Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Every few weeks

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Every week

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • I change frequently - am testing new coils all the time

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters
I replace coils every second week and rewick every few day in my billows both running duel claptons
in my velocity i only replace the coils when I want to try something new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I re wick daily. When I'm close to my vape station I re wick every reo bottle fill.
Rebuilding varies but I generally rebuild on Saturdays and give the reo a wipe down and noalax and some tlc.

@Silver after seeing your parallel coil in the RM2 i just had to redo mine again , forgot how much i like it :)

I coil maybe once a month, now that i know what i like :)

View attachment 41349

My goodness @kimbo that's a really good looking coil! So neat. I bet it vapes great? What gauge you using there?

After removing the old cotton, I dry burn and blow off all the ash/crusts like everyone else, but on the last dry burn when the coil is glowing red hot, I give it a shot of water from a syringe, cools everything down faster and the coil looks almost new again. (maybe its the steam cleaning action, dunno)

After removing the old cotton, I dry burn and blow off all the ash/crusts like everyone else, but on the last dry burn when the coil is glowing red hot, I give it a shot of water from a syringe, cools everything down faster and the coil looks almost new again. (maybe its the steam cleaning action, dunno)

Thanks @blujeenz - thats clever, i have never tried that with a syringe.
I like that. Steamcleaning. Will try that next...

I just have to report back on something amazing with my Reo Black and the new paracoil I put in on Friday (as per my original post)

I have vaped about 4ml of the 5ml Reo Bottle and the Reo is still firing with a lot of vigour
That old coil i had in there was so tired that after about 2 ml the whole thing felt quite "tired"
I thought maybe its my oldish batteries or my Reo

Well I am glad to say that its none of the above. It was just the coil that needed replacing.

Note to self - replace coils more often ;-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450635972.228821.jpg

I just have to report back on something amazing with my Reo Black and the new paracoil I put in on Friday (as per my original post)

I have vaped about 4ml of the 5ml Reo Bottle and the Reo is still firing with a lot of vigour
That old coil i had in there was so tired that after about 2 ml the whole thing felt quite "tired"
I thought maybe its my oldish batteries or my Reo

Well I am glad to say that its none of the above. It was just the coil that needed replacing.

Note to self - replace coils more often ;-)

View attachment 41469
@Silver, I build a parallel coil in the Rm2 for the Reo Mini, and the vape is really great, now I want to replace my dual coil il the OL16 with a parallel coil and give it a shot.

@Silver, I build a parallel coil in the Rm2 for the Reo Mini, and the vape is really great, now I want to replace my dual coil il the OL16 with a parallel coil and give it a shot.

That OL16 phrase is haunting me - lol
Let us know how the paracoil compares to the dual

OK all this rebuilding talk made me build a new coil for my number one device... Avril with the Divo... if I'm not mistaken the coil is over 3-4 months old... changed it this morning and I hear what you guys are saying... like a new REO! :D

I promise to change coils more often now. :p

So I did it. A parallel SS316l in the OL16, 2mm diameter, 0,32ohm, some cotton bacon v2, new lg brown battery, some Metador. Ajust the atty to 2 mm for a nice MTL draw.... and.......just SUPER.DSC_0314.JPG

I forgot to mention. 28ga wire. The coil is not the neatest, but the vape is sure on of the best on my Grand......waiting for the P67.

Beyond just replacling coils for fun and interest, my reasons also stem from the logical properties of Kanthal.
I'm open to opinions on my reasoning too, it's how we learn things
Kanthal (Iron-Chromium-Aluminum) (learnt this because we manufacture heaters and wrap part of the element in kanthal) The safety concerns are two fold. Aluminum from what I've read, has a few unknown elements when heated but the bigger issue is the chrome content. With enough heat it can be transformed into it’s hexavalent (+6) oxide state, which is a known carcinogen. I have never measured the heat of a coil when glowing during pulsing (would be interesting) but I would imagine it to require you heating the coil to an orange and beyond state - an extremely hot state for an extended period of time to reach that hexavalent warning area.

