DIY - Negative Health symptoms

I have (TFA) Ethyl Maltol Crystal's how do I mix it by scale I see A lot of people saying 1/4 teespoon on 10ml pg but I don't wanna mess it up so any help please. And microwave in burst till it dissolves. I don't have any other sweetener so crystals it is.
That measurement is correct. A level teaspoon (5 mls - 40mls PG)
I strongly advise against using the microwave.
I used to mix in a glass bottle and then put a pot of water on stove with glass bottle inside (cap off) and slowly move the bottle around whilst raising temp of water in pot.
You need quite a bit of heat to get the crystals to disolve.

To have absolute constancy with the 5mls I used this baby medicine spoon.

1c414bb4a4e8432b94ef6c461bf3a743.jpg

Last edited:
The typical mix is a 10% solution in PG, i.e. 10g crystals in 90g PG (measure using a scale for most accurate results). Then also microwaving it was one of the lessons learnt, do not do it in my humble opinion. Best is to place it in a small glass container - like the old 30ml bottles of late (which is what I used back then still) - then place it in cup with warm to hot water until the crystals dissolve, cap open. Depending on the water, this may need to be repeated until all the crystals have dissolved. If you do decide to do it in a microwave just a word of warning, PG heats up very quickly and burns like lava when it touches your skin.
Thank you so much will go with scale and no microwave NOTED. I need a bit of sweet in my life. And thanks @DougP
Will do it in glass beaker and in warm water and when cooled bottle it.

I was reading about your experience and what i got from this is that only the last 10 mls(in a 100ml bottle) or so of this super sweet mix has given you these symptoms.
So what popped into my head was that maybe that last 10 mls in the bottle has oxidized because the more you use up the SS the more oxygen is present in the bottle which can cause oxidation.
I was told that if you are going to be storing liquids for Long periods of time then it should be in a bottle that does not have a lot of empty space(i.e if you have a 60ml bottle with only 20 mls of liquid in it then rather move liquid to a 30ml bottle so there is more liquid in the bottle than oxygen)

Bare in mind i'm really not an expert nor do i fully understand the principles of oxidation but i do know that if you store your nicotine in a bottle that has more oxygen than nicotine then it starts to degrade much faster, it becomes more peppery and harsh and might even start to turn a little brown due to oxidation. Same thing happens with whiskey.

I'm not really sure if the same thing is happening here in this case with the SuperSweet.
All i know is that the word oxidation is a synonym for rust and that's not good, so once my bottle of nic is about 1/3 of the way down maybe a little lower closer to half way, i then transfer it to a smaller bottle so less oxygen is present and i can honestly say my nic lasts longer and does not go peppery or harsh over time.

So maybe once the super sweet level goes down then transfer it into a smaller bottle so less oxygen is present.

This is just a theory, i'm not even sure if any of the ingredients used in SuperSweet can oxidize but it might explain why only the last bit of SS in the bottle had such a bad effect on you.

Maybe this will help, maybe not, but let me just make a point here about plastics. Almost all plastics used for these types of applications are permeable. Meaning oxygen can get in from the outside through the plastic. I know this because I work in the industry. Which is exactly why big soft drink manufacturers have sales on plastic bottles of their drinks. The average shelf life if a bottle of Coke in plastic is 3 months. After that the gas escaping through the plastic has reached such a point where the drink becomes flat. Exactly the reason why those small town cafes, with low turnover, still sell it in glas bottles. So, if gas can go out, oxygen can come in. Which is why I always try and buy in glass when I make bulk purchases, like large bottles of tomato sauce for instance. My advice would be to store in a glass container instead of plastic (if you don't already do).

P. S. If my boss reads this message, no-one here knows my real name :rolleyes:

Maybe this will help, maybe not, but let me just make a point here about plastics. Almost all plastics used for these types of applications are permeable. Meaning oxygen can get in from the outside through the plastic. I know this because I work in the industry. Which is exactly why big soft drink manufacturers have sales on plastic bottles of their drinks. The average shelf life if a bottle of Coke in plastic is 3 months. After that the gas escaping through the plastic has reached such a point where the drink becomes flat. Exactly the reason why those small town cafes, with low turnover, still sell it in glas bottles. So, if gas can go out, oxygen can come in. Which is why I always try and buy in glass when I make bulk purchases, like large bottles of tomato sauce for instance. My advice would be to store in a glass container instead of plastic (if you don't already do).

P. S. If my boss reads this message, no-one here knows my real name :rolleyes:
Very Interesting..thanks for pointing this out...

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

I have (TFA) Ethyl Maltol Crystal's how do I mix it by scale I see A lot of people saying 1/4 teespoon on 10ml pg but I don't wanna mess it up so any help please. And microwave in burst till it dissolves. I don't have any other sweetener so crystals it is.

The typical mix is a 10% solution in PG, i.e. 10g crystals in 90g PG (measure using a scale for most accurate results). Then also microwaving it was one of the lessons learnt, do not do it in my humble opinion. Best is to place it in a small glass container - like the old 30ml bottles of late (which is what I used back then still) - then place it in cup with warm to hot water until the crystals dissolve, cap open. Depending on the water, this may need to be repeated until all the crystals have dissolved. If you do decide to do it in a microwave just a word of warning, PG heats up very quickly and burns like lava when it touches your skin.

Suddenly I'm seeing only quotes and no replies.... Weird

Suddenly I'm seeing only quotes and no replies.... Weird
Well I assumed he wanted to bring that comment up again as he seemed to have missed the response. So I was too lazy to type a response again and just quoted my previous one. :eek::D

Back