How to tell if your child is doing the "vapes" :P

I agree, minors should not be encouraged to take up vaping. Clearly, inhaling air is better. And it is true that the long terms effects of vaping is still being discovered, but were are now more than ten years down the line without any major adverse effects noted.

Minors are minors and they will do what they will do. I would rather have mine vape than smoke.

This article is wrong on many fronts. It makes as if vaping is as bad as smoking. That is patently untrue. It even encourages parents to sell that as gospel. What has happened to telling your children the truth - they are not stupid.

Nicotine by itself is not addictive - research on non-smokers have clearly shown that. There is no "craving more", to the contrary. Research so far has made it abundantly clear that vaping is not a "gateway drug".

The claims that vaping can trigger inflammation and has been linked to asthma, strokes, pneumonia, etcetera are flimsy at best and mostly based on in vitro studies. which are yet to be shown to be of any practical effect. Evidence of the beneficial effect of vaping on asthma and as a help for diabetics abound.

I agree, minors should not be encouraged to take up vaping. Clearly, inhaling air is better. And it is true that the long terms effects of vaping is still being discovered, but were are now more than ten years down the line without any major adverse effects noted.

Minors are minors and they will do what they will do. I would rather have mine vape than smoke.

This article is wrong on many fronts. It makes as if vaping is as bad as smoking. That is patently untrue. It even encourages parents to sell that as gospel. What has happened to telling your children the truth - they are not stupid.

Nicotine by itself is not addictive - research on non-smokers have clearly shown that. There is no "craving more", to the contrary. Research so far has made it abundantly clear that vaping is not a "gateway drug".

The claims that vaping can trigger inflammation and has been linked to asthma, strokes, pneumonia, etcetera are flimsy at best and mostly based on in vitro studies. which are yet to be shown to be of any practical effect. Evidence of the beneficial effect of vaping on asthma and as a help for diabetics abound.

@Andre, perhaps the context of why the article is written is more towards why I like the "harsh" perspective on Vaping and children. I do agree that distinction between vaping and smoking needs to be made, and that vaping is less harmful (at this point, evidence wise) than smoking is... However, when it comes to minors I feel that the media has the duty to discourage vaping among youths... I agree in telling people the truth, and based on current studies the truth would be that vaping is safer (assuming safe juices being used etc)... BUT again, it is easy to twist "it is better than smoking" instead of "doing neither".

Sure, the links of inflammation could be hogwash - But, personally have had some "throaty" experiences, with different juices that did not agree with me, and with some people extreme cases (without evidence to the specifics, it is hard to defend why that linking would be used).

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I do agree with your points :)

As a Biology teacher who major in Physiology i had my reserves concerning vaping and it took me 2 years of personal research (documentaries, discussions and articles) before i decided to start vaping. I found nothing negative about any of the individual ingredients in a zero nicotine juice including the reaction between them during vaping. I convey my findings with learners when asked since kids have the keen ability to see right through bs. Pointless starting to vape when you were/are not a smoker trying to quit. Common knowledge dictates that fresh air is better than any other form of vapour hence the fact we evolved to use air to sustain us at a optimum level.
But when i was informed by experts that all risk is downscaled by at least 95% when switching from smoking to vaping made it a no-brainer for me.
I have immense respect for my father-in-law who is a brilliant doctor and he switched from smoking to vaping as well....awesome gesture that i made the correct decision.
I even have no problem with kids vaping as long as they retain good manners, friendliness, respect for themselves and others, the desire to learn and capable of maintaining good moral standards.
And my 16 year old son..... academic top 10..... agrees whole heartedly with me. :)
Let the vaping commence.

As a Biology teacher who major in Physiology i had my reserves concerning vaping and it took me 2 years of personal research (documentaries, discussions and articles) before i decided to start vaping. I found nothing negative about any of the individual ingredients in a zero nicotine juice including the reaction between them during vaping. I convey my findings with learners when asked since kids have the keen ability to see right through bs. Pointless starting to vape when you were/are not a smoker trying to quit. Common knowledge dictates that fresh air is better than any other form of vapour hence the fact we evolved to use air to sustain us at a optimum level.
But when i was informed by experts that all risk is downscaled by at least 95% when switching from smoking to vaping made it a no-brainer for me.
I have immense respect for my father-in-law who is a brilliant doctor and he switched from smoking to vaping as well....awesome gesture that i made the correct decision.
I even have no problem with kids vaping as long as they retain good manners, friendliness, respect for themselves and others, the desire to learn and capable of maintaining good moral standards.
And my 16 year old son..... academic top 10..... agrees whole heartedly with me. :)
Let the vaping commence.

Thank you for your reply as well, our forum is a great place with all the knowledge that exists.

Before anything, I do not believe that vaping has an effect on intelligence - off the bat.

Parenting is something that everyone does a little differently, and I would not judge anyone else's methods :) You are entitled to let your son vape, and please do not think I have something against that. As stated above, Parenting is different - I know that had i still lived at home, the last thing i would be allowed to do was vape.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Back