Just due to the fact that I do pulse, and dry fire in my degunking process, I feel the rinse (possibly even soak in alcohol) does little to change the internal properties of the wire over its extended use - at all costs avoiding possible harmful chemicals. After all, that fresh taste of a new coil and wick, compared to an older re wick only build , must come from something.

I have vaping ADHD, sometimes I re-buid a single atty 3 times in a day. But when I build a good one I tend to stick with it for a week or two... sometimes
this was exactly me a while ago, I've gone through 120 metres of kanthal, ni200 and titanium combined. I really wish ni200 didn't brown up on the coil so quickly if it could have the same properties of ti but retain the nickel type vape that would be my perfect wire.

Nowadays I'm focusing my energy on creating eliquids instead of coil building.

If I find a good build I generally leave it in there for a month, obviously cleaning it every time i re-wick. I also clean with water to make sure no ash etc is on there and they look pretty newish after that. I've also noticed that each tank I have had always seems to have a different sweet spot in regards to the coil that gets put in them. Like in the Bellus dual claptons is waaaaay to hot for me and I settled on SS spaced in her. In the TFV4 mini the single clapton is just awesome. Point is the tank goes through numerous builds until I find her sweet spot (Yes, tanks are woman - Full of kak but if you treat her right and give her what she wants - absolute bliss).

Claptons. I did theese tonight because I thought than single coils were better. Then I thought maybe Claptons. So I rebuit 3times today20160105_212828.jpg

On the Kanthal I used to recoil every week. But I find on the Nickel, I'm having a dual coil in my Mutation Tank, and even after 5 full tanks and 2 rewicks, the coils still look brand new! so I don't see a need to recoil now.

Hi all

We tend to rewick quite often but how often do you rebuild your coils?

In the early days I would be rebuilding new coils all the time testing new resistances, diameters and positions. But now that I have found my happy place on most of my devices, I find myself leaving the coil in there for a long time. I also get a bit pushed for time and dont want to start fiddling if its working well.

Last night I changed the simple 1.2 ohm coil in my Lemo1. It's for strawberry menthol. The coil has been in there for about 2 or 3 months. Here is the old coil.

View attachment 41330

It was all black I couldn't easily count how many wraps were on there. And despite dry burning and me sometimes rinsing and trying to clean it, it stayed quite black and 'gunky'.

I made a new one - pretty much the same specs. Wasn't as neat as I had hoped.

View attachment 41331

Anyway, the point is that I was astounded at how amazing the vape was on the new coil. Crisp. Fresh tasting. Alive. Vivid in a sense. Sadly, I didnt notice the degradation in the old coil. I think it degrades very gradually.

I was so amazed that I decided to redo my paracoil in my thumper REO Black RM2 which was also looking rather blackened (this one uses tobacco juices and was in there for a long time also. Prob about 2 months)

Didn't get a pic of the old one but here is the new one. Not the neatest and a bit of a curve in the coil. Lol.

View attachment 41332

Same thing. It's as if the REO got an adrenalin injection. Vaporizing with such forceful vigour. It's MMM Ashybac in there and it's potent! Also cleaner tasting.

So either I need to figure out a better way of cleaning my long serving coils or I just need to rebuild them more often. But I am amazed and very happy at the moment.

PS - just to add, my coils are all Kanthal at this stage and I vape at lowish power. Not on temp control yet.
Thanks for an informative post with cool pics! I enjoyed. ....I am fascinated by this concept and will definitely take up this potential hobby. At the moment I am gleaning all the information I possibly can about building coils. I will buy my starter kit at the end of the month.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Thanks for an informative post with cool pics! I enjoyed. ....I am fascinated by this concept and will definitely take up this potential hobby. At the moment I am gleaning all the information I possibly can about building coils. I will buy my starter kit at the end of the month.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Only a pleasure @Waine
This vaping hobby is very fascinating indeed
Always something new and something to learn each day

Back