Howto Squonk in The Dark - Fuss Free Atty

Christos

Reonaut
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
LV

Awards
I just wanted to know of its possible or plausible to squonk in the dark.
My issue is that the cyclone afc needs to be checked when squonking otherwise you get juice running out.

I'm interested in your thoughts on attys that may assist or ways to do this as I often drive at night and sqounking is a no no as I can't see what's going on.

My issue is that the cyclone afc needs to be checked when squonking otherwise you get juice running out.

I'm interested in your thoughts on attys that may assist or ways to do this as I often drive at night and sqounking is a no no as I can't see what's going on.

There is no way to check your atty in the dark while you are driving, unless you pull over.
You will definitely over squonk at times.

The best thing to do is have an atty with deep juice wells to use when driving. If I over squonk in that atty, then I eventually end up vaping it (in the dark) and don't get leaking. As soon as flavour diminishes, you just squonk again.

The Hastur V2 is deep-welled and pretty leak proof, but it does not suit MTL at all.

When I do over squonk, and it takes quite a bit, it gurgles because the juice is up by the coils, but still doesn't leak.

I have a rogue but it was a crap clone because it rusted.
Guess I'll have to stick to a regulated mod with a tank while driving.

There are a few quality atties out there that would suit your needs - all top air and very, very resistant to oversquonking.

Vector
Maker
Thump
Manta
Chalice III

Of these, I find the Thump and the Maker to be best for flavour and both can be dialled for either MTL or DL vaping. Never warmed up to the Chalice, myself, but there are those who would argue for it to be ranked highly.

There are a few quality atties out there that would suit your needs - all top air and very, very resistant to oversquonking.

Vector
Maker
Thump
Manta
Chalice III

Of these, I find the Thump and the Maker to be best for flavour and both can be dialled for either MTL or DL vaping. Never warmed up to the Chalice, myself, but there are those who would argue for it to be ranked highly.
I really enjoyed the chalice iii before the damn cheap clone rusted.
I found the restricted hits pleasant.
Was a pain to build on because of the tiny deck and silly posts.
Should have bought an authentic.
I will look into those attys.
Thanks.

In my experience, the right amount of wick almost eliminates dry hits completely.

About the only time I visually inspect the wicks is right after re-wicking, but other than that I almost never do. My thing is to visualize the juice entering the atomizer, and based on the level of juice in the bottle I know how long to hold the squeeze.

If you utilize a "Scottish Roll" or you simply pack the wick incredibly tight with your chosen material, the ability to effectively vaporize the juice sitting in the wick is increased immensely. Knowing when to squonk again.. for me comes down to the loss of flavour, which I know will soon lead to a dry hit. And that's when I know it's time to re-squonk.

On the very odd occasion I might get distracted and squonk again too soon. But that rarely occurs enough to bug me.

In my experience, the right amount of wick almost eliminates dry hits completely.

About the only time I visually inspect the wicks is right after re-wicking, but other than that I almost never do. My thing is to visualize the juice entering the atomizer, and based on the level of juice in the bottle I know how long to hold the squeeze.

If you utilize a "Scottish Roll" or you simply pack the wick incredibly tight with your chosen material, the ability to effectively vaporize the juice sitting in the wick is increased immensely. Knowing when to squonk again.. for me comes down to the loss of flavour, which I know will soon lead to a dry hit. And that's when I know it's time to re-squonk.

On the very odd occasion I might get distracted and squonk again too soon. But that rarely occurs enough to bug me.
I do use the Chris roll method which is similar to the Scottish roll but requires less effort :D
I tend to build quite high up in the atty so I generally tend to squonk more than I should.

You will know how much to squonk over time. You'll learn how hard to squeeze the bottle for just the right amount of squonk. It takes some practice, but eventually you'll get it right.

I use the RM2 with standard 1.2mm air hole and squonk between 3 and 5 seconds depending on the amount of juice in the bottle. If the bottle is full it squonks faster. With the 1.2mm air hole and my 70:30 juice I can squonk till the juice reaches the drip tip and nothing will leak out the air hole. The RM2 also drains very well so over squonking is never a problem.

I squonk 24/7 in the light, in the dark, while driving, while vooping, pretty much anywhere and everywhere and never even look at the mod... in fact I don't even know I'm doing it... on my REO P67 or normal Grand with Italian bottle and a Divo on top! Never leaks.

I think I need to re look at the cyclone normal cap.
Need to find some 28AWG SS as currently the atty gets too hot hence I need the afc cap.

@Christos, i will second what @Ernest said about the RM2 with the stock 1.2mm airhole
I dont need to look at the atty to prevent oversquonking -
And for me it hardly ever leaks, even with 50/50 juices

But I assume you are after a lung hit atty. The RM2 is a MTL flavour machine

@Christos, i will second what @Ernest said about the RM2 with the stock 1.2mm airhole
I dont need to look at the atty to prevent oversquonking -
And for me it hardly ever leaks, even with 50/50 juices

But I assume you are after a lung hit atty. The RM2 is a MTL flavour machine
I also assume I prefer lung hits but I did lung hits(slightly restricted) with the chalice iii and the normal cap on the cyclone works great at 1.5mm air hole.

I think I need to re look at the cyclone normal cap.
Need to find some 28AWG SS as currently the atty gets too hot hence I need the afc cap.

Just remember that all SS will heat up a cyclone, as the coil sits quite close to the atty walls.
Kanthal worked best for me to keep the atty cool, especially when chain vaping.

@Christos , if you want a hassble free atty for squonking, then I suggest you get a top airflow atty. If you accidentally over squonk, it won't leak all over the place. Sapor, torque, ice cube, etc. will work. You obviously will need to have them converted to BF.

@Christos , if you want a hassble free atty for squonking, then I suggest you get a top airflow atty. If you accidentally over squonk, it won't leak all over the place. Sapor, torque, ice cube, etc. will work. You obviously will need to have them converted to BF.

I agree

Sapor is awesome for flavour. Ice cube is very good also for flavour but I don't like the shape of it.

I have an ice cube lying around @Christos if you want to give it a try. I used it for 2mins... coiled it, wicked it, put it on the mod, took a few toots and decided it just didn't look good on my round mods :)

The Ice Cube will also be very easy to convert to BF.

I agree

Sapor is awesome for flavour. Ice cube is very good also for flavour but I don't like the shape of it.

I have an ice cube lying around @Christos if you want to give it a try. I used it for 2mins... coiled it, wicked it, put it on the mod, took a few toots and decided it just didn't look good on my round mods :)
Is it 16mm?

What about using Scottish Roll wicks to suck up all that juice. Hard to get a Scottish Roll to mess. I use it for all my shallow drippers otherwise over dripping is also an issue. Scottish Roll is a life saver. Only thing is it still holds juice well after the flavour goes thin but well before it burns dry. So I always have quite a bit of juice in the wicks when I pull them out.

nope, 22mm

I don't think you can find a 16mm top airflow atty in SA... well easily find one.

I have a couple top air flow 14mm atties... @hands modified the air hole for me on the Cyclone... he closed up the normal hole and then put in a new hole right at the top.
Cyclone Top 001.JPG

Back