choosing a heater

You are right and I strongly believe that when a child falls sick it makes them stronger.
My son was hospitalized twice for flu when we moved to cape town and because of all this Covid-19 issues, I can't risk hospital or even a pediatrician..

Also, I only know about the medical tax credits. what other tax benefit/deductions should I look forward to ?
More children the less your taxed. And the same goes for returns etc.

Hi @Faiyaz Cheulkar

We use an oil fin heater for the little guys room and it works super well

Only problem is I actually bought two more of them - I had an older one from about 15 years ago so I thought the newer ones would work better or be more economical

To my surprise, BOTH I bought were pretty useless. On full blast and two hours later the room is hardly warmer. Put back in the old heater and within an hour the room is toasty so you have to turn it down.

I actually returned those heaters and got another “old” one from my mom she wasn’t using. So we have one for us and one for baby.

I don’t know what is going on but it seems they don’t make them like they used to.

My old ones are a DeLonghi and a Salton. But they are about 15 yrs old
The new ones that didn’t work were a DeLonghi (black one) and also a Goldair (from Builders). Both were useless, I was actually so surprised.

What I noticed is that the newer ones have “thinner” fins than the older ones. My old heaters are chunkier and heavier. Maybe the newer ones are lower quality but it’s strange I would have thought not.

If you discover a good oil fin heater please let us know because I would like to revisit this issue.

Last edited:
Maybe I am filing my returns wrong. Haven't got any deductions till now for my son. What do I Google for ?

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

images

Maybe I am filing my returns wrong. Haven't got any deductions till now for my son. What do I Google for ?

These tax savings are mostly indirect also called deferred tax savings. They are as follows:
For the next 25 to 30 years..
1. you will have no savings so you do not have to worry about being taxed on interest earned,
2. you will not be buying any luxury items (for yourself at least) so no "special" Value Added Taxes on these for you,
3. your sin taxes will be pretty low as you will not be sinning a lot,
4. some taxes will be returned to you on medical expenses.

And that is all I have to say about that...

Regards

So we dint want a heater that heats a room to a specific temperature because that's how u get used to a heater. But needed something for the time when we are changing nappies. So bought this giant vape coil for a heater. It came with a tripod so we can focus it on the babies while they are changed .
I dont know why it's called an infrared heater when it's just a coil in a vaccum tube.
2776c5d9eafd30a68032a2f2083b12b9.jpg

So we dint want a heater that heats a room to a specific temperature because that's how u get used to a heater. But needed something for the time when we are changing nappies. So bought this giant vape coil for a heater. It came with a tripod so we can focus it on the babies while they are changed .
I dont know why it's called an infrared heater when it's just a coil in a vaccum tube.
2776c5d9eafd30a68032a2f2083b12b9.jpg

You can cook on that thing.

IMG-20200603-WA0037.jpg
Looking to buy this,can get it for around R1500,I see Takealot is about R2200,any adviceIMG-20200603-WA0037.jpg IMG-20200603-WA0037.jpg Screenshot_20200604_084937_fi.android.takealot.jpg

To be honest, we have found the most convenient way to heat is the gas heaters. We have some fairly big rooms that tend to be opened up to the outdoors in summer and closed in winter. When closed the three bar gas fire work really well and quickly. Once warmed up a bit we turn them down.

This kind of thing

https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/All-Game-Categories/Appliances/Heating-Cooling-&-Air-Care/Heaters/GAS-HEATER-SGH-42B-BLACK/p/00666829

Kids rooms we found the panel heaters to work well, safe and economical.

View attachment 197661
Looking to buy this,can get it for around R1500,I see Takealot is about R2200,any adviceView attachment 197661 View attachment 197661 View attachment 197662

Got a mate who has an air conditioning business,I told him I was planning to buy something similar to this (a dehumidifier/cooler) - his reply was " Then you can bring it to me in a few months to try and fix it,come and look at my workshop,its full of them and they are not cost efficient to repair" Just as @SmokeyJoe said its the pump that packs up.My understanding is its the cooling function that screws up!

In my experience, all of these products are a hit and miss. I bought more than 10 in the last 10 years. Some lasted for a week or 2, and after replacement the same model would last me for a few years. But in general, oil heaters are the most cost effective and the sturdiest.

In my experience, all of these products are a hit and miss. I bought more than 10 in the last 10 years. Some lasted for a week or 2, and after replacement the same model would last me for a few years. But in general, oil heaters are the most cost effective and the sturdiest.
Fully agree

Got a mate who has an air conditioning business,I told him I was planning to buy something similar to this (a dehumidifier/cooler) - his reply was " Then you can bring it to me in a few months to try and fix it,come and look at my workshop,its full of them and they are not cost efficient to repair" Just as @SmokeyJoe said its the pump that packs up.My understanding is its the cooling function that screws up!
I had one of those coolers in India. I just got a new pump and installed it myself. Its was a normal aquarium pump I used as a replacement, that's what they called it when I went hunting from shops to shops.
The cooler was around R1000 the pump cost me like R200 (I paid in Indian currency, I quoted the rand equivalent).

