Help With Eleaf Pico setup

huzidada

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Hey guys. Im Huzi.

Ive started vaping recently..3 weeks..to give up my smoking habit and so far Im doing really well having cut down from 30cigs a day to 7.

I have bought myself a Pico 4Ml 75W and have been using that and have been happy with it. I thought the flavour was allright but I enjoyed the size the most.

Now though, especially since I'm replacing my cigs with it, I find myself wanting a bit more flavour. My friend has the Smok V8 Stick with the big baby tank M2 coils and I must say I didnt realise how much more muted the taste was in the pico compared to the Smok.

In regards to flavour I was wonderimg what coils would guy recommend to give a better taste and what wattage is best ballparks to be in.
I have the .3ohm and .18ohm ECL coils and usually have had them around 35w to 45w but then again I have had no experience if this is the right wattage besides bit and bobs that I picked up on the net.

Also is there a better tank that could maybe get me more flavour than the Melo 3 is currently providing? Any help will be appreciated

Hey guys. Im Huzi.

Ive started vaping recently..3 weeks..to give up my smoking habit and so far Im doing really well having cut down from 30cigs a day to 7.

I have bought myself a Pico 4Ml 75W and have been using that and have been happy with it. I thought the flavour was allright but I enjoyed the size the most.

Now though, especially since I'm replacing my cigs with it, I find myself wanting a bit more flavour. My friend has the Smok V8 Stick with the big baby tank M2 coils and I must say I didnt realise how much more muted the taste was in the pico compared to the Smok.

In regards to flavour I was wonderimg what coils would guy recommend to give a better taste and what wattage is best ballparks to be in.
I have the .3ohm and .18ohm ECL coils and usually have had them around 35w to 45w but then again I have had no experience if this is the right wattage besides bit and bobs that I picked up on the net.

Also is there a better tank that could maybe get me more flavour than the Melo 3 is currently providing? Any help will be appreciated
I'm sampling the Smok Spirals Plus tank tomorrow probably (it'll fit on the Pico mod with only a little overhang), so will be able to give you some feedback after that. But apparently it has great flavour, according to some people on here as well as many YouTube reviewers.. so we shall see.

As for your current setup, your wattages are pretty close to what mine was. On the 0.3 ohm ECL coils I ran it at about 40W. The 0.18's I wasn't fond of, but I'd imagine 45-50W on them would be fine too. Remember though that while you're smoking, your taste buds won't pick up on the finer intricacies of the juices. Even after quitting smoking it takes months for them to recover. Granted, you already experience more flavour on the Smok V8 and yes, it will have more flavour due to the coil type and surface area.

You can pick up a Smok Baby Beast (or just the Baby) tank without the stick, but most Beast coils require high wattage and personally I'm not a fan of high-wattage vaping at all when it's not absolutely required. The Spirals Plus tank uses 0.6 ohm and 0.3 ohm coils and require between 20-45W, so that's more in my line - but your requirements may be different, of course.

Some things that'll help us to give more detailed recommendations:

1) Do you prefer a wide-open lung hit, or a more restricted lung hit?
2) Do you prefer flavour over clouds? How important are clouds to you?
3) What juices do you use currently? Or rather, what VG/PG ratios do they have?

Last edited:
It's the shitty coil that is used in the melo. Remove the cotton ring that covers the little vent holes. Since I removed that cotton wall the flavour has enhanced.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply @aktorsyl. Will be keen to hear your review of the Smok Spirals.
Please bare with me as Im new to a lot of this stuff and tried to read up as much as I could before asking questions but I can definitely answer your questions and maybe that will help me discover what I need for my needs.

I found myself taking pulls like smoker, short, and mouth to lung, but recently have started the more traditional to lung hit. If I could choose though Id prefer a not so direct hit. Im kinda in the middle of both.

Def flavour, clouds arent my thing, if I could see enough to substitute for cig smoke and get a nicotine hit Im happy.

Mostly 70/30. I like fruity flavours and thats it..anything else, desserts and beverages etc make me feel like I ate too much dessert.
XXX, Trinity and SNLV18 what Im rocking

It's the shitty coil that is used in the melo. Remove the cotton ring that covers the little vent holes. Since I removed that cotton wall the flavour has enhanced.

Thanks for sharing, could you please describe to me a bit better which cotton and how to remove if you dont mind.

Thanks for the reply @aktorsyl. Will be keen to hear your review of the Smok Spirals.
Please bare with me as Im new to a lot of this stuff and tried to read up as much as I could before asking questions but I can definitely answer your questions and maybe that will help me discover what I need for my needs.

I found myself taking pulls like smoker, short, and mouth to lung, but recently have started the more traditional to lung hit. If I could choose though Id prefer a not so direct hit. Im kinda in the middle of both.

Def flavour, clouds arent my thing, if I could see enough to substitute for cig smoke and get a nicotine hit Im happy.

