Drip tips - do they make a difference to your experience?

AlphaDog

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
I've only ever used the default drip tips that came with my tanks/drippers. I started wondering whether "exotic" tips improve things? Most of my tanks are 510 compatible - so which tips would you recommend?

The Hands Drip Tips are definitely more comfortable and look much better than the stock drip tips. With exotic tips such as the Hands Drip Tips, you can find one that matches your setup perfectly.

I never use a standard drip tip EVER! @hands and some of the international drip tip makers tips are way better!

I find that choosing a drip tip purely by looking at a pic on a website is a bit difficult. But yeah, I've seen the Hands tips and they do look awesome!

I doubt they improve things in the sense that they don't make a vast difference to flavour or anything like that. But they do look good and the build quality on some of them (especially @hands ' tips) is amazing. It's mostly there to accessorize :p Besides, it's always nice having a matching colour scheme.

First rule for drip tips is: Stay away from metal ones - they're just awful lip gunk magnets

@hands drip tips ftw for me...

I've read some forums where people say pyrex drip tips have a cleaner flavour. Never owned one though

I've read some forums where people say pyrex drip tips have a cleaner flavour. Never owned one though
Ja, and the internet is full of infinite wisdom... :bash:

There is something to be said for various materials or designs used for the manufacture of tips. Some are better insulators, some have better airflow for a specific type of vape etc. but unless you're using a tip made from an old tyre, the material will hardly affect flavour imo.

Last edited:
Ja, and the internet is full of infinite wisdom... :bash:

There is something to be said for various materials or designs used for the manufacture of tips. Some are better insulators, some have better airflow for a specific type of vape etc. but unless you're using a tip made from an old tyre, the material will hardly affect flavour imo.
Now I can't help but wonder how a tip made from old tyre would taste.
@hands - get on it!

I've only ever used the default drip tips that came with my tanks/drippers. I started wondering whether "exotic" tips improve things? Most of my tanks are 510 compatible - so which tips would you recommend?
Beauty and comfort are the boons to your vapeing experience however they won't improve flavor.IMO

Beauty and comfort are the boons to your vapeing experience however they won't improve flavor.IMO
Yup, that's pretty much spot on.
That being said - if the drip tip is weirdly long you are sortof extending the chimney length, which is not really a good idea for flavour. Putting a 50mm drip tip onto an RDA for instance is going to be messy if you're used to chuff caps, for instance.
But there are perfectly legitimate instances where a long drip tip on an RDA etc works nicely. It sort of concentrates the vapour and can make it warmer.

Yup, that's pretty much spot on.
That being said - if the drip tip is weirdly long you are sortof extending the chimney length, which is not really a good idea for flavour. Putting a 50mm drip tip onto an RDA for instance is going to be messy.
Not to mention it would look WHACK!!

Imo it's more a feel good exercise. It's like when I was a student and i got mags for my first car, the origenal rims did the job perfectly but mags give the car new life. I love getting new drip tips for all my rda/rta's and playing the matchy matchy game.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi @AlphaDog
You are asking a great question!
Thanks for the thread

I have quite a lot of views, opinions and observations of my own vaping gear on this topic
Will try put my thoughts down and share

Bottom line, the drip tip does make a difference to the vape experience but i observed things i didnt think i would.

Am running out now but will try post more details later or tmrw

It may be all in my mind but I most certainly believe different drip tips on different device do indeed enhance the flavour. But it may just be the comfort angle that seems to enhance the flavour for me. I just don't do metal drip tips...

To sum up what others have said and my 2c

Metal - gets hot and lip gunk magnet
Glass - gets hot fast and is fragile
Delrin - no issues, looks plain
Teflon - soft on the mouth/teeth, nice for driving/on the move
Acrylic - no issues, colour options,harder than delrin

A shorter driptip should increase flavour

A wider driptip should increase airflow (if its not restricted/choked)

Shape is mostly for comfort

A driptip with "adjustable airflow" just mutes flavour

Peace

I find the internal shape of the air channel inside a driptip does impact on taste. Probably not due to changing the nature of the vape, but rather how the vapor gets distributed over ones tongue as it enters. A narrow channel concentrating the vape more on one particular spot than the funnel shaped ones which disperse it more.

As for material, the lip feel does seem to enhance the mouth feel of the vape although that's probably all in my head. I tend to agree with @Scissorhands in terms of the material issue there.

I hate lip-gunk and for that reason alone stick with Delrin ones. I was wondering, do the @hands driptips collect gunk or not?

Regards

I only have three requirements for a drip tip:
1) Black delrin please
2) 510 please, I can't do chuff caps
2) It must be long enough that my lips don't touch the atty. If I see a dripper with a 2mm tall 810 drip tip, I cross it off the list immediately. A drip tip should have roughly the same profile as a cigarette filter imo, gambling chips don't cut it.

Getting a flashy tip isn't going to make a jot of difference to the flavour.
Looks? Sure.
Comfort? Yeah, okay.
Flavour? No way.

I find the internal shape of the air channel inside a driptip does impact on taste. Probably not due to changing the nature of the vape, but rather how the vapor gets distributed over ones tongue as it enters. A narrow channel concentrating the vape more on one particular spot than the funnel shaped ones which disperse it more.

