Clone squonker

Got a bit tired of not having noalox, and gently cleaning the firing pin, and sitting at work giving the battery a spin hoping for a lucky contact, and seeing my batteries with el'scorcheroony marks on them.

So when you have a problem , you take ownership of the problem. Hat tip to the KUI mod, which works in this way and which I dont have to mess with every other day
IMG_20150824_164338.jpg
nothing untoward in this picture, bar the car fuse as a negative contact.

IMG_20150824_164355.jpg
perhaps the eagle-eyed have already spotted the difference...if not, check the positive contact area

IMG_20150824_164433.jpg
the secret, revealed.

I took an old copper pipe clamp, cut a piece out of it, hammered it flat, half-assed filed it to size, found something pokey (a screwdriver) and gently tapped tapped tapped and got a bigger screwdriver and tapped tapped tapped to make a stand-out proud nipple shape to contact my battery. The little square piece is oversized, and is press fitted in from the top into the black plastic. It isnt going anywhere soon.

So thats that..my batteries now stay in constant contact with the "positive" plate, and the firing pin acts against the other side of the plate. The little turned section of the firing pin was flattened. Does this make me a hoople? perhaps. But the firing pin now makes contact with the firing plate over a much larger area. There is always a good connection

Sorry for the bad pictures, I have a really excellent camera, but the room is well foggy right now. This mod has been working for me since the beginning of last week, so its had 7 days road testing already. Havent cleaned it once.

2 new pictures, hopefully they are clearer
IMG_20150824_171149.jpg

IMG_20150824_171201.jpg

Last edited:
So thats that..my batteries now stay in constant contact with the "positive" plate, and the firing pin acts against the other side of the plate. The little turned section of the firing pin was flattened. Does this make me a hoople? perhaps. But the firing pin now makes contact with the firing plate over a much larger area. There is always a good connection

Very clever solution, might give it a go. Thanks for the write up and pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So stuck a quick 24g 6wrap 2.5 I/D kanthal coil in, should be around 0.6ohm. Firstly the chalice is a pain to build on with those posts with castle type nuts, almost stripped one and the build space is tiny. Wicking is a bit of a pain cause the coil sits off centre so do you feed some wicking underneath? Also airflow is fairly tight even wide open, this is compared to a Lemo 1(which is tight to start with) and an Atlantis.

This is my first mech so guess I have been spoilt with the flexibility of VW mods. The vape is ok, tastes like it is on the verge of a dry hit even after around 5 squonks.

One thing I am happy about is that I didn't buy authentics to start this journey off and that clones were available, otherwise I might have been very bleak dropping close to R3k and getting a very mediocre vape.

Not blaming the equipment though, chances are it is my setup and I will need to spend more time playing with the wicking. I am glad these clones are available so people can start their squonking journey.

Any advice would be appreciated!

d899441733f059310e7f8240aa30893e.jpg

4147ba0396c3defa31771592e98e41bc.jpg

Yeah, maybe the Chalice is not the best of atomizer to start your journey with. 24 g might be too heavy for the Chalice and takes a lot of space, which is limited as it is. The afterburn will also take a lot of your juice away. Maybe try 28 g at around 0.7 ohms. The thinner wire is also easier to tighten around the posts. My build here.

Going forward I recommend you shave 3 mm off the catch cup to open up your world for a lot of bf drippers.

@Andre thanks for the advice! Using 28g would be just short of 4 wraps, so should fit easily.

Used rayon to wick but think I may try some jap cotton and see if the flavour is any better.

@Andre thanks for the advice! Using 28g would be just short of 4 wraps, so should fit easily.

Used rayon to wick but think I may try some jap cotton and see if the flavour is any better.

The pleasure is all mine. For the airflow you need to play with the AFC ring until you find the widest open position. I do find that with the clone it needs constant re-adjusting to prevent gurgling. Did you check that the inner airflow hole is aligned with the coil position?

OK I tried a 2013 Cyclone on but it wouldn't screw all the way down... Strike one! I was happy because something is kak... took a 2104 Cyclone and tried it and it screwed on fine! Wicked it and filled the bottle with Tropical Ice. Popped in a battery... btw the bottle is very similar to the REO bottle so @Xhale you can go ahead... they are very much the same.

