Ceramic vs Rebuildable test

spiv

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hey everyone,

So I've been interested in this ceramic move that lots of manufacturers have been catering for and wanted to weigh in for early opinions.

Rebuildable:
Coil: 14 wrap 26ga 316L SS spaced dual coil ending up at 0.5ohm (4th tank of juice used for review)
Tank: OBS Crius Plus
Wattage: 55w
Mod: Joyetech Cuboid
Cotton: Cotton Bacon v2

Ceramic:
Coil: MG 0.5 ohm Ceramic coil (came with unit and left overnight with juice with a few dry pulls to get it saturated, then reviewed on the second tank)
Tank: Joyetech Ultimo
Wattage: 50w
Mod: Hotcig 150
Cotton: Stock coil flavour

Juice used for both: Hazeworks Scream 1.5mg

Extra review points:
Ceramics has been something I see pop up all the time and loved that people say that it lasts forever and has great crisp flavour. All reviewers also say that SS 316L has great crisp flavour. After a lot of research, I read/watched that the Joyetech Ultimo had amazing flavour.
I had the Crius Plus with dual SS 316L wire in it and decided to give it a comparison. The wire is not claptons or anything, just plain old 26ga SS 316L wire.

I found that Temp Control mutes flavour so I did the comparison on power mode.

Verdict:
The ceramic coils are amazing. For store bought coils they give so much flavour that I was shocked. I'd say they rival my Crius V3 but I haven't tested those yet. It definitely has more airflow than my Crius Plus, and closing the Ultimo's airflow doesn't improve the flavour a lot. If this coil can manage 2 weeks of my vaping, I'll be very very impressed. Flavour is awesome and vapour production is great, but not dense. I don't have any experience with Ceramic coils but based on Rob Fisher's (I'm on my phone and done know how to link) comments, he likes it. Also all the YouTube reviews I've watched rave about these coils. So I figure they're the best to review against.

It may just be the tank, but I prefer the Crius Plus. The flavour is better and the vapour is denser. I know the wattage is higher and I do have a dual coil build vs a single coil on the Ultimo so I kind of expected it. The Crius Plus is something special though... Flavour is amazing on this tank. It's my absolute favourite. Forgiving on the the wicking, amazing flavour and lots of space to build.

Conclusion:
Apart from the Ultimo, the only other pre-built coil tank I had that had is a Joyetech Cubis which actually works amazingly. On power mode, the Cubis, has no spit back or anything and pretty good flavour at 35w on a 0.5ohm coil. But this Ultimo is amazing. It's got so much flavour, and works way better than the Cubis.

But in the end, the Crius Plus wins it. Denser vapour and better flavour. Airflow is perfect, eve n though it isn't as much as the Ultimo. My winner.

This may not have been a fair fight. I should have used my Crius V3. The Crius has amazing flavour. I even used my "better" mod (the Hotcig) with the "worse" Ultimo and I still preferred the Crius.

But if I had to choose a tank with coils I coils buy in store, I'd go Ultimo. They are fantastic.
If I build my own coils and wick them, I'd go Crius Plus.

This isn't a fair comparison. An amazing RBA vs the Ultimo. But I think the Ultimo really gave the Crius some competition. I'm guessing this is like what it would be like to have multiple Ferrari's, they're all amazing to drive, but that La Ferrari is just better in every way. The Ultimo will definitely be in my daily rotation, but that Crius Plus will be my favourite.

Hope this helps.

Ceramic is a great stock coil, but RBA is my preferred choice.

*on a side note, I'd love to compare it to the Crown which I don't own. Hoping on getting the Crown 2 eventually. The Crown has amazing reviews for flavour.

Last edited:
I do think I need to redo this test with a single coil build on the Crius Plus to be more accurate. I'll redo that soon when I get the chance.

Thanks a lot. I was wondering what the comparison would be like.

Thanks @spiv for documenting your findings
Sounds like the Ultimo is great with the ceramic coils

Back