Griffin RTA by Geek Vape

@Rob Fisher, I JUST got my Griffin and stripped one of the grub screws immediately, since they come locked in and the allen key is apparently horrible. Couldn't even build on it! :-(

Any advice on getting the stupid screw out? I've already tried all the tricks on the interwebs. If all else fails I'll take it back and let @JakesSA have a crack at it.
You can also try heating the post up with a small torch. The expansion the metal might cause the screw to come out a little easier.

What I've also done on my RC cars with small stripped allen bolts is to cut a slot in the top of the bolt with a dremel and used a flat screw driver to take it out. Dont know if this is an option for you.

@Rob Fisher, I JUST got my Griffin and stripped one of the grub screws immediately, since they come locked in and the allen key is apparently horrible. Couldn't even build on it! :-(

Any advice on getting the stupid screw out? I've already tried all the tricks on the interwebs. If all else fails I'll take it back and let @JakesSA have a crack at it.
Have you tried the elastic band on top and squeezing the Allen key into the hole with the elastic band.

@Christos, thanks, i did. The allen key kept poking through the band. No luck.

@capetocuba, I think it was too far gone, couldn't get anything in between the screw and the post, and it's entirely stripped now. :(

@GreenyZA I don't have a dremel, and it's more than flush, but i just took it to my local jeweller (who suggested that I run instead of vape :notagain:), thinking that he might be able to engrave some slots. It's too small, even for him! He did confirm that it is round and smooth as a baby's bum inside, and doesn't own any tools in the right size to help me.
I'll have to get someone to drill it. What a f :-@ shlep.

Thanks anyway everyone!!

@capetocuba, I think it was too far gone, couldn't get anything in between the screw and the post, and it's entirely stripped now. :(

@GreenyZA I don't have a dremel, and it's more than flush, but i just took it to my local jeweller (who suggested that I run instead of vape :notagain:), thinking that he might be able to engrave some slots. It's too small, even for him! He did confirm that it is round and smooth as a baby's bum inside, and doesn't own any tools in the right size to help me.

Thanks anyway everyone!!
The only other thing I can suggest is dipping the end of the allen key in quickset steel and sticking it in the hole. Then leave it overnight and give it a quick jerk in the morning. It might work. It might not.

I still like the Griffin more than the Gemini. Gemininwas supposed to be a Griffin killer but... not quite. It is a monster. Like @Rob Fisher said it is a HOT tank though. If that isnt your thing stay away. It is a little cloud furnace for sure.

Thanks anyway everyone!!
Sorry to hear that, only thing is to return item. Bummer is waiting to get new atty making clouds :)

I still like the Griffin more than the Gemini. Gemininwas supposed to be a Griffin killer but... not quite. It is a monster. Like @Rob Fisher said it is a HOT tank though. If that isnt your thing stay away. It is a little cloud furnace for sure.

Nope I said the Defiant was hot... the Gemini rocks... both the RDA and cCell version.

Nope I said the Defiant was hot... the Gemini rocks... both the RDA and cCell version.
I was referring to the Griffin not Gemini apologies for not being more clear... Gemini is indeed a killer tank I agree, will be exploring more Vaporesso gear most certainly. But I LOVE me a hot vape like the Griffin, Defiant sounds up my alley. Gemini is my breakfast tank, Griffin around lunch and the evenings are owned by the Tsunami right now.

These atties are all THIRSTY though wowowow...

I think this 3 sided screwdriver came with my Sapor RDA, it's very useful for most build decks. I also had issues with the Griffin and the allen key that is included in the kit is quite weak. This tool has a nice grip and I find getting a bit of ejuice around the screw and gently unscrewing especially the first time prevents any damage and after that it works fine. I have damaged a few deck screw threads especially when forcing it loose the first time, so far doing it this way has been working.. screwdriver.jpeg

Bring 'em in @Jerakeen, we'll get it sorted out double quick.

Cash crusaders (of all people) has a very nice screw driver with interchangeable bits which includes a lot of different small size allen key bits for about R100. Its my weapon of choice for these grub screws.

Hopefully one of the technical types will have a suggestion for you... when that happens to me the tank gets thrown in the Giba Gorge! Sorry about that... I never kept my Griffin long either because mine was also a kak quality.
Agree, what is with that ?

I was referring to the Griffin not Gemini apologies for not being more clear... Gemini is indeed a killer tank I agree, will be exploring more Vaporesso gear most certainly. But I LOVE me a hot vape like the Griffin, Defiant sounds up my alley. Gemini is my breakfast tank, Griffin around lunch and the evenings are owned by the Tsunami right now.

These atties are all THIRSTY though wowowow...
Hot and Wet :rofl::rofl::rofl:

So an update: Took the Griffin to @JakesSA who found that the tank ships to SA with the screws "locked into place". He replaced it for me toot sweet, thank you so much Jakes and Lindsay!

My point is -should anyone wish to purchase a Griffin in the future, 1. get the retailer to loosen those grubs right there and then, and 2. Replace the cruddy Allen key that comes with it. Size 1.3mm. 3. Enjoy your amaaaaazing vape!

So an update: Took the Griffin to @JakesSA who found that the tank ships to SA with the screws "locked into place". He replaced it for me toot sweet, thank you so much Jakes and Lindsay!

My point is -should anyone wish to purchase a Griffin in the future, 1. get the retailer to loosen those grubs right there and then, and 2. Replace the cruddy Allen key that comes with it. Size 1.3mm. 3. Enjoy your amaaaaazing vape!
Cant beat the Griffin. No matter who tries how hard. Just cant beat the Griffy. Love mine to bits. Incredible tanks.

Back