Coils are getting wrecked

Ya I'd also say Subtank Mini. I've haven't used one, but as @free3dom says...

I personally prefer RDA'S. Depending on which one, the flavour is usually a bit better and you get nice clouds.

BUT they can be a pain in the ass. Some can be tricky to set up well. They often leak, so you have to be careful etc.

It's not always a newbie friendly option, to get into dripping. subtank mini should keep you happy and get you into building. Plus the option to pop in a commercial coil, when you may be getting frustrated, is a good little advantage.

Seriously...I love drippers but the SubTank Mini's flavour is off the charts and more than close enough to a dripper - and with the added convenience of a tank it is far and away my favourite device right now. Get one (or two) :D

I do use my drippers when I'm testing flavours or when I'm at home and relaxing :)
A good dripper with a nice coil setup is always going to beat a tank...but the difference is shrinking by the day :giggle:

For starting out, and also at minimum matching your current gear, you would be looking at RTA (tanks), imo.
The two standouts in this would be Kayfun for mouth-to-lung vaping, and Lemo for lunghitting.

I would hishly recommend the Kayfun as a starting point. As a mouth-to-lung device, it will closer match what you are used to right now - while also being a severe step up in quality of vape.
The deck is pretty much the pioneer of all decks used in most RTA's out there.
It's a tried, tested, and reliable tank any way you look at it.
The only downside is that you will likely be getting a clone, as the originals are extremely hard to get hold of, not to mention their skyhigh pricetags.
At the same time though, a quality dripper should become part of your arsenal by default. Even if it just for experimenting with juices. Some standout names here include: Odin, Plumeveil, Patriot, etc.
As a beginner, I strongly recommend you stay away (at first) from oddballs like Veritas etc. While they are amazing drippers, building on one for the first time is very intimidating.
Look at pictures of a Plumeveil. Pay attention to the build deck, with it's posts. Anything that deviates from that same type of building deck by too much, will probably be a pain to learn on...

As for a mod, I just dont think you can go wrong with the new eLeaf products. iStick 50W is a champ in every department that matters.
Affordable, quality, original, massive battery life, USB passthrough, allows decent sub-ohm... the only serious drawback is that it's batteries are not user-replaceable (at least, not without risking damage).

Both of these devices are pretty readily available from numerous vendors here on the forum, at very affordable prices.

Large warning though:
WHATEVER NIC CONTENT YOU ARE USING IN YOUR CURRENT SETUP, HALF IT.

I really don't agree with starting on a kayfun. 6 months back yes, but the current generation of tanks are 100 times better suited to beginners, while delivering much improved flavour and vapor. And unless you get an Authentic Kayfun ($100+) you will get a cheap crappy clone :(

The SubTank and Lemo are quality authentic devices, both less than R500 each. That alone makes them the default choice and when you consider the quality of vape it's a no-brainer ;)

I really don't agree with starting on a kayfun. 6 months back yes, but the current generation of tanks are 100 times better suited to beginners, while delivering much improved flavour and vapor. And unless you get an Authentic Kayfun ($100+) you will get a cheap crappy clone :(

The SubTank and Lemo are quality authentic devices, both less than R500 each. That alone makes them the default choice and when you consider the quality of vape it's a no-brainer ;)

Yeah i literally just edited that post lolz.
My oversight of Subtank Mini is criminal!

Some reason my mind was still stuck in "25mm?! WTF?!?!" mode... ;(

Yeah i literally just edited that post lolz.
My oversight of Subtank Mini is criminal!

