DNA 75 fail?

Raindance

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
DNA75 advice needed

Guys and dolls, please help me to understand this problem.

I own a DNA75 mod which according to my experience and expectations is not functioning correctly. What I experience is that it reads the resistance of my atties about 10% lower than any of my other mods and when vaping in TC mode I need to crank up the temperature close to max to get a vape similar to the 210C mark on my other mods.

This just does not gel as this implies the mod reads the static resistance incorrectly but under power reads the true resistance. Confusing...

I have dug deep into the software settings, of which there are a lot, and tried using the "Internal resistance" setting to correct this but as one can not select a negative internal resistance, my efforts were fruitless.

Has anyone here experienced the same? Is my mod dammaged or am I just not getting it? If the latter, please assist me in getting it right.

Regards

DNA75 advice needed

Guys and dolls, please help me to understand this problem.

I own a DNA75 mod which according to my experience and expectations is not functioning correctly. What I experience is that it reads the resistance of my atties about 10% lower than any of my other mods and when vaping in TC mode I need to crank up the temperature close to max to get a vape similar to the 210C mark on my other mods.

This just does not gel as this implies the mod reads the static resistance incorrectly but under power reads the true resistance. Confusing...

I have dug deep into the software settings, of which there are a lot, and tried using the "Internal resistance" setting to correct this but as one can not select a negative internal resistance, my efforts were fruitless.

Has anyone here experienced the same? Is my mod dammaged or am I just not getting it? If the latter, please assist me in getting it right.

Regards
@Raindance seeing same thing my side...minikin reads cold at 0.2 whilst triade reads cold at bet 0m16 to 0.18

Ate you using SS or ni 200.
Also you can set the resistance offset in escribe if you so wish.

What version of EScribe/Firmware are you using?
Current is 1.2 SP5
Also which DNA75 it?

What version of EScribe/Firmware are you using?
Current is 1.2 SP5
Also which DNA75 it?
Hi Nos

The device is a Lost Vapes Skar, Upgraded the mod firmware to the latest (Device not with me at the moment) and tested with both the updated firmware as well as the version the mod was delivered with. Escribe version 1.2 SP3. I see there is a new service pack for it now (5a).

Thanks & Regards

Stupid question have you tested the tank's resistance with a tab or something similar?
I found that most of the none DNA's (cuboid, kooper etc) reads a sligthly higher resistance then the dna's
Also which wire profile are you using? The SS316 that comes with the devices are generally bad.

Stupid question have you tested the tank's resistance with a tab or something similar?
I found that most of the none DNA's (cuboid, kooper etc) reads a sligthly higher resistance then the dna's
Also which wire profile are you using? The SS316 that comes with the devices are generally bad.

@Nosvarato, Compared to three of my other non DNA devices and found the same as you stated. Using UD SS316L and tried on various tanks and resistances. Found the difference being about 10% lower on the DNA.

If the a lower reading on the DNA is common and not a defect specific to my device, is the need to vape at a higher temperature than other mods also normal? On my other devices I run at about 210C but for a similar vape on the DNA I need to run at about 270C.

Regards

@Nosvarato, Compared to three of my other non DNA devices and found the same as you stated. Using UD SS316L and tried on various tanks and resistances. Found the difference being about 10% lower on the DNA.

If the a lower reading on the DNA is common and not a defect specific to my device, is the need to vape at a higher temperature than other mods also normal? On my other devices I run at about 210C but for a similar vape on the DNA I need to run at about 270C.

Regards
I'm mainly on Titanium, just because I can't get the SS profiles to perform consistently. But yes you need to vape at a higher temp, for me it's generally 220C on none DNA versus 250ish on the DNA's.

You might also want to check out DJLSB Vapes site (http://www.djlsbvapes.com/dna200/), I'm using his tweaked wire profiles, which seems more consistant the steam-engine's

I'm mainly on Titanium, just because I can't get the SS profiles to perform consistently. But yes you need to vape at a higher temp, for me it's generally 220C on none DNA versus 250ish on the DNA's.

You might also want to check out DJLSB Vapes site (http://www.djlsbvapes.com/dna200/), I'm using his tweaked wire profiles, which seems more consistant the steam-engine's

Thanks Nos, will do so right away. Appreciate the advice.

Regards

The bee in my bonnet has had me researching all over. Lots of information around and one particular post right here on our forum is standing out as particularly helpful.

http://www.ecigssa.co.za/guide-to-fine-tuning-temp-control-vaping.t18206/

I quote from the above post and hope @Ezekiel does not mind me quoting from his very informative and well written post which will be my goto reference for all TC related question from now on.

"SS does have a few issues when it comes to TC, however. Firstly, and most importantly, it has a very low TCR value - which means that SS coil resistances changes very little when heated in comparison to Nickel (~ 10 times less) or Titanium (~ 5 times less). These smaller changes in resistance becomes more difficult for your mod to read, which means its TC accuracy is quite low. Practically speaking, you might often encounter a very observable drop, or fluctuation, in your vape when it nears the temp limit. With tweaking (either of your TCR or TFR if you have escribe) you can alleviate these effects somewhat, but it generally is (for me at least) never as good as Ni or Ti. Secondly, as I’ve already mentioned, the quality and physical properties of SS wires differs greatly from alloy to alloy and manufacturer to manufacturer - which means that SS often times requires more initial playing around with the TC settings to get right. Lastly, because of the low TCR, you cannot generally use SS as a ‘temp-sensing’ wire in more complicated builds, and mixed with other TC wires it generally just messes up your TC."

