Citric Acid

Viper_SA

https://www.tiktok.com/@tinus_viper?lang=en
LV

Awards
Thinking of diluting this in some PG and using as "TFA Sour". Has anyone ever used this before in a DIY mix? If so, how much should I dilute in PG and how much should I use in the final mix?
20150430_142905_resized.jpg

Ah, I just picked some of this up too, haven't had a chance to play with it yet though. Would love to hear if anyone has used this yet.

I have't tried it myself but from what I have read. "TFA Sour" is malic acid. Combining citric and malic would be "Tart & Sour". The citric being tart and malic being sour.

If I may get off topic and ask a question @drew: Typically how much sweetener and smooth would one use? Making a quick 4ml batch of an existing juice I have.

If I may get off topic and ask a question @drew: Typically how much sweetener and smooth would one use? Making a quick 4ml batch of an existing juice I have.

It all depends on the flavour, but I would make a small batch and start with 1% sweetener, then adjust to taste. I would do the same for smooth.

No expert but have tasted @Gambits Snake Oil which I can't duplicate so it might be this. Recipe posted here:
http://ecigssa.co.za/clone-recipes.t9698/#post-196459
Not sure if he bought it liquid or mixed it but also saw this:

http://ecigssa.co.za/my-first-extracts-yum-yum.t8052/#post-171182
A post by @Oliver Barry taken from Reddit.

These are the closest two I have seen with:
a) Previous use and experience
b) Instructions on mix

Tagged them and following this in case they can help and I also would like to know please. Good Lucky :)

Regards,
Fickie

No expert but have tasted @Gambits Snake Oil which I can't duplicate so it might be this. Recipe posted here:
http://ecigssa.co.za/clone-recipes.t9698/#post-196459
Not sure if he bought it liquid or mixed it but also saw this:

http://ecigssa.co.za/my-first-extracts-yum-yum.t8052/#post-171182
A post by @Oliver Barry taken from Reddit.

These are the closest two I have seen with:
a) Previous use and experience
b) Instructions on mix

Tagged them and following this in case they can help and I also would like to know please. Good Lucky :)

Regards,
Fickie
Haha mine's a secret :D

Thinking of diluting this in some PG and using as "TFA Sour". Has anyone ever used this before in a DIY mix? If so, how much should I dilute in PG and how much should I use in the final mix?
View attachment 26299
I use this brand for my mixes, works great. The way I do it is I take a measuring cylinder and fill up 1ml with CA and then 9 ml's PG, run under warm water and shake vigorously until dissolved.

Could one rather mix the stuff in VG instead?
Yeah I'm sure you could I think it would just be harder to get it to dissolve though. Also I only use like 5 or 6 drops per 30ml so the PG added is negligible.

I use this brand for my mixes, works great. The way I do it is I take a measuring cylinder and fill up 1ml with CA and then 9 ml's PG, run under warm water and shake vigorously until dissolved.

Thanks @Gambit and @drew for the inputs

I have't tried it myself but from what I have read. "TFA Sour" is malic acid. Combining citric and malic would be "Tart & Sour". The citric being tart and malic being sour.

@drew, how would you describe the difference between tart and sour?
I often see those words being used in juice descriptions but I dont know the difference
Can you perhaps help?
I also want to make sure I understand it properly for review purposes

@drew, how would you describe the difference between tart and sour?
I often see those words being used in juice descriptions but I dont know the difference
Can you perhaps help?
I also want to make sure I understand it properly for review purposes

I actually have no idea, lol. As mentioned the info provided is from what I have read.

I did get some TFA Sour today and have citric acid crystals so I'll mix up a solution and see if I can describe the difference between the two.

I actually have no idea, lol. As mentioned the info provided is from what I have read.

I did get some TFA Sour today and have citric acid crystals so I'll mix up a solution and see if I can describe the difference between the two.

Yeah @drew take one for the team :D

Ok, thanks @drew. That will help
I would be interested to hear your findings, when you get to it. No rush.
As far as i knew, the terms are pretty much referring to a similar sort of thing
Some googling seems to suggest that tart is a subset of the broader "sour family" of tastes
But nothing better than a direct test to see.

In the name of science I just chucked some dry Citric Acid in my mouth.:D It is a bit "sour" but more like eno's feels on you tongue. The flavor is more concentrated on the tongue, where as those sour sweets one gets kinda pulls your jaw shut and the flavor profile is not just concentrated on the tongue. A bit like the difference between Habaneros and Jalapenos.... If that makes any sense at all....

Some taste testing done. So difficult to describe the difference but I'll do my best. The citric acid has a sharp lemon juice type sourness (or should I say tartness) that hits you in the cheekbones. The malic acid stays mostly on the tongue and is a more dull apple cider vinegar type sour.

Some taste testing done. So difficult to describe the difference but I'll do my best. The citric acid has a sharp lemon juice type sourness (or should I say tartness) that hits you in the cheekbones. The malic acid stays mostly on the tongue and is a more dull apple cider vinegar type sour.

Now I KNOW I'm "different" :D

Had the exact opposite response with the citric acid from @drew

Now I KNOW I'm "different" :D

Had the exact opposite response with the citric acid from @drew

LOL, only read yours after I wrote mine. Exactly the opposite! I think concentrations must be coming into play here.

LOL, only read yours after I wrote mine. Exactly the opposite! I think concentrations must be coming into play here.

Could be a concentration thing, yes. But other people have also told me how harsh pineapple flavor is on the throat, and it doesn't bother me at all. Pear on the other hands, knocks me pretty hard. Then again, I have only been off cigs for about 7 weeks, so my taste and smell are still in a recovery stage I think.

Could be a concentration thing, yes. But other people have also told me how harsh pineapple flavor is on the throat, and it doesn't bother me at all. Pear on the other hands, knocks me pretty hard. Then again, I have only been off cigs for about 7 weeks, so my taste and smell are still in a recovery stage I think.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It took my tastebuds a few months (4-6) to settle down after I quit smoking. After that I could no longer vape some juices I really liked when starting out and vice versa, some I couldn't stand were all of a sudden awesome. I think initially some harsh flavours were quite dulled but "got through" which is what made them good during that time. Then later I found them quite overpowering - pineapple being a prime example, loved it at first, but now I use it only in moderation :D

Also, taste being subjective, we all just experience flavours differently - being that it is processed by your brain there are some many factors that influence how something "tastes" to you ;)

After using citric acid, I don't find much of a need for malic - however both impact flavours in the long run, call it steeping or what you want. I wish I were able to stop the reactions that acids cause from happening in some situations. My ADV which uses quite a bit of citric acid is great for the first 2-3 days, afterwhich is becomes increasingly smooth and rounded, which although in some situations works great, is not what I am looking for.

After using citric acid, I don't find much of a need for malic - however both impact flavours in the long run, call it steeping or what you want. I wish I were able to stop the reactions that acids cause from happening in some situations. My ADV which uses quite a bit of citric acid is great for the first 2-3 days, afterwhich is becomes increasingly smooth and rounded, which although in some situations works great, is not what I am looking for.

increase the pg ratio and or the nic level or lower coil resistance to compensate or decrease airflow a tad?

Back