Some reason my mind was still stuck in "25mm?! WTF?!?!" mode... ;(

Yep...that 25mm nearly ruined RTAs :rofl::rofl:
But Kanger saved us with the Mini...just in time ;)

I still love my Kayfun though - but shhh, don't tell my SubTank Mini :p:D

I Love my nautilus but only get 3 day's on a coil so I made the jump after a lot of research.
The Subtank mini is a bit different from it but got used to it in a day. Got two new coils with it that I have not used yet, I will keep them as a backup.
My first coil that I build is 1 ohm and is working 100% for 3 days now.
Subtank mini with Istick work for me

I Love my nautilus but only get 3 day's on a coil so I made the jump after a lot of research.
The Subtank mini is a bit different from it but got used to it in a day. Got two new coils with it that I have not used yet, I will keep them as a backup.
My first coil that I build is 1 ohm and is working 100% for 3 days now.
Subtank mini with Istick work for me

That's great news! Also, remember that even when you start losing taste or get burning, you only need to replace the wicking - a single coil can last you a month (or more). Just remove the old wick gently (don't yank it out, best is to cut it right next to the coil on one side) put it on your device and fire it a few times (3-5 seconds at a time and let it cool down inbetween) - this cleans all the crap off the coil. Then just put some new wick in there and you are set. The whole think takes a couple of minutes and you have a 100% coil again :D

What all of these awesome members did not include in their essays @Manbearzombie is that there is a third alternative. A device that gives you the awesomeness of dripping without the hassle of dripping - perfect for your driving example. What is called a bottom fed device, like a Reo Grand which has a 6 ml bottle in the Reo, which sits below the atomizer. As you press the bottle the juice goes up to the wick and saturates it. You then vape dripper quality. When needed you just squonk to get more juice in your wick. The atomizers are basically drippers (like the Odin, Derringer, etc), which have been modified to bottom feed.
The Reo Grand is not a cheap device, but worth the investment imo. Here are more details: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/reo-the-basics.t2561/
Cheaper bottom fed devices are starting to become available, like the KUI. Still some problems with the KUI, but I am sure the second version will be better. Should also be seeing a regulated KUI soon.

Woah okay. So I'll be looking into getting an iStick with a Subtank mini for my upgrade.

I've seen Reo all over this forum so I reckon when the time comes, I'll hook a Reo up, but for now I'll stick to the stuff closer to my budget. If there's this much fuss about it, it has to be good.

Thanks again guys. This forum has been waaaaaaaaay more helpful than I could've expected. You're all legends.

Woah okay. So I'll be looking into getting an iStick with a Subtank mini for my upgrade.

I've seen Reo all over this forum so I reckon when the time comes, I'll hook a Reo up, but for now I'll stick to the stuff closer to my budget. If there's this much fuss about it, it has to be good.

Thanks again guys. This forum has been waaaaaaaaay more helpful than I could've expected. You're all legends.
You are going to love the iStick with Subtank Mini. Keep us updated.

Just an update. Been sticking to lighter juices and paying more attention to e-cig maintenance as you guys have suggested. Been almost two weeks since I've inserted my last coil and the coil is still holding strong.

I just wanted to congratulate the EcigsSA veterans on expanding the life-expectancy of an, allegedly, innocent coil.

Good work, guys. Your advice has done wonders. I'm sure the coil's family extends their gratitude.

(I should not be posting on here after a long day of studying, but here I am. Procrastinating. Like a boss.)

Okay, folks. Sorry for necroing an old thread, but I promised an update as soon as I got the gear.

So I went with the Istick and Subtank mini combo. Went for the 30W instead of the 50W because it's a bit easier to fit in my pocket. I bought it from the Vapemob shop in Durbanville and I was 100% satisfied with the service. So thanks, Vapemod and guy who was working there today! You are all legends. And thanks to the folks who recommended the gear.

I am completely satisfied with the device. I've only ever vaped the device I started with so my mind has officially been blown by the awesomeness that is a combination of Istick and Subtank mini. I am yet to try the RBA stuff but I will get to it in the near future now that I can go for it.

Pic below:

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 17
well man why wait I assume you got an RBA deck to go with the Sub mini.

well man why wait I assume you got an RBA deck to go with the Sub mini.

Yeah, it came with sub mini. In my excitement I forgot to get the proper wire for building the coil. I reckon I'll pop in tomorrow and get the wire. The stock coils are a bit hectic if I set the voltage up. I'm keen to see what this thing can do though and I'm excited to learn about using rebuildable coils. I'll make it a weekend project.

Back