Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi all

We tend to rewick quite often but how often do you rebuild your coils?

In the early days I would be rebuilding new coils all the time testing new resistances, diameters and positions. But now that I have found my happy place on most of my devices, I find myself leaving the coil in there for a long time. I also get a bit pushed for time and dont want to start fiddling if its working well.

Last night I changed the simple 1.2 ohm coil in my Lemo1. It's for strawberry menthol. The coil has been in there for about 2 or 3 months. Here is the old coil.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450416215.201341.jpg

It was all black I couldn't easily count how many wraps were on there. And despite dry burning and me sometimes rinsing and trying to clean it, it stayed quite black and 'gunky'.

I made a new one - pretty much the same specs. Wasn't as neat as I had hoped.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450416320.575525.jpg

Anyway, the point is that I was astounded at how amazing the vape was on the new coil. Crisp. Fresh tasting. Alive. Vivid in a sense. Sadly, I didnt notice the degradation in the old coil. I think it degrades very gradually.

I was so amazed that I decided to redo my paracoil in my thumper REO Black RM2 which was also looking rather blackened (this one uses tobacco juices and was in there for a long time also. Prob about 2 months)

Didn't get a pic of the old one but here is the new one. Not the neatest and a bit of a curve in the coil. Lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450416534.342607.jpg

Same thing. It's as if the REO got an adrenalin injection. Vaporizing with such forceful vigour. It's MMM Ashybac in there and it's potent! Also cleaner tasting.

So either I need to figure out a better way of cleaning my long serving coils or I just need to rebuild them more often. But I am amazed and very happy at the moment.

PS - just to add, my coils are all Kanthal at this stage and I vape at lowish power. Not on temp control yet.

Last edited:
Have added a poll just to see what everyone thinks about this

I try to recoil every week or so. Once the flavour starts going i will rewick and recoil.
Its kinda weird, i dont really just rewick ever unless it is leaking or getting dry hits. I rewick and recoil at the same time.

Thats interesting @Heckers
Dedication!

I tend to go around 2 weeks on a coil if I'm sticking to same flavours. I burn it clean with every rewick though.

If I change juice flavours though I find I prefer to replace the coil as well. Taste profile seems better when I keep fruity stuff on one coil and dessert vapes on another. I am seriously looking at another tank now however. MY aromamizer works a charm but I can't get a nice warm vape on it for some reason - well ok the reason is my coiling is just not on par yet. And I still tend to over wick , even when I tell myself to use less I still overdo it.

The crown tank is great but I am sturggling badly with the RBA. I just cannot get my wicking right. I can take short puffs and have to wait about a minute in between to let it do its' thing, otherwise dry burns galore. So with stock coils - great.

Just can't decide on what to get yet - it will be more for my dessert vapes as the aromamizer is doing great on fruity vapes.

Hi @Nimatek
Great idea to have separate tanks/devices for the different types of juices
I tend to do the same.

Hi. I recoil, once I loose the sweet spot. I see when I vape tabacco juices, the coil tends to loose something? even after I dry burn a couple of times. Strange with the menthol or dessert vapes, I use the same coil for up to two months.

I find if I mix them on the same coil but with new wick, I still pick up hints of the old juice this way. It isn't a problem really but I am a stickler for these things and prefer my juice being what I bought and not the extras from a previous juice.

I rebuild and rewick (ceramic) around every 4 months. Dry burning of both coil and wick in between as frequently as the juice demands. My devices are also dedicated per juice category. Of course, real run time is dependent on how many devices are in use at the same time.

In my experience coils in drippers last much longer than coils in tanks. Maybe because in tanks the coil is permanently immersed in juice.

@Nimatek, consider a Goliath V2 - very forgiving in the wicking department. A somewhat complex put together, but once you get to know it - a breeze.

For the Ni-200 on the subtank mini, every few days when I rewick - no choice there.
Kanthal on the Billow v2 stays upwards of a month, even if I rewick every few days. Redoing the dual twisted 30G coils I have on there is an exercise I try to avoid or delay as long as possible.

Hi. I recoil, once I loose the sweet spot. I see when I vape tabacco juices, the coil tends to loose something? even after I dry burn a couple of times. Strange with the menthol or dessert vapes, I use the same coil for up to two months.

@Petrus, i notice the same thing - the tobaccoes are much more damaging.

The ones with NET flavours like Blackbird seem to leave a residue on the coil that goes whitish in colour after dry burning - then i take some cotton wick and wipe it off carefully.

One sees the damage on the wicks too. Sometimes after just 5ml through Koh Gen Do, the wick is literally shredded.

I think my tobacco devices need more frequent coiling from now on

Last edited:
I Rebuild coils every week and re wick twice in one week. I like things clean in my tanks. RDA's I re wick when required and recoil also when required.

While I change my wick everyday on BF Squonking Atties every day I recoil only every couple of months... but based on the info in this thread I think I may do some test recoils! Love this forum! :rock:

I have vaping ADHD, sometimes I re-buid a single atty 3 times in a day. But when I build a good one I tend to stick with it for a week or two... sometimes

While I change my wick everyday on BF Squonking Atties every day I recoil only every couple of months... but based on the info in this thread I think I may do some test recoils! Love this forum! :rock:

Giving you more work to do @Rob Fisher ;-) hehe

Actually, Rob, on the cyclone with Tropical Ice and considering @Andre's informative point about drippers versus tanks, you probably dont need to recoil very frequently - maybe only once a month i would imagine.

But what I would like you to do for Science if you can :
Find a Cyclone that hasnt been recoiled for ages. Take a closeup of the coil with wick removed and then recoil it and take another photo. Then vape it and tell us what you notice. You know that juice so damn well that you will pick up any difference if there is one.

I find building, the most interesting part of vaping...

I tend to rebuild every 3 or so days, generally alternating tanks and trying something new on them. With a coil jig, when sticking to simple coils, its as quick as 10 minutes to cut, wind, coil and wick... trying new tanks, takes a little longer obviously.

I rebuild and rewick coils every week, sometimes twice a week.
Coil building is very relaxing for me.

I rebuild and rewick (ceramic) around every 4 months. Dry burning of both coil and wick in between as frequently as the juice demands. My devices are also dedicated per juice category. Of course, real run time is dependent on how many devices are in use at the same time.

In my experience coils in drippers last much longer than coils in tanks. Maybe because in tanks the coil is permanently immersed in juice.

@Nimatek, consider a Goliath V2 - very forgiving in the wicking department. A somewhat complex put together, but once you get to know it - a breeze.

I actually looked at the Goliath about a month ago and was very tempted to grab one. Busy waiting to hear more from @Rob Fisher with regard to the Crius before I make my decision though. Or get both? :D

Thats interesting @Heckers
Dedication!
Nah, especially with the Crius isntalling coils are super easy and i also got one of those coil rollers so making a coil is super easy and comes out perfect every time :rock:

@Silver after seeing your parallel coil in the RM2 i just had to redo mine again , forgot how much i like it :)

I coil maybe once a month, now that i know what i like :)

DSC_0103.JPG

My 2c. Get the Crius! :rock:
Haha, yep! Pretty much the tank that comes closest to perfection i have come across.
Ok, i will try not to derail any further. There is a thread for which tanks to get.

Really base my rebuilds on the feedback on taste, if something feels mute or off, it's rebuild time!

My work drawer looks like I work in an industrial sector :WINKINGFACE::WINKINGFACE::WINKINGFACE:

Back