Decent DIY mixing scale

Quintusson

Life is good and I am blessed :)
Supporting Vendor
LV

Awards
So I am about to buy my 3rd DIY mixing scale. Like shoes, these things do not seem to last with me. However I am hoping that as the same with shoes, if I spend a bit more and get something decent, it will last a while longer.

That being said, which one should I get? The requirement is it should do a minimum of 500gr and with a precision of 0.01gr.

There are quite a number of ones out there, most need to be imported it seems but I can wait seeing as I am getting my 3rd one now so I have a few months, but also if a decent one comes at a decent price, it means I have a few months to save up for something.

The two I have had are:
Scale 1.jpg

And then most recently:
Scale 2.jpg

I have read good things about the My Weigh Durascale, but its 0.01 precision scales only go up to 300gr and its 660gr scale only has a precision of 0.1gr.

Anyone out there that has had a scale that lasted them a long time?

I have had the one in your last picture (SF-830) since April of 2016 and it has not missed a beat yet.

Mine has recently decided to start jumping on the numbers it displays. When I put a bottle on I reset it then wait about 10 seconds for it to settle. Sometimes I have to reset it more than once for it to settle on 0 but once it does it works well.

The American Weigh Scales LB501 seems to be the standard for American mixers and I have heard rave reviews about it. It appears subject to the same quirks as others, such as the scale display sometimes 'freezing' and not registering small additions. But most folks seem to think it's a durable and quality scale.

I have also had the SF-830 for a while now and have been very happy with it. But ultimately it's a R240 scale, not a precision instrument, I don't think one can expect much longevity from it. I'm not sure how to get around it other than to budget for the occasional replacement of a scale when it no longer works properly.

I have had the one in your last picture (SF-830) since April of 2016 and it has not missed a beat yet.
Ok so where can one buy a scale like this or similar in SA? I dont need a 1k+ scale but surely there must be a better option for a few bob more, tham these little R100 pocket scales

Ok so where can one buy a scale like this or similar in SA? I dont need a 1k+ scale but surely there must be a better option for a few bob more, tham these little R100 pocket scales

Got my SF-830 at ValleyVapour a while back
Im fairly sure BLCKVapour also sells them

So I decided to test the Wish app and see if it works. Spent about $10 in total for about 12 different things and then the shipping as well which I cannot recall how much it was. Included in there was 3 scales, one for $1 and the other two for free. About 6 months down the line and I am happy to report that I received all three scales (some of the other things I ordered never came but that's another matter) and now I am sorted if anything was to happen to the scale I am using now. Tried two of the three and they work perfectly! Did weight measurement comparisons between all of them versus the one I am using now and exactly the same weight was measured to the 2nd decimal on all of them.

The only thing which threw me off a bit was that the one scale required a weight calibration before you could use it the first time. I did not have any calibration weights, so I bought one from Blckvapour. Always useful to have around I think, even if just to check your scale every now and then.

So now I do not need to save up for the expensive scales or such anymore since I have a backup and a backup for the backup, etc. :)

Back