"disposable" atomizer recoil using 30GA UD "YouDe" Kanthal wire

StevoStevo

Noob Vaper
LV

Awards
Right, so I've seen a number of people on YouTube recoiling their so called, "Disposable" Ego atties. and thought, since I have three clearomizers with abnormally long wicks, I would try my hand at one.

I have taken a single strand of the original glass fiber / silica wick, cut it in half, placed it length wise on an injection needle and wrapped 6 coils using 30GA UD, "YouDe" Kanthal which I preburnt. Put everything back together besides the tank, lubed her up, connected and fired up intermittently, seemed to be firing and produced small puffs of vapor. So assuming all is in order I added the tank and filled up. Took a few hits and immediately I noticed the taste was not as it was. I did some research, people said an odd metallic taste is to be expected with a new coil and my eyes immediately rolled at the notion. I kept vaping with 2-3 second bursts thinking it would in fact get better. It didn't. It began to feel like I was inhaling small shards, even when covered with tissue paper. I continued doing so with the tissue, inhaling only small amounts, once again thinking it would burn off. It didn't. What it did do, was give me a nice "splinter like" cough.

Now it may be worth mentioning that I am not running this through a battery, I have bypassed the battery, well removed it entirely, and connected it all through USB. This worked fantastically with the original coils and allowed me to take nice hard pulls with a good 30% increase in vapor production over the battery. Since it is connected though USB though, I thought the new wires may be heating up to fast since they are new and do not contain any carbon coating. Took a look with the tank and rubber chimney top removed and they seemed to be doing no such thing. No burning of wick or immediate red hot glows. After that, I though it's still worth connecting it to a long USB extension as this lowered vapor production on the original coils but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue with the new coils.

I dismantled my other two clearomizers, did 2 less coils on one and 1 more coil on the other, preburnt the one and left the other unburnt and yet both of them are giving me the same effect. My intuition tells me this is all due to the wire being used. I don't mean to boast but my intuition is something that seldom lets me down.

My question, has anyone had similar experiences with the wire in the following pics? Through constructive reasoning, I just don't see how it's something I'm doing wrong or an over-voltage through the USB. As i said, the original coils were handling it just fine and they were even thinner..
DSC_0359.jpg DSC_0358.jpg
Short: The new wire... Long: OriginalDSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg DSC_0356.jpg

I use UD Kanthal for my builds and have never experienced what you are. Maybe your problem is the silica wick that you are using. You could also be wrapping your coils too tightly around the silica wick causing it to choke and not wick the juice effectively.

I use UD Kanthal for my builds and have never experienced what you are. Maybe your problem is the silica wick that you are using. You could also be wrapping your coils too tightly around the silica wick causing it to choke and not wick the juice effectively.

That may very well be! I have wrapped them "as tight as possible".. Did so due to all of RipTrippers tuts on YouTube.. I did notice that one of the originals was wrapped spaced rather far apart. Will dismantle and see how it performs. Even though coiling one of these suckers is like microscopic surgery. I'm reusing wicks as I don't have any cotton. They are pretty much my only option at the moment but figured it would be fine since they worked like champs with the original coils.

Have a listen to what one of the kings of coil making has to say about it. Just skip ahead to 4:15.

Thanks for taking the time to read and provide some input. It's greatly appreciated!

Hi @StevoStevo
Do you have a pic of the final coil and wick by any chance?

Update:

Okay so finally got down to business. Below are some pics of how these coils look. Not the prettiest but keep in mind these things are truly minute and the wicks are well used! Quite frankly, I feel horrible for the factory workers putting these things together.

For anyone wondering how these things come apart or look inside, I've done my best to display them in their dismantled form.

Left: Seems slightly burnt but that's the one I went all out on thinking the taste would burn off.
Middle: Shortened version.
Right: The first try, wrapped as tight as can be, squished with tweezers and tensioned by tugging on the ends. (Bad move)
DSC_0371.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics @StevoStevo
Those coils of yours look pretty good to me (at least just from what I can see in the pic)
The one in the middle looks the best to my eye.
The one on the right looks a little bit too tight and a bit uneven.

Big respect to you for building coils in such tiny devices that weren't intended for rebuilding.
I used to do a similar thing (with cotton though) in the mini protanks.
You are right, its tiny in there and requires lots of precision and patience.

I am sure you will be surprised when you get a rebuildable RDA or RTA and see how much space you have and how much more convenient it is to build coils. You will love it!

Thanks @Silver

Agreed! Very much looking forward to that! As a matter of fact, waiting on my orders has got me tossing n turning, especially since I have nothing to use besides those 3 clearomizers. To be honest I don't much like the idea of the silica wick, I've seen little strands floating around and I'm absolutely terrified of getting it in an eye or breathing it in. The thought of vaping it terrifies me even more. I'll boil some cotton balls and see if that works any better in one or two of the builds.

The one in the middle has 3 threads of silica, i can only assume that that's why it turned out somewhat neater and less compact. I know i can do better with these lil coils though so when I find the motivation I'll be redoing each of them them. Might even do one with cotton and the original coil which I have straightened out and cleaned off with some benzene, the second with cotton and the new wire, then the third with four wicks and new wire. :dance:

Will report back and share my findings.

Hope everyone's enjoyed their weekend!
Over n out for now.

Back