Im facing the same predicament and atill haven't bought anything, I wish took this thread more serious before this moerse cold front came and shattered my feet. I currently have a gas heater and gas fire place(just a waste of time). Thinking of replacing the gas foreplace with and anthracite one.

Now for our room I'm currently using the gas heater, i put it on for about 1.5 hours, the room heats up but then after about an hour again the room is cold, i guess all heaters will be the same, my concern is also for my little one, still in his cot, he is 8 months young but there's mixed feelings about gas and babies, in terms of safety, we are always in the room when the heater is on but i cant help but think the little dude might be inhaling the stuff and it worries me.

I know a oil fin heater running at 4 hours a day (which is how long i run my gas heater for more or less) will be an additional R1500 a month or so on electricity. Is it worth getting the oil fin or should i get one of these eco friendly energy saving goodies? Does anyone have one and does it really work and save?

Im facing the same predicament and atill haven't bought anything, I wish took this thread more serious before this moerse cold front came and shattered my feet. I currently have a gas heater and gas fire place(just a waste of time). Thinking of replacing the gas foreplace with and anthracite one.

Now for our room I'm currently using the gas heater, i put it on for about 1.5 hours, the room heats up but then after about an hour again the room is cold, i guess all heaters will be the same, my concern is also for my little one, still in his cot, he is 8 months young but there's mixed feelings about gas and babies, in terms of safety, we are always in the room when the heater is on but i cant help but think the little dude might be inhaling the stuff and it worries me.

I know a oil fin heater running at 4 hours a day (which is how long i run my gas heater for more or less) will be an additional R1500 a month or so on electricity. Is it worth getting the oil fin or should i get one of these eco friendly energy saving goodies? Does anyone have one and does it really work and save?
These panels are a waste of money from my experience. The only thing that really works in Bloem is oil heaters and for a quick heating solution for the bathroom I use a fan heater.
Edit: but that probably applies only to Bloem

Hi @Jengz
I strongly recommend an oil fin for the baby’s room
Definitely not a gas heater in an enclosed room.

Also check for air leakage on the windows and doors

We use an older oil fin for the baby’s room and it works superbly. We put it on about 4 out of 7, so about 60% of max and put it on an hour before bed and the room temp is up to about 23 and stays there.

Did I say not to use gas in a room? Just don’t. It’s not safe and there are fumes that are inhaled. Definitely not baby safe imo.

The bottom line is that if you need a certain amount of energy (measured as Joule) to heat a room, there is no way of using less energy to achieve that level but to use the Watt's (Joule seconds) required. So no matter what electrical heater you use, the electrical units (Watt ours) will need to be paid for.
Certain heaters may be perceived to be more efficient than others but the fact remains to heat a room a certain amount they will all have to add the same amount of Joules of energy to the environment and heat being a raw form of energy, there is little actual efficiency difference between them.
Proper insulation of ceilings and doors and windows may be a far better investment. European houses are all insulated and double/tripple glazed to the max. I think we were spoiled with cheap electricity for so long we have not caught on to this and it has now become economically viable to do so.

Regards

The bottom line is that if you need a certain amount of energy (measured as Joule) to heat a room, there is no way of using less energy to achieve that level but to use the Watt's (Joule seconds) required. So no matter what electrical heater you use, the electrical units (Watt ours) will need to be paid for.
Certain heaters may be perceived to be more efficient than others but the fact remains to heat a room a certain amount they will all have to add the same amount of Joules of energy to the environment and heat being a raw form of energy, there is little actual efficiency difference between them.
Proper insulation of ceilings and doors and windows may be a far better investment. European houses are all insulated and double/tripple glazed to the max. I think we were spoiled with cheap electricity for so long we have not caught on to this and it has now become economically viable to do so.

Regards
This makes a lot of sense thanks! My older boys room gets extremely cosy during the day because our house is noth facing, my bedroom is also north facing, however i have a massive tree over growing from the school behind be which causes such issues and every 4-5 years have to trim it back (school refuses to so i have to incur this cost) unfortunately it is overgrown again and thus, this winter my room is cold again.

Gonna go get me a oil fin today. I dont like the fact that when carry baba into the bed in the morning, his body is super warm but his cheeks are cold!

I have one of those little fan heaters. Had it for many many years. Still works and works well. All I need.

Back