This information combined with the general trend of the above replies do point towards lack of user experience more than mod error being the root cause of my concerns.

Now just to convince myself of this.

Regards

The bee in my bonnet has had me researching all over. Lots of information around and one particular post right here on our forum is standing out as particularly helpful.

http://www.ecigssa.co.za/guide-to-fine-tuning-temp-control-vaping.t18206/

I quote from the above post and hope @Ezekiel does not mind me quoting from his very informative and well written post which will be my goto reference for all TC related question from now on.

"SS does have a few issues when it comes to TC, however. Firstly, and most importantly, it has a very low TCR value - which means that SS coil resistances changes very little when heated in comparison to Nickel (~ 10 times less) or Titanium (~ 5 times less). These smaller changes in resistance becomes more difficult for your mod to read, which means its TC accuracy is quite low. Practically speaking, you might often encounter a very observable drop, or fluctuation, in your vape when it nears the temp limit. With tweaking (either of your TCR or TFR if you have escribe) you can alleviate these effects somewhat, but it generally is (for me at least) never as good as Ni or Ti. Secondly, as I’ve already mentioned, the quality and physical properties of SS wires differs greatly from alloy to alloy and manufacturer to manufacturer - which means that SS often times requires more initial playing around with the TC settings to get right. Lastly, because of the low TCR, you cannot generally use SS as a ‘temp-sensing’ wire in more complicated builds, and mixed with other TC wires it generally just messes up your TC."

This information combined with the general trend of the above replies do point towards lack of user experience more than mod error being the root cause of my concerns.

Now just to convince myself of this.

Regards
@Raindance i find im spending more time trying to find my happy spot relative to vape time..wondering if this tc thing is worth the effort

@Raindance i find im spending more time trying to find my happy spot relative to vape time..wondering if this tc thing is worth the effort
@incredible_hullk, Depends on what you expect from the TC function. At the end of part 1 of the quoted post, three styles of TC vaping are elaborated on. My personal reason for running TC is the avoidance of dry hits. In this case setup is rather straight forward and the setup does not need to be fine tuned with incredible attention to detail and tolerances. Basically it is what you would run in power mode with a temp cut off as safety net. If you have not yet, just give the section of TC vaping styles a quick read. Hope you find it as eye opening as I did.

Regards

@incredible_hullk, Depends on what you expect from the TC function. At the end of part 1 of the quoted post, three styles of TC vaping are elaborated on. My personal reason for running TC is the avoidance of dry hits. In this case setup is rather straight forward and the setup does not need to be fine tuned with incredible attention to detail and tolerances. Basically it is what you would run in power mode with a temp cut off as safety net. If you have not yet, just give the section of TC vaping styles a quick read. Hope you find it as eye opening as I did.

Regards
thx @Raindance ..read it last night and helped a stack...with stuff like kanthal and ni80 u clueless tc is tough going but im running it for same dry hit and flavour consistency properties and working well

So got my Therion 166 today and at last have a means of comparing. From what little i have experimented, indications are that its functioning in terms of resistance measurement and the need to vape at a higher temperature in tc mode are the same as the Skar. Will need to play a bit more to be totally sure. From the above it seems I have been making some errors in the way I have been vaping in tc, and I may need to unlearn some bad habbits to get the most out of these mods. The vape on the Therion is awesome though.

Regards

Testing done.

"The evidence before the court is incontrovertible, there is no need for the jury to retire...."

Comparison between Therion DNA166 and Hohm Slice FSK:
SM25 Ohms: DNA = 0.57, FSK = 0.63
Ijoy Limitless RDTA: DNA = 0.41, FSK = 0.45

Vaped both tanks on both mods at 215Deg C at 40W. DNA gives a cooler vape with a noticeable difference on the SM25 where at that setting it makes a gurgling sound on the FSK.
At this setting both the mods provide a decent vape.
The SM25 clearly outdoes the LMTLS RDTA on flavor on both mods. (Just a side note.)

To replicate the SM25 FSK vapng experience on the DNA, temperature setting had to be increased to 250Deg C.

Conclusions:
On the balance of probability considering the evidence and comments documented here, the DNA75 mod in question is most probably not malfunctioning but displaying the normal functioning and characteristics as intended by the manufacturer.

Recommendations:
1. If the FSK experience needs to be replicated on the DNA, adjust material profiles to suit.
2. Eat humble pie and apologize for arguing a point now proven incorrect.
3. Retrieve DNA75 and verify results and recommendations.

"And that is all I have to say about that".

Regards

It has been a while since my last post on this topic and being Sunday evening and I'm trying to postpone Monday as much as possible, here goes.

Received the mod back end December and followed the advice received above. Also obtained a Therion 166 in the mean time and both devices have become part of my daily rotation alongside a Hohm Slice.

In conclusion, I have not messed around with any FSK curves or any specific settings. Instead I "learned" to build coils specifically for these mods and not to compare or try to apply my experience with other mods to the DNA's. After my initial concerns and disappointment and resultant over reaction, I am now completely in love with this mod and a truly happy vaper.

I must mention my appreciation to @BigGuy and @Sir Vape for the patience and support they provided during the initial part of my DNA learning curve. You guys rock!

Regards

Back