Crafted Coils - Ohms and Coils Discussion

Crafted Coils

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Discussion time.jpg

I want to start a discussion today.

Why is everyone so fixated on ohmage? After chatting to a few people over the weekend, I've found most people ask me for a coil based on ohms, eg. "I want a 0.2 ohm coil or a 0.1 ohm coil what do you have?"

What's your understanding of the correlation between coil ohmage and how a coil performs?

I know we use ohms for battery safety on Mechs, but it goes deeper than this.

Let's hear your thoughts.

P.S I have covered this topic on another social media platform a while back but I want to have it here as well as I still find the issue being brought up regularly.

To a lot of vapers the following is the case; the lower resistance, the higher wattage you'll able to run. The higher the wattage, the more heat and flavour you gain from the experience.

For me personally when sub-ohm vaping I prefer coils around the 0.3-0.4 ohm mark. Not too stressful on the batteries, a decent vape at 30-40W but most importantly is the heat factor... Below 0.3 I find the vape a tad bit hot for my liking and being a huge fan of fruity menthols its quite unpleasant when its too hot. Conversely, above 0.6 is just not quite on par with my preference. 0.7-0.8 ohm falls into my MTL requirements category...

I also tend to favour smaller coils (4-5 wraps) less wire mass requires less power to heat up.

To a lot of vapers the following is the case; the lower resistance, the higher wattage you'll able to run. The higher the wattage, the more heat and flavour you gain from the experience.

I agree with this to some extent, yes 3 years ago I would've said the same, but with the experience I have now, I can say with full confidence that this is far from the truth, what if I told them my Quad Core Aliens which are 0.12 ohms run at lower wattage than my Micro Aliens which are 0.18 ohms.

And the flavour is 10x better than the micros and a set of 3000mah batteries give me around 16 to 18hrs of battery life, just this weekend at vapecon, I used a setup the full day, came home at 8 and put my batteries on charge and they were still at 3.82v and this was running on a Telsa Invader 3 which eats battery if the mod is on even when not being fired.

For me personally when sub-ohm vaping I prefer coils around the 0.3-0.4 ohm mark. Not too stressful on the batteries, a decent vape at 30-40W but most importantly is the heat factor... Below 0.3 I find the vape a tad bit hot for my liking and being a huge fan of fruity menthols its quite unpleasant when its too hot. Conversely, above 0.6 is just not quite on par with my preference. 0.7-0.8 ohm falls into my MTL requirements category...

I also tend to favour smaller coils (4-5 wraps) less wire mass requires less power to heat up.

I'm sure you remember the questions I asked you when you bought coils from me, I work on wattage more than ohms, basically like you said the smaller the coils the quicker the ramp up and I 100% agree with you, it's basically the same idea but on a larger scale, I've built a 0.68ohm coil that needed a 100w to actually give a good vape, but then I have a 0.21 ohm coil which runs at 45w and does the exact same thing, so I wouldn't say the 0.68ohm coil is safer on batteries either, but rather the 0.21 is much safer as it needs less amperage to get it up to temp.

With MTL it is exactly the same, I've built 1.4ohm coils that needed 25w to run but then again a 0.8 uses the same wattage but works the same if not better so what I'm getting at, rather look at wattage more than ohms.

I'm sure you remember the questions I asked you when you bought coils from me, I work on wattage more than ohms, basically like you said the smaller the coils the quicker the ramp up and I 100% agree with you, it's basically the same idea but on a larger scale, I've built a 0.68ohm coil that needed a 100w to actually give a good vape, but then I have a 0.21 ohm coil which runs at 45w and does the exact same thing, so I wouldn't say the 0.68ohm coil is safer on batteries either, but rather the 0.21 is much safer as it needs less amperage to get it up to temp.

With MTL it is exactly the same, I've built 1.4ohm coils that needed 25w to run but then again a 0.8 uses the same wattage but works the same if not better so what I'm getting at, rather look at wattage more than ohms.

I agree with you... But resistance is also a key factor... Its the nozzle to the flow of current... The higher the resistance (within reasonable range) the tighter the flow of current through the coil. For me, ultimately, it comes down mostly to wire mass... I don't like big coils because they get hot and retain residual heat. I like em small, within the 0.3-0.4 ohm range so that I can go all day at 30W on a single battery. Using the armor pro mod and a 20700 I get a bit more than a day.

I have no idea, but struggle to find 2.5 mm MTL commercial coils. Most of my mods I run at 15 Watts, one or two at 20 Watts.

Back