Drills for coilbuilding

Just a bit of useless info, i got the 18 volt instead of a 12 volt, and i can use the 18 volt for about two to three weeks before charging the battery, so i would go for the 18 volt.

Check at build It hardware, they should go for about R1300, and it has a carry case

Just a bit of useless info, i got the 18 volt instead of a 12 volt, and i can use the 18 volt for about two to three weeks before charging the battery, so i would go for the 18 volt.

Check at build It hardware, they should go for about R1300, and it has a carry case
R1300 VS R450 :D

Hi all,

I'm busy looking for a new cordless drill purely for building coils (wrapping Claptons and all that).

Do you guys have any specific preference or do you just use what you have?

I've been looking at the 12v Ryobi for about R400. I don't really want to spend much more because I will only use it for coil builds.
If you intend using it just for coiling I'd get the cheapest on sale

I have some 28g kanthal that I'd like to twist.

Is there perhaps a tutorial on how to do it? I have a drill and all.

Sorry for the noob question

:OKAYTHEN:

@Ohmen No such thing as a stupid noob question. We all had to learn somewhere.

Twisting kanthal is very easy with a drill. First check out Rip Trippers vid on how to straighten kanthal with your drill. Also very easy.

When you have 2 strands of straightened kanthal, put one end of both strands in the drills chuck, grab the other ends in a pair of pliers and give your drill a spin. You'll see the 2 strands starting to twist and then stop your drill when you get the desired effect. Personally I like a tight twist, but you might like a looser twist. Just don't twist it too tight as the stresses on the metal might cause it to break when you wrap the coil.

Happy twisting!

RIP's facial expressions are priceless, I enjoy his videos :rofl:

Can't wait to get home and try this. It's so easy

#alex For a tool junkie like myself, owning a DeWalt is like the holy grail of power tools. I am drooling

Sent from my mind

I've found using something like a split pin works wonders for twisting kanthal, especially the thinner gauges

Back