Giggles

So if you braked you skipped to the next song or something??

One of my relatives had one of these installed in their car in the mid sixties ... I remember being fascinated with it, and think it was a Philips unit?
I don't recall it skipping grooves, however the skepticism above prompted some further investigation, which revealed that they were available in the US in the 50's, and that not only were they fairly reliable, but that they didn't jump grooves when traversing bumpy roads, cornering and or braking, however ... the compensating arm weight apparently wore out the records fairly quickly.
Check this out https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/555840/highway-hi-fi-chrysler-car-record-player

Edit: ... It was a Philips :D

Last edited:
One of my relatives had one of these installed in their car in the mid sixties ... I remember being fascinated with it, and think it was a Philips unit?
I don't recall it skipping grooves, however the skepticism above prompted some further investigation, which revealed that they were available in the US in the 50's, and that not only were they fairly reliable, but that they didn't jump grooves when traversing bumpy roads, cornering and or braking, however ... the compensating arm weight apparently wore out the records fairly quickly.
Check this out https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/555840/highway-hi-fi-chrysler-car-record-player
I was thinking along those lines as well that if they did not compensate with a heavier arm then it would skip a lot, but then that the heavier arm would cause major record longevity issues.

I always got moerd twice because I can't touch my feet like that:facepalm:

Them teachers of the day looked for any blimming excuse to give us a few more "flaps" as we called them, (I rate the whole lot of them back in ye day had sadistic streaks) ... I had one teacher who used a flippen cricket bat as his 'cane' of choice, and we had to put our heads under his desk, so our upwards 'flinch' gave us a head smack as part of the deal :facepalm:

Them teachers of the day looked for any blimming excuse to give us a few more "flaps" as we called them, (I rate the whole lot of them back in ye day had sadistic streaks) ... I had one teacher who used a flippen cricket bat as his 'cane' of choice, and we had to put our heads under his desk, so our upwards 'flinch' gave us a head smack as part of the deal :facepalm:

We kept count of the "flaps" as you call it, we got in a year. It was a status symbol. I reached an extremely high status ;)
I think my count was the highest in the school at the time. Proud of it. Still am.

We kept count of the "flaps" as you call it, we got in a year. It was a status symbol. I reached an extremely high status ;)
I think my count was the highest in the school at the time. Proud of it. Still am.

I didn't know what to select for your post :rofl: ... I like it, I agree and relate to it, and it's funny ... We need more emoticons dammit :giggle:

It certainly wasn't very funny at the time tho' :eek:

View attachment 250375

Our principal was friends with my mom, so whenever I ended up getting a few "flaps" by him, he would phone my mom and tell her about it. Which just meant that when she got home I had to stand for round number two, on top of his lines... and at over 6 feet tall he gave us a pretty good "flapping"... my mother just rounded the day off with "The Flappening"...

I rate the whole lot of them back in ye day had sadistic streaks
Our vice principal was one of those. He loved seeing the pain in your face as he inflicted 'flaps'. One day I refused to give in to his sadistic streak and instead of getting 3 'flaps' like the rest, he kept on going and I just stood there. I probably should not have asked if he's finished after he gave me the 6th one, but I did, and got two more and still didn't flinch. Look, the old b@st@rd could swing a rod so it took everything I had in me not to flinch, but it paid off as the next time I was sent to him, he just chased me out and told me not to do whatever it was I did again.

Then we had another teacher who would take us to the woodworking class as there was a back office there. I would always volunteer to go in first and then as I step in I'd start talking about the weekend's rugby - a sport he was very enthusiastic about - and then we'd end off talking for about 5-10 minutes and he'd then send us all back to the class without any flaps being given. Alas, there were days when I'd walk in and he'd just say 'shut up' and then I knew... eina.

Our vice principal was one of those. He loved seeing the pain in your face as he inflicted 'flaps'. One day I refused to give in to his sadistic streak and instead of getting 3 'flaps' like the rest, he kept on going and I just stood there. I probably should not have asked if he's finished after he gave me the 6th one, but I did, and got two more and still didn't flinch. Look, the old b@st@rd could swing a rod so it took everything I had in me not to flinch, but it paid off as the next time I was sent to him, he just chased me out and told me not to do whatever it was I did again.

Then we had another teacher who would take us to the woodworking class as there was a back office there. I would always volunteer to go in first and then as I step in I'd start talking about the weekend's rugby - a sport he was very enthusiastic about - and then we'd end off talking for about 5-10 minutes and he'd then send us all back to the class without any flaps being given. Alas, there were days when I'd walk in and he'd just say 'shut up' and then I knew... eina.

I'm sorry ... that's funny only because I relate fully ... We had far to many sadistic @#$%-holes at Maritzburg College, resulting in a small business establishment by Standard 8, where I'd cut up old car tubes and make "flap pads", which minimised said "glute carnage". A car tubes curvature matched our backsides rather well, and with enough smallish holes made with a leather belt hole punch, it wouldn't sound untoward, and would shield / dissipate probably 90%? of the force :pesas:

Back