How noisy is your vape device?

How noisy is your vape device?

• Total voters
Slightly off topic but worth a smile...myself and a mate were trying to remove a snouted cobra from my garden last week, and while my mate was inspecting the hole snakey was down I took a toot on my sub box mini and my mate spun round with a look of terror in his eyes as he thought the cobra was right behind him...

Slightly off topic but worth a smile...myself and a mate were trying to remove a snouted cobra from my garden last week, and while my mate was inspecting the hole snakey was down I took a toot on my sub box mini and my mate spun round with a look of terror in his eyes as he thought the cobra was right behind him...
This post made my day!

This (unscientific) study was performed with a Medusa RDTA @ 30W with dual 8 wrap NI80 26AWG ID 3mm. 0.4ohm.

Ambient noise this fine public holiday peaked at 48db... bloody Randy birds in the background.

20170501080840.png

Holding the microphone at arms length gave us a peak of 68db, apparently conversation level. Which is fair, because the Geekvape medusa should be a conversation piece.
20170501081025.png

Up close and personal, we peaked at 87db, like driving through rush out traffic with the windows closed.

20170501081105.png

I don't mind the gentle sound of a mellow vaporising taking place

But some devices are noisier than others and they can cause a bit of bother, especially when watching TV with the wife. Or when working and trying to concentrate - I like my silence :D

But how noisy are they?

In the name of Science and for a bit of fun I pulled out my iPad and checked the dB levels with my trusty decibel meter. Its an app for iOS called Decibel 10th. I see it has recently been renamed Decibel 10. Lovely app and has been working for ages.
  • I tested the decibels of no noise at home - 40dB
  • My Subtank Mini - 61dB - noisy little thing!
  • Kayfun V5 - 56dB - a lot quieter!
I have also included a poll - please answer it and leave your comments below. Better still, get the app and measure the dB readings for your vape gear. Lets see what those vicious tanks and drippers with vicious coils measure out at ;-)

Here is the step by step with my screenshots:

Ok, lets get a benchmark. No noise at home:
40dB

View attachment 92967

Now lets test the Subtank Mini at 12Watts. It is a bit noisy!
61dB !

View attachment 92968

Now lets test the Kayfun V5 at 10 Watts
56dB !

Told you it was quieter than the other devices. Great!

View attachment 92969

And I thought I had too much time on my hands @Silver! :lol:

Can see where it might be an issue for some folks though, so definitely a valid thread idea that could be interesting.

In dead quiet if I notice sound at all when vaping it's just a fire button that clicks, not always but sometimes air passing thru a noisier AFC design or on the rare occasions when joose bubbles up thru and onto the coils the snapping and popping as it boils away. Oh, and the cussing when I get vape mail that turns out to be pure junk that doesn't live up the BS hype.

I hear so little because I permanently lost my high frequency hearing in the mid 60's from constantly being around and flying Navy jets and turboprops during my military service. So all I hear is mid to lower freq's. That has came in handy at times. But it is mostly a PITA for many, many common, daily things. Socializing being one of them as I have a hard time with ladies higher pitched voices, voices with accents and sorting all voices out of background noise. I got along by leaning how to read lips if I could see them. As a nature lover who spent most of his life in the outdoors I still miss hearing song birds sing/chirp and many of the multitude of other sounds of nature. I haven't heard many of them for near 50 years. It slowly gets worse with age, so I am also loosing the mid ranges. I might be going deaf and blind, but I'm still kicking one day at a time for now.

Sorry about the hearing @Spydro
Reading your comments does put this all in perspective though

Since I made this thread, I have been paying a bit more attention to the noises that come out of the vape devices - and i will be more grateful that I can hear them now

This is such a big deal for me, if a tank / rda / rdta is slightly noisy then I would rather avoid buying it. I have also found that it depends on the build you put in the device - you can definitely lower your decibels depending on how you build.

Back