DIY Mod build Q&A.

Hey @Alex, how's about some updated pics of that cool pin striping you were telling me about.

I was feeling really bored when I did this, and I was planning to do a white circle in the middle. But unfortunately the can of spray paint was almost finished, and I didn't shake it properly so some of the solvent from the can messed up the job. That was when I decided to bring out the dremel and play around a little :eek: finished it off with some clear epoxy to give it a 3D look:WINKINGFACE: As they used to say in the army, it's got some houding now.
21417868028_5c4e21a9e6_z.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

I was feeling really bored when I did this, and I was planning to do a white circle in the middle. But unfortunately the can of spray paint was almost finished, and I didn't shake it properly so some of the solvent from the can messed up the job. That was when I decided to bring out the dremel and play around a little :eek: finished it off with some clear epoxy to give it a 3D look:WINKINGFACE: As they used to say in the army, it's got some houding now.
21417868028_5c4e21a9e6_z.jpg
That does look interesting, that spot in the middle needs a good buff though, polish up the magnets and put a drop of epoxy on them, will look really slick :)

That does look interesting, that spot in the middle needs a good buff though, polish up the magnets and put a drop of epoxy on them, will look really slick :)

Thanks for the advice, it does look good IRL. ;)

From design to reality, 3D printed (soon to be parallel) box mods, will finish them through the week or next week
20150928_150104.jpg IMG-20150928-WA0008.jpg IMG-20150928-WA0005.jpg

Ok guys I have officially hit a brick wall...

Wanted to use 15g solid copper wire in my 3D printed boxes, tried soldering the wire for one of them today but all I accomplished was pissing myself off, going to look for a new soldering iron tomorrow and thinner strandes wire, but want to know what is the thinnest guage wire i can use for a parallel mod? because the solid/thick wire is a nightmare to solder and i dont have much space in the box?

Ok guys I have officially hit a brick wall...

Wanted to use 15g solid copper wire in my 3D printed boxes, tried soldering the wire for one of them today but all I accomplished was pissing myself off, going to look for a new soldering iron tomorrow and thinner strandes wire, but want to know what is the thinnest guage wire i can use for a parallel mod? because the solid/thick wire is a nightmare to solder and i dont have much space in the box?
18g should be fine and a diy little soldering iron is not going to cut it. You can pick up a decent solder station for about R 900.00 that will last you forever and not piss you off.

@Yoda for thick wires etc. you need a Soldering Iron/Station of at least 90W. Good soldering Stations that are used for lead free soldering (can be used with leaded solder as well) will do the job - most of the more affordable ones work kind of "unconventionally" on induction heating principle, and are very energy efficient. Apart from the new generation Weller- and Metcal brands (which are very expensive), we found the following make very reliable (+/- US$ 120): http://www.yihua-soldering.com/product-5-9-high-frequency-soldering-station-en/147704

Yihua.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies @Gazzacpt and @johan, i found a guy that runs with my dad that has a good station that he said i can borrow and ill get some wire thats a bit thinner that 14g

Back