of what I've tried,what I find good,bad or indifferent and maybe some other useful info.
Hangsen: Dont' like.
Dekang;Ditto above.
Liqua;Ditto above
Heathers Heavenly Vapes (from USA) ; Menthol Ice,very nice not too overpowering,decent price,postage reasonable but SAPO will be involved.
Halo Ecigs (from USA) ; Sub Zero,powerful,strong menthol,I like it but the price is high and the shipping charges are way too expensive.
Vapor Juice (from the UK); DV Menthol,strong menthol,bit rough,not especially cheap,its OK.
Vapor Juice again;Mentolly Insane ; Strongest menthol taste I've tried,probable too strong for most (Rob Fisher hates it,says it has a cow shit after taste/smell),I like it but I find it best mixed with some Vapour Mountain Clear Cut.
Alchemists Cupboard (from the UK) ; Mentally Menthol,a bright green eliquid,pretty strong,pretty good,but theres a hint of candyfloss in there somewhere,pretty expensive.
Joose Juice (from the UK);Menthol,not bad at all,good menthol taste,not too overpowering,coupon codes make it a decent price.
SOV;Steamhammer Krptonite,its OK,maybe worth a go at the R150.00 stock clearance price but not worth the full price in my opinion,some backgound taste I can't figure out,not enough oomph.
Digbys (from the UK); Moriyas Mix,very nice,but again its pricey.
Vapour Mountain ; Menthol Ice,I would echo what others have said,its good,its menthol its a good price,its local.Bung some drops of menthol concentrate in there as well and you are sorted.For me balancing price/availability/taste etc this one is probably the best allrounder.

Genosmate thank you! My kind of 'list' that I love. I will try get a few sample as I work with a bunch of US / UK guys (no ladies sadly :() or I shall just order online and put my faith in SAPO.

@Jase Why not try mixing your own? You can then tailor it to suit your taste.

I make my own juice and use a bit of Menthol in just about everything, my wife and a mate only vape Menthol; her with a bit of VM Vanilla, him with a bit of fruit. I make concentrate from pure Menthol crystals dissolved in PG, and have adjusted the strength to suit everyone's preference.

If you like the 'cold' feeling some Menthols produce, add a bit of Koolada. This compound produces a 'cold' feeling when applied topically, which the vapour does to the back of your throat. Just use it extremely sparingly as it is very strong and easy to overdo.

@Jase Why not try mixing your own? You can then tailor it to suit your taste.

I make my own juice and use a bit of Menthol in just about everything, my wife and a mate only vape Menthol; her with a bit of VM Vanilla, him with a bit of fruit. I make concentrate from pure Menthol crystals dissolved in PG, and have adjusted the strength to suit everyone's preference.

If you like the 'cold' feeling some Menthols produce, add a bit of Koolada. This compound produces a 'cold' feeling when applied topically, which the vapour does to the back of your throat. Just use it extremely sparingly as it is very strong and easy to overdo.
How much crystals in what volume of PG, please? Shake and leave? For how long? And at what percentage would you add it to make a Menthol juice?

@Andre - difficult question. I found a recommendation on-line stating 67% crystals to 33% PG by mass, which isn't easy to measure. As you're making concentrate, if you make it a little strong you simply use less when making the juice, and vice versa.

I have a small glass bottle that I have marked at 8ml - I fill it to this line with crushed crystals, then add 5ml PG. I stand the bottle in a cup of hot water for a couple of minutes to dissolve the crystals, which happens rather quickly. This produces around 10ml of concentrate which conveniently fits into one of VM's glass dropper bottles :p.

I use this concentrate at 10% currently, but you can obviously adjust this to your preference. I did try adding Koolada to a batch, but 1 drop of concentrate per 10ml of juice (as recommended) was way too strong! I think that you should make Koolada juice, and then add 1 drop of this to the Menthol juice, rather than the way I did it :oops:

@Andre - difficult question. I found a recommendation on-line stating 67% crystals to 33% PG by mass, which isn't easy to measure. As you're making concentrate, if you make it a little strong you simply use less when making the juice, and vice versa.