There is no doubt that the contacts are nowhere as good as the gold ones on the authentics... but I have to say at 1,1 Ohm the thing works...just how well the system will hold up over time remains to be seen.

The fire button is considerably smaller than the authentic and none of the current REO Buttons fit. Also the hole the fire button comes through is only just big enough so replacing parts won't be that simple.

Yes I'm not happy because the device is WAY Better than I had ever thought it would be and I'm not happy they even exist. They are however a lot better than that piece of crap called the KUI. And for $29 delivered it's just mind boggling that this is even possible.

There won't be a RR on it because there is not enough bad to say about it and I'm bleak the REO has been cloned.
Have to say here Rob, My KUI is to this day working 100% I have had 0 issues with mine, it's a v2 was lucky never to have touched version 1, hehe

I have been using the stock atty on it with everything else stock, did not have to replace a single thing all is still in working order... not even a single leak either... Maybe I was lucky, hehe... The device is heavy, when I compare it to Reo's... but that is about it :)

I'm not t much of a squanking fan, it works, works well even, but I prefer dripping... since I started back on my hades 26650 with a Trident, I could not get anything that works as well as drippers... :)

Have to say here Rob, My KUI is to this day working 100% I have had 0 issues with mine, it's a v2 was lucky never to have touched version 1, hehe

I have been using the stock atty on it with everything else stock, did not have to replace a single thing all is still in working order... not even a single leak either... Maybe I was lucky, hehe... The device is heavy, when I compare it to Reo's... but that is about it :)

I'm not t much of a squanking fan, it works, works well even, but I prefer dripping... since I started back on my hades 26650 with a Trident, I could not get anything that works as well as drippers... :)
It should be the same as dripping - I mean only difference is you feed from the bottom and you need much less wicking. Of course, very dependent on the atomizer you use. You need a bf Trident!

true true, but i'm long off the trident, just mentioned it as that is where I stetted, hehe...

As for being the same, nope, I love those hot dense experiences, so hectic flavor and clouds are my thing, in other words, 0.2 ohm max, my comfort is between 0.2 and 0.08 and I do not think the springs would handle that, hehe, proper mech mods, like the hades mod, or dimitri that I love so much are required here....

Have to say, this damn X Cobe 2 is also keeping me happy, have a 0.13 build on it, and tastes brilliant anywhere from 90 watts... tried it a couple of times on 160 watts... damn that is a hot vape, and juice dies so quick, you take two draws and have to drip like 10 drops again, lolzz But she is working like a charm... coupled with a velocity :)

i'm also looking to give temp control another try with 160 watts, as @ 60 watts I was not impressed... this will be the last try, or p[perhaps an Ti upgrade on the software and then the last try, hehe :)

true true, but i'm long off the trident, just mentioned it as that is where I stetted, hehe...

As for being the same, nope, I love those hot dense experiences, so hectic flavor and clouds are my thing, in other words, 0.2 ohm max, my comfort is between 0.2 and 0.08 and I do not think the springs would handle that, hehe, proper mech mods, like the hades mod, or dimitri that I love so much are required here....

Have to say, this damn X Cobe 2 is also keeping me happy, have a 0.13 build on it, and tastes brilliant anywhere from 90 watts... tried it a couple of times on 160 watts... damn that is a hot vape, and juice dies so quick, you take two draws and have to drip like 10 drops again, lolzz But she is working like a charm... coupled with a velocity :)

i'm also looking to give temp control another try with 160 watts, as @ 60 watts I was not impressed... this will be the last try, or p[perhaps an Ti upgrade on the software and then the last try, hehe :)
Ah, a Reo can handle 0.2 ohms - the KUI probably not, but you won't like the battery life. You are of the same cloth as @zadiac when it comes to vaping seems to me. He has ordered an awesome dual battery squonker - http://www.ecigssa.co.za/picture-update-on-my-parallel-vr-woodmod-in-the-making.t14011/

oh, yes, I saw that, pretty!!!!!!!!! and that is awesome!!!

