Can I use organic cotton balls to wick coils?

@JoeBlowsClouds Rayon isn't great in the sub ohm tanks and Bacon Cotton is a better bet because it can withstand more heat and punishment than Rayon does... however I only use Rayon in my REO's because with fruity and menthol vapes it just excels...

I will probably get a second Serpent Mini 25 on Saturday and will play with the dual coil deck and also play with rayon in the single coil deck.

Remind me when I head to JHB again and I'll bring you some... if you are anxious to try it sooner I will courier you some... if you are in JHB main the courier will cost R60. The Rayon will be free. ;-)

No rush to try it at all just picked up a couple of cotton bacons from vaperite.
Unfortunately need a cheaper option being a student lol

Has anyone tried Hemp? I have read on numerous occasions (mostly Reddit posts) that its amazing, especially for tobaccos and custards.

Has anyone tried Hemp? I have read on numerous occasions (mostly Reddit posts) that its amazing, especially for tobaccos and custards.
Nope, where are you going to source that, short of unravelling a shirt/rope or growing your own?
Bearing in mind most places have the waxed thread which is no good.
Im up for some experimental's having tried kevlar. :)

Nope, where are you going to source that, short of unravelling a shirt/rope or growing your own?
Bearing in mind most places have the waxed thread which is no good.
Im up for some experimental's having tried kevlar. :)

I have no idea, hence asking... we have a couple of international forumites here who have maybe tried it and if its any good, someone will try to capitalise on it lol.

I have as well only seen the wax laced hemp. You ever see these Rastas that sit on the corners in the CBD? Im going to go ask those buggers, for unwaxed/unbleached/untreated of course

After all my research on the web and the response on this forum, I have resolved that I will keep these cotton balls if I run out of the good old "Bacon" and the Japanese cotton that I have. Especially if it's a bit of a tough month. The cons seem to outweigh the pro's. I mean, it just seems too good to be true that one can use cotton balls @ R30 for about five years supply. Life doesn't work like that. Otherwise everyone would be buying cotton balls and not the "Real McCoy".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is "the real mcoy"? Is it the kanthal sold by geekvape missing the trademark device on the packaging or the kanthal with the trademark device that I can buy several km of for way cheaper?

Ja Feliks but the Geekvape wire doesn't cause sparks if coils are in series. That's what the oke at the Twisp stand told me. And I know I can trust him. If it wasn't for him, I'd have popcorn lung by now.

Only issue I found with the organic dischem jobs is that initial cotton taste takes longer to go away

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@Buan My guess is I will "test" burn the wick a good few times after wicking and juicing before I put the atty cap back on. That's if and when I use these. This should theoretically break in the cotton faster.

Must be a personal taste thing. I don't get any funny taste off of these, and Im using a ton of it in my qaud setup. Bacon cotton says it gets rid of pesticides so its not even "organic", then hides behind the word "proprietary" in order not to tell you what they use in sterilisation.

PicsArt_09-11-10.12.05.jpg

Never tried the cotton balls.

But I'm using the fibre cotton from dischem.

No issues also amazing Flav.
I haven't even cooked the cotton.
Pulled straight from the packet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

f926ff6542a8829e34c73893fe454ef4.jpg

So like everyone else I first bought
Cotton bacon.
Then started to get less n less.
So found a alternative.
Dischem and or Springbok pharmacy cotton

Thanks Mark. No worries about bleach, non-organic etc??

What no not a single issue

Bleach chemical to your lungs hec no.
Non organic nope

I finally tried the "Dischem Softi Organic cotton balls" in the beige pack today on the Pharaoh RDA.

After a lot of research and posts on this thread some folks complain of a bad taste in the beginning which eventually improves as you vape on. I did a little experiment today which solves this problem.

In theory, it will make sense to burn off the cotton as much as possible after wicking and saturating the cotton with juice. This should burn off any foreign taste or any "Hydrogen peroxide". Obviously no one wants to waste juice while burning off the cotton. So I placed a few drops of pure VG on the freshly threaded cotton which was wicked and tucked in. Because the VG is so thick I then placed 2 drops of distilled water on top of the cotton to ensure the cotton fully absorbed all the VG. I fired the mod at 30W, then repeated the process 3 times only using VG. Now the organic cotton is "burned in. Then I juiced up the cotton and juice well with a juice I am very familiar with: "Mr Foggs Famous sauce -- At First Flight", so that I could easily detect any reported: "Weird taste". The result: No weird taste. Perfect taste and perfect clouds.

Wow, I am super impressed! Now I can spend more money on wire!

I finally tried the "Dischem Softi Organic cotton balls" in the beige pack today on the Pharaoh RDA.

After a lot of research and posts on this thread some folks complain of a bad taste in the beginning which eventually improves as you vape on. I did a little experiment today which solves this problem.

In theory, it will make sense to burn off the cotton as much as possible after wicking and saturating the cotton with juice. This should burn off any foreign taste or any "Hydrogen peroxide". Obviously no one wants to waste juice while burning off the cotton. So I placed a few drops of pure VG on the freshly threaded cotton which was wicked and tucked in. Because the VG is so thick I then placed 2 drops of distilled water on top of the cotton to ensure the cotton fully absorbed all the VG. I fired the mod at 30W, then repeated the process 3 times only using VG. Now the organic cotton is "burned in. Then I juiced up the cotton and juice well with a juice I am very familiar with: "Mr Foggs Famous sauce -- At First Flight", so that I could easily detect any reported: "Weird taste". The result: No weird taste. Perfect taste and perfect clouds.

Wow, I am super impressed! Now I can spend more money on wire!
thx @Waine ..didnt think abt the burn in

Been using the Dischem organic cotton in the round pad form. I separate the pad into two pieces and fluff each one out. Then I do a bit of a "Scottish roll" method, using each piece for one wick. I also fluff the "bow ties" out with sharp tweezers before inserting the wick into the juice well. I am so content with this cotton. No weird tastes.

I tried the Simply Gentle cotton pleat from the Wellness shop at Plattekloof center, R49.95
It had a scented odour and a strong peroxide taste when vaping.
I decided to give it a 3hr hot soak in distilled water to leech the unpleasantness out, while much reduced it was still apparent.
The other trick is finding the direction of fibre strength because its a cotton mat it requires a bit of testing, I thought it would be in the length, but those examples pulled apart rather easily, best effort was cutting strips across the width.

For all the fiddle involved, I'd rather use cheaper Jap cotton than Kendo or Cotton Bacon if pricing was an issue.

ps Lung Candy has a new blend of rayon and cotton priced reasonbly at R75 called Cotton Candy
alas for Capetonians, works out cheaper buying Kendo once you factor in shipping from up north.

cotton.jpg

Lol, in the beginning everyone used those cotton balls - nothing else was available. Then someone saw a gap in the market and being the gullible beings that we are....

ExFAARKENxactly - Point made! There is no need for seriously overpriced cotton, I cringe at the thought of paying R50 for JC - nevermind the more exotic brands out there. I'm way to BASIC for that. :SimpHomer:

Comments are TL;DR, but I have tried normal dischem cotton and some organic dischem cotton and both were meh. I disliked it. The taste was bad and working with the cotton wasn't as easy.

I love Cotton Bacon v2, although it is pricey. I am happy to spend the money on it as it lasts quite a while.
Why not try organic cotton pads which are specifically meant for vaping? Those are quite a bit cheaper.

Back