As for material, the lip feel does seem to enhance the mouth feel of the vape although that's probably all in my head. I tend to agree with @Scissorhands in terms of the material issue there.

I hate lip-gunk and for that reason alone stick with Delrin ones. I was wondering, do the @hands driptips collect gunk or not?

Regards
You are definitely on to something regarding the internal shape

I find a linear/parallel shape focuses vapor/heat on the same place , making that spot sensitive (cooked) over time, where a cone/funnel shape seems to defuse the vapor path, distributing heat

To my pallet the flavour difference is too marginal to comment on though

Zamplebox has this interesting article
https://www.zamplebox.com/community/funstuff/283/how-drip-tips-affect-vape-flavors
Tongue.jpg

The taste map of the tongue is wrong and has been totally disproved. Flavours are actually perceived by neurons in the brain.

• Scientists at Columbia University say the brain not tongue decides taste
  • They say our thousands of taste buds can all detect different flavours
  • These are salty, bitter, sour, sweet and savoury
  • But they send signals to the brain which interprets them into flavours
  • Findings put to bed the myth that our tongues have a 'taste map'

The above information was provided by Dr Steven D Munger who is Associate Director, Center for Smell and Taste; Professor of Pharmacology and Therapeutics at the University of Florida.

mapimages.jpg

I wonder what else we believe in which proves to be incorrect.

I often change the drip tip to tweak the airflow a bit. So say in a dripper where you have an option of 3 holes to set the airflow (think Goon), where I would prefer to be between 2 and 1 hole open with a specific build, I would change to a tip with a smaller bore and leave the airflow on 2 holes. This way I seem to find the sweet spot. Might be weird but it works for me.

Am going to start off my drip tip observations with a photo...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1499626531.487729.jpg

This is my beloved Lemo1. It is a major vape workhorse especially while I work at the computer. Long restricted lung hits. It only serves one juice. A VM Strawberry plus menthol concentrate blend. It is a strong menthol. About 12 Watts. Simple single 1.2 ohm coil. Its glorious. Has been in daily operation for about 2 years.

The thing about this tank is that the flavour is incredible. For me at least. Its sharp, crystal clear and yields a menthol burn like no other I have tried. And it has a very unusual drip tip. Long, thinnish, metal. The metal doesnt get hot because its a cool low power vape. But there is something magical about this drip tip. I have tried many other shapes and sizes on this to see and they all either dilute the flavour slightly or reduce the menthol burn. This is the stock tip for this tank and the manufacturers got it spot on - maybe for fruity menthols - for my taste. I have tried so many tips on this setup but always come back to this one. Not sure exactly why it works so well for me, but it does. Maybe its the shape or the length. Who knows. But it makes a big difference.

And this tip doesnt do so well on other setups!

Moving on to the Reo/RM2 - i use these delrin tips that are fractionally shorter than the stock ones that Reosmods sells. They are incredible for my tobaccoes. Metal gets a bit too hot, but these delrin ones with their concave shape make the flavour more intense. Have tried stubbier simpler tips and bigger bore tips but they dont work nearly as well. I have two Hands tips, but mine have the metal tube that goes up to the top (on the inside) which i find gets a bit hot on my lips. I often put my lips on the tip instead of over it, so thats my style which is letting me down.

With the Subtank Mini, i also find that its stock tip is best. I also vape fruity menthols in there at lowish power, so its not hot. The metal is fine. If I put the longer Lemo1 tip on the Subtank Mini it does increase sharpness slightly, but i feel the wider bore subtank mini tip is better suited to the slightly higher airflow on it. (Than the Lemo1) Non metal tips on it just dont feel right.

The stock tip on the OL16 (that white one) works very well. My only complaint is that its a tad too short so my mouth tends to touch the atty a bit. Something @RichJB alluded to about touching the atty and I agree with his view. I dont like that. But i have tried a few others and they dont taste as good on there.

The Avo24 needs a slightly longer tip too for the same reasons. Gets a bit too hot when taking longer pulls.

The Petri V2 RDA tip is awesome. Its the right feel and the right bore (i have the normal petri not the cloud cap). But it does get a bit hot on longer pulls so i think it needs to be a bit longer or be made out of something that insulates against heat a bit better.

On the Nuppin, my favourite tip by a country mile is the "router style" tip found on the Odin. The shape of that tip somehow makes for better flavour on the Nuppin than other tips I have tried.

I do think that the drip tip is often overlooked and is a very important part of the overall vape experience.

There are many factors that contribute to the perfect drip tip
  • Comfort on the mouth
  • The right bore for the airflow in question
  • Adequate heat insulation depending on the power of the setup you are using
  • The shape of the tip does seem to influence flavour - likely an aerodynamic thing
But, my experiences lead me to conclude (for me) that there is no one perfect tip for all setups. Each setup I think has a potentially ideal type of tip and it has to also meet ones preferences. The juice in question I think also plays a role. Tobaccoes need something different to icy menthols for me.

The search for the ideal drip tip for each of my setups is ongoing. I have it sorted for the Lemo1, Subtank Mini (both stock) and for the RM2 and Nuppin. But for several other devices I still have some work to do!

Last edited:
Back