I have a small glass bottle that I have marked at 8ml - I fill it to this line with crushed crystals, then add 5ml PG. I stand the bottle in a cup of hot water for a couple of minutes to dissolve the crystals, which happens rather quickly. This produces around 10ml of concentrate which conveniently fits into one of VM's glass dropper bottles :p.

I use this concentrate at 10% currently, but you can obviously adjust this to your preference. I did try adding Koolada to a batch, but 1 drop of concentrate per 10ml of juice (as recommended) was way too strong! I think that you should make Koolada juice, and then add 1 drop of this to the Menthol juice, rather than the way I did it :oops:
Thanks, much appreciated. Now I can do something with those crystals.

Andre's Crystal Ice Kanonkop coming up!

Maths and I are not good mates, but seems to me the mass of the crystals must just be double the mass of the PG?

After reading a few forums it looks like most people mix 10% menthol by volume to 90% PG. In other words fill your bottle to roughly 10% crystals, fill up with PG, then warm bottle in a pot of hot/boiling water.

It's exactly the same way I do my ethyl maltol crystals and PG mix.

Maths and I are not good mates, but seems to me the mass of the crystals must just be double the mass of the PG?

Actually, a bit lighter (0.890 vs. 1.036 g/cm?) - it floats in PG.

After reading a few forums it looks like most people mix 10% menthol by volume to 90% PG. ...

Are you making juice with this ratio, or concentrate? If juice, my equivalent is around 6% (the rough percentage of Menthol in the final juice blend). If concentrate, and then that used at 10%, the final ratio will be around 1%, which will be very weak.

Are you making juice with this ratio, or concentrate? If juice, my equivalent is around 6% (the rough percentage of Menthol in the final juice blend). If concentrate, and then that used at 10%, the final ratio will be around 1%, which will be very weak.
This is only to make the ethyl maltol concentrate in my case. I then use it at 1% in all my DIY juice.

This is only to make the ethyl maltol concentrate in my case. I then use it at 1% in all my DIY juice.
Aah, OK. Ethyl maltol is another of those 'flavours' that have to be used sparingly - I have also used it like this. I don't know if you've used Spearmint at all, but this too is much stronger than what could be considered 'normal' - a 10% mixture made my eyes water ( later read that it is recommended at around 2 - 3%)

Hehe I cant go near menthol or mint in a vape. Love chock mint ice cream etc. Been vaping over 4 years. @Zegee caught me out with menthol once. @Gazzacpt has also tried pulling a fast one :ROFL:

Lol, no I mean for the mixture, e.g. use 100gram of crystals to 50gram of PG to make the concentrate, which would equate to 33% PG and 67% crystals if my maths is correct.

Not sure what I missed exactly last mix I made using 100ml bottle put half crystal and balance pg shook vigorously and it was good to go

Lol, no I mean for the mixture, e.g. use 100gram of crystals to 50gram of PG to make the concentrate, which would equate to 33% PG and 67% crystals if my maths is correct.

:D Yes, sorry! That's correct. I did try to measure very accurately at first, but then realised that I wasn't dealing with explosive compounds, so no need to be too concerned.

The amount I use suits a ratio of 10% for the concentrate, which matches the flavour requirements of other juices that I make. I have found that if I get too complicated with the different flavour ratios it's easier to make a mistake when making a number at once (and get Menthol with no taste, or Blueberry that melts your teeth!)

Not sure what I missed exactly last mix I made using 100ml bottle put half crystal and balance pg shook vigorously and it was good to go

This to make 'concentrate' obviously? I only add a bit of Menthol (~10-15%) to my flavours, so I'm not too fussed if it's a bit weak or too strong, I just adjust the amount I add.

My wife and mate on the other hand use 85% to 90% Menthol with an added flavour, and are much fussier about the strength. If I produce a different strength flavour to the usual I immediately get asked why it might be different :rolleyes:

Back