Ja, I also do not think the springs will handle 0.2 have not tried, I think the build I have on there now is 0.3 or something like that :)

battery life is ok, I have a charger and a good couple of battery's, hehe.. kinda used to it with the builds I so, hehe

that wood one would be a damn good alternative, I would still be able to build my lekker builds, and at the same time have the ease of squanking.. have to say, when you are used to dripping, you generally do not get dry burns.. the only issue I have then with dripping, is doing it while driving, hehe... and there is where my evic VT comes in running a billow v2 that i also love to bits :)

Isn't vaping a wonderful thing, with all the products on the market, and the millions of ways you can build on each... you care literally spoiled for choice

I know the Chalice is highly rated but for me it sucks... put a Cyclone or RM2 or even an Atomic on top and you will really start to understand the squonk attraction. But seeing you like the sub ohm stuff try a dual coil on a Rogue.

Whoops! EDIT: I forgot you are stuck with only 14mm atties. RM2 and open the hole a dash!

@JW Flynn, the Reo can handle 0.2ohms no problem. I have one of my original nuppins with a dual coil 2.5 ID as standard running right now with a good tobacco. it's pretty much as hot and dense as I can handle. And it's really awesome, but the other setup is running 0.5 Ohms for the fruitier flavours.

Hi @moonunit
I dont have a Chalice but @Andre is right, its probably your setup
All i can say is that for mouth to lung vaping my RM2 on my Reo has been in service for over a year and it is truly exceptional.
And for lung hits, my Nuppin has been performing superbly

You just need the right atty and setup then i think you will be very happy

Mine eventually arrived today. Having never owned a reo I don't think the quality is bad for just over R300.00(will a little more at today's rate). Have a chalice 3 clone to go with it. Will try everything out tonight, very intrigued to see what this squonking is all about.

@moonunit I think you'll have some fun w/ the mod and atty clones, they are pretty good surprisingly but coil placement and wicking are paramount so you might want to ask the reonauts for advise or check a video by super x.Wish I could do a side by side w/ the authentic.One thing I can say is to keep your coil around 1 ohm or so for best performance imo.

So stuck a quick 24g 6wrap 2.5 I/D kanthal coil in, should be around 0.6ohm. Firstly the chalice is a pain to build on with those posts with castle type nuts, almost stripped one and the build space is tiny. Wicking is a bit of a pain cause the coil sits off centre so do you feed some wicking underneath? Also airflow is fairly tight even wide open, this is compared to a Lemo 1(which is tight to start with) and an Atlantis.

This is my first mech so guess I have been spoilt with the flexibility of VW mods. The vape is ok, tastes like it is on the verge of a dry hit even after around 5 squonks.

One thing I am happy about is that I didn't buy authentics to start this journey off and that clones were available, otherwise I might have been very bleak dropping close to R3k and getting a very mediocre vape.

Not blaming the equipment though, chances are it is my setup and I will need to spend more time playing with the wicking. I am glad these clones are available so people can start their squonking journey.

Any advice would be appreciated!

d899441733f059310e7f8240aa30893e.jpg

4147ba0396c3defa31771592e98e41bc.jpg

@moonunit l went through the same problems with my clones.my suggestions are to build higher(i'm at .9) and use 28 or up to 32g wire, much easier on the chalice and experiment w/coil pos.(I find in the middle of the post and almost flat to the bottom of the atty works best) and not too heavy w/ the cotton.Luck to ya'

Very clever solution, might give it a go. Thanks for the write up and pics!

Also try loosening the drip tip to let air flow when drawing on it

@JW Flynn speaking of hard hitting mechs I own a Osmium clone and that sucker kicks like a mule.

Just a hought here @phanatik, I have 4 Terminators with no issues. If you add on shipping charges back and forth, as well as labour to mill the top down to fit other 22mm atties, this clone would be much more expensive than the Terminator. Unless you can file 100% with a hand file, I would risk a hand job :D yup, I just said hand job :D

Any user feedback on the terminator ?

Back