Mostly 70/30. I like fruity flavours and thats it..anything else, desserts and beverages etc make me feel like I ate too much dessert.
XXX, Trinity and SNLV18 what Im rocking
You and I have pretty much identical vaping styles, then. I'll definitely let you know how the Spirals tank turns out - it might be a good option for you.
The Smok Beasts are more meant for clouds - that is not to say you can't get good flavour from them; you definitely can. But the coils I've tried on them.. eish. I had to turn the airflow almost all the way to the closed position.

Thanks for sharing, could you please describe to me a bit better which cotton and how to remove if you dont mind.
Or take a needle and poke holes in the wicking holes on the side of the coil (there should be 4 of them, if I remember correctly)

You and I have pretty much identical vaping styles, then. I'll definitely let you know how the Spirals tank turns out - it might be a good option for you.
The Smok Beasts are more meant for clouds - that is not to say you can't get good flavour from them; you definitely can. But the coils I've tried on them.. eish. I had to turn the airflow almost all the way to the closed position.

Hahaha thats true, Ive played with it for a while with both M2 coils and with an X4 coil. Its a guzzler and chucks clouds but the flavour is so much more apparent I feel. Can almost taste the description if that makes sense. And yes have to have it on a quarter or else I choke and cough one way!

On my Pico I feel some flavours that taste great in the Smok have a bit of a strange taste...Maybe cotton, maybe the metal end piece..On a side note, what is the typical lifespan of a stock coil?

In regards to poking holes in the coil, will it not make the tank leak?

Im keen to give the one .5ohm coil a try otherwise I have the .18 replacements and from a few opinions I heard they suck

It requires a complete strip down on the coil to remove the wall.

Pop off the positive pin.
Remove the silicon grommet
Remove splash guard
And push out the wire and cotton

Once it's all out you will notice the cotton wall it's blocking the 4 holes. I used a wire hook and pulled the cotton out from the top. I wrapped and wicked a new coil popped it all back together.

With the four exposed holes I packed the tiniest amount of cotton into them just in case of flooding. It's never flooded and it's tasting so much better. Still the better option would be to get a better tank

Maybe try ceramic or stainless steel coils. I started with the melo and struggled with flavour until I tried the ceramic coils. Maybe you should also try a menthol fruit flavour like Blackout from @Sickboy77

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hahaha thats true, Ive played with it for a while with both M2 coils and with an X4 coil. Its a guzzler and chucks clouds but the flavour is so much more apparent I feel. Can almost taste the description if that makes sense. And yes have to have it on a quarter or else I choke and cough one way!

On my Pico I feel some flavours that taste great in the Smok have a bit of a strange taste...Maybe cotton, maybe the metal end piece..On a side note, what is the typical lifespan of a stock coil?

In regards to poking holes in the coil, will it not make the tank leak?

Im keen to give the one .5ohm coil a try otherwise I have the .18 replacements and from a few opinions I heard they suck
Nah poking holes won't make it leak. Just don't make massive craters, pinpricks is all you need. I used to do 3 to 4 pricks per wicking hole or so. You can't actually see them once you're done. @Reeves ' method will also definitely yield good results, but I'm not sure if you want to try that yet? It's up to you, worst case scenario is you lose one coil. Me personally, I didn't really go to that trouble, but I probably should've tried it at some point :p

Lifespan on an EC coil depends on your vaping style and amount of liquid consumed, amount of sucralose in the liquid, etc. But on average they lasted me 1-2 weeks, usually closer to 2 weeks. Pretty good, actually.

The weird taste you're describing could be the cotton in those coils, yep. Doubt it's the coil wire, but just in case - compare the taste on the 0.3 (kanthal wire, I believe.. could also be nichrome, I'm unsure now) vs the 0.18 coil (which is stainless steel). If it's the same, then it's the cotton causing it.

It requires a complete strip down on the coil to remove the wall.

Pop off the positive pin.
Remove the silicon grommet
Remove splash guard
And push out the wire and cotton

Once it's all out you will notice the cotton wall it's blocking the 4 holes. I used a wire hook and pulled the cotton out from the top. I wrapped and wicked a new coil popped it all back together.

With the four exposed holes I packed the tiniest amount of cotton into them just in case of flooding. It's never flooded and it's tasting so much better. Still the better option would be to get a better tank

Hahaha you are dedicated sir but ah why not ...Ill give it a try on a spare coil just for "science sake". But will definitely look into a different tank

@Glytch will def give ceramics a try as well. Any recommendations on which ceramics to go for?

@aktorsyl definitely gonna wait on your take and maybe pictures of the Smok Spiral. Will also try out the method Reeves uses..You right im not that skilled in this department but will practice on a used coil first.

When it comes to choosing ohms...what would be best for me...Ive been subohming...The Pico on .3 and Smok also .25 and its not so bad...but what if I go up(yes up) a bit? Would it give me a slower hit so to say and does the ohms effect flavour?

Last edited:
Hahaha you are dedicated sir but ah why not ...Ill give it a try on a spare coil just for "science sake". But will definitely look into a different tank

@Glytch will def give ceramics a try as well. Any recommendations on which ceramics to go for?
You have motivated me to do my first tank review. I usually dont do reviews at all, but you're the second person now waiting for an opinion on the Spirals. Tomorrow night you shall have it (if the courier plays ball).

You have motivated me to do my first tank review. I usually dont do reviews at all, but you're the second person now waiting for an opinion on the Spirals. Tomorrow night you shall have it (if the courier plays ball).
Is it going to be a video review?
Is this going to be the very first episode of Wet Wicks and Dry Hits? :D

@aktorsyl definitely gonna wait on your take and maybe pictures of the Smok Spiral. Will also try out the method Reeves uses..You right im not that skilled in this department but will practice on a used coil first.

When it comes to choosing ohms...what would be best for me...Ive been subohming...The Pico on .3 and Smok also .25 and its not so bad...but what if I go up(yes up) a bit? Would it give me a slower hit so to say and does the ohms effect flavour?
Vaporesso. I previously used the 0.6 ohm coils. Note the airflow is slightly more restrictive on the ceramic coils. They do last much longer though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Heya,
I was in an identical boat to you 4 months ago and also started with the Pico, your experience is almost identical to mine.
The Melo tank and the coils are not great. I found the 0.18 ECL coils in temp mode the best compromise.
I fixed my problem by buying a 22mm rebuildable dripper with some custom coils. Night and day compared to the Melo Tank.
Rebuildables seem daunting at first, but are actually so easy and rewarding. Do it!
Flavours: Stick to fruity/menthol until you kick smokes 100%, you won't taste much on bakery/desserts until you do.
Also look into DIY juice making as it will save you a ton of money.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Guess the review will have to wait another day. The Courier Guy screwed up and sent the parcel to the other side of the country. ETA only tomorrow now.

@Glytch and @Andre thank you I will order a few of these and see how I prefer them.

@aktorsyl no problem bud theres no rush, and Im glad you inspired to do a review

@Eisenhorn I have these coils and think will test them out today being stainless. Any advice in temp mode? Do I just set it to Temp SS or do I have to play with M1 functions? Whats your recommended settings for temp etc that you use?

I am a bit daunted by rebuildables, especially since Im the type of guy that can change the turbo on a car but cant connect 2 speaker wires to each other to save his life :p

@Glytch and @Andre thank you I will order a few of these and see how I prefer them.

@aktorsyl no problem bud theres no rush, and Im glad you inspired to do a review

@Eisenhorn I have these coils and think will test them out today being stainless. Any advice in temp mode? Do I just set it to Temp SS or do I have to play with M1 functions? Whats your recommended settings for temp etc that you use?

I am a bit daunted by rebuildables, especially since Im the type of guy that can change the turbo on a car but cant connect 2 speaker wires to each other to save his life :p

Hello mate, just a quick welcome from a fellow Swazi vaper. Enjoy the forum, guys are fantastic here.

Hello mate, just a quick welcome from a fellow Swazi vaper. Enjoy the forum, guys are fantastic here.
Swazis in the house!! Hey Neale, thanks bro....Do we know each other maybe(yes Swaziland is that small:happy:)

Swazis in the house!! Hey Neale, thanks bro....Do we know each other maybe(yes Swaziland is that small:happy:)

Possibly mate, live on the farm at Malandelas, frequent the bar there often. Too often according to my wife. In UK for a little while, will be back Swazi side in around 3 weeks.

[/QUOTE] @Eisenhorn I have these coils and think will test them out today being stainless. Any advice in temp mode? Do I just set it to Temp SS or do I have to play with M1 functions? Whats your recommended settings for temp etc that you use?
[/QUOTE]

Just chuck it in SS Temp mode, set it to 60W (4 clicks), then vape at around 230~260°C
The vape isn't amazing, about the same as the 0.3 coils with a bit more airflow. However due to temp control you don't burn your cotton that easy and the coils last twice as long. I tended to get about a week out of the TC coils till they where gunked up vs a few days from the 0.3 coils (I did about 6~10ml a day through them).

Possibly mate, live on the farm at Malandelas, frequent the bar there often. Too often according to my wife. In UK for a little while, will be back Swazi side in around 3 weeks.
Oh sweet, Im in Manzini...Enjoy the Uk and safe trip back mate

[/QUOTE]

Just chuck it in SS Temp mode, set it to 60W (4 clicks), then vape at around 230~260°C
The vape isn't amazing, about the same as the 0.3 coils with a bit more airflow. However due to temp control you don't burn your cotton that easy and the coils last twice as long. I tended to get about a week out of the TC coils till they where gunked up vs a few days from the 0.3 coils (I did about 6~10ml a day through them).[/QUOTE]

Thanks bud will def give it a try and see how it feels.
Last night I put the .5ohm coil that came in box. Quite a difference in resistance between .3 and .5. Primed coil and let it sit in tank of fresh juice for around 45mins. Started vaping at 15W and slowly increased wattage in 5w after every 50 pulls just to get the coil to break in(am I mad for doing this?)
Anywhere from 15w to 45W the juice tasted like crap, but at around 55w to 60w the flavour comes through decently. Using Oupas XXX and the menthol in there definitely makes my nose run:) Coils rated from 30W to 100W so maybe if Im brave I might crack it up and test it till the devices 75W rating(tell me no if this is a bad idea)

Back