I don't get it? HE gear.

The point of a handmade or low volume mod costing more I can understand. All I am saying it perhaps more thought and care can be but into the fabrication of the internals?

The point of a handmade or low volume mod costing more I can understand. All I am saying it perhaps more thought and care can be but into the fabrication of the internals?
This I can agree, I had a viscous ant spade recently, and was appalled by the internal worksmanship.
However, this comes down to brand specific, where one would skimp on this, another would do their utmost best.

I agree with @Jean claude Vaaldamme OP in that some of the plastic boxes which sell for serious coin have internals which look like they've been knocked up by a metalworking student at school,couple this with pretty rudimentary moulding shaping etc I just don't see how they are worth the money.
When it comes to low volume mostly hand made/finished production in stabilised wood or Juma I do see how the costs can get high very quickly.Ive made some mods and heres an example ; To get from pic one to two takes me anywhere between 8 and 10 hours.To get from pic two to three takes at least 6 hours.Lets add 3 hours for modifying the 510 connector and making and fitting all the components/internals.Total a minimum of 17 hours,now if a plumber or electrician can charge me around R400.00 an hour then surely my labour to do this is worth that,so thats R6800.00,the block of wood is around R800.00 before its left the USA.Leaving aside all the other components,consumables and electricity etc etc.Put a DNA board anywhere near it and thats another R1000.00 + (again before its left the USA).Makes a really nice hand made mod at R10,000.00+ seem pretty fairly priced.
IMG_1080.jpg IMG_1117.jpg IMG_1170.jpg

I agree with @Jean claude Vaaldamme OP in that some of the plastic boxes which sell for serious coin have internals which look like they've been knocked up by a metalworking student at school,couple this with pretty rudimentary moulding shaping etc I just don't see how they are worth the money.
When it comes to low volume mostly hand made/finished production in stabilised wood or Juma I do see how the costs can get high very quickly.Ive made some mods and heres an example ; To get from pic one to two takes me anywhere between 8 and 10 hours.To get from pic two to three takes at least 6 hours.Lets add 3 hours for modifying the 510 connector and making and fitting all the components/internals.Total a minimum of 17 hours,now if a plumber or electrician can charge me around R400.00 an hour then surely my labour to do this is worth that,so thats R6800.00,the block of wood is around R800.00 before its left the USA.Leaving aside all the other components,consumables and electricity etc etc.Put a DNA board anywhere near it and thats another R1000.00 + (again before its left the USA).Makes a really nice hand made mod at R10,000.00+ seem pretty fairly priced.
View attachment 155492 View attachment 155493 View attachment 155494
Wow thats amazing.
Sigh.
My hands are only good for breaking things.

This I can agree, I had a viscous ant spade recently, and was appalled by the internal worksmanship.
However, this comes down to brand specific, where one would skimp on this, another would do their utmost best.
That is so sad, I had one in my hands and it was stunning but I did not take a look inside. I'm a little disappointed.

My grail must now change

That is so sad, I had one in my hands and it was stunning but I did not take a look inside. I'm a little disappointed.

My grail must now change
I have the VA Spade regulated (DNA) and the internals are extremely neat. Have not seen how the mech looks like inside.

I have the VA Spade regulated (DNA) and the internals are extremely neat. Have not seen how the mech looks like inside.
You will notice what I speak off when you remoce the coverings of the wire and board. One I speak of was for repairs. After being bought new

My grail must now change
To top it off, main problem was that it's internal resistance wasn't correct. Meaning all coils read higher than it should have been.

You will notice what I speak off when you remoce the coverings of the wire and board. One I speak of was for repairs. After being bought new
Ah, no I did not understand you referred to the workmanship with the coverings off. Good to know, but I am certainly not going to remove the coverings from mine:eek:.

Ah, no I did not understand you referred to the workmanship with the coverings off. Good to know, but I am certainly not going to remove the coverings from mine:eek:.
Yeah if it works, it works. Then rather do not remove anything.

That all being said, it ome hell of a beautiful mod, photos can never do them justice.

Same argument goes for art some people are willing to pay crazy prices whereas other people see no value in it. I personally didn’t see what’s great about HE until I started using some HE items and have been stuck on it ever since , besides quality there’s just something about something made just for you or having something that only you own and I feel it’s fair to charge a premium for limited edition items because at one point I was willing to pay R4.5k for a paranormal project sub ohm just because it wasn’t available anymore

Same argument goes for art some people are willing to pay crazy prices whereas other people see no value in it. I personally didn’t see what’s great about HE until I started using some HE items and have been stuck on it ever since , besides quality there’s just something about something made just for you or having something that only you own and I feel it’s fair to charge a premium for limited edition items because at one point I was willing to pay R4.5k for a paranormal project sub ohm just because it wasn’t available anymore
Well this was specifically for some square sqounkers with cheap internals, but as for art. Last time I checked art prices normally increase the longer you have it, dont have HE vape gear, but do they increase in value too?

Well this was specifically for some square sqounkers with cheap internals, but as for art. Last time I checked art prices normally increase the longer you have it, dont have HE vape gear, but do they increase in value too?
Well there are auctions and our favorite people “flippers” so if there’s something that’s high in demand their price goes up due to the limited supply and high demand , like at the moment Frankie’s are in demand and they fetch some heavy prices

Also on that point silver contacts cost a pretty penny because of the price of silver and on that I just feel it’s not fair to say cheap internals but to say cheap looking internals rather :speechless:

Also on that point silver contacts cost a pretty penny because of the price of silver and on that I just feel it’s not fair to say cheap internals but to say cheap looking internals rather :speechless:

This got me thinking so I looked up today's silver price.

If the internals have a total mass of 50g and are pure silver (which I doubt) the cost of the silver would only be around $ 25.

This got me thinking so I looked up today's silver price.

If the internals have a total mass of 50g and are pure silver (which I doubt) the cost of the silver would only be around $ 25.

Seen a few he mods that’s silver plated but they are also on the cheaper side.

Looking at a mod like the armor the fire pin is solid 99.99 silver contact and I also have the battery pin that’s solid silver. Not to sure on the weight but that was pretty pricey.

You need to consider that there is a cost to molding these parts, wastage, machining , labor and taxes that’s a lot higher than China in these countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HE game is not for everyone.Not that I find anything wrong with it except that I have expensive taste and cant afford everything!
Im not sure I ever really completely reached high end,but I have owned a few “mid range” squonks(not sure if it classifies as HE),started with a Mölly V1,Bolt V2.5,Mölly V2,L’Atelier Holy,3 Bolt V3’s and also a Limelight Gloom.
I had the same argument once,until I held a Mölly,I instantly knew I needed to have one.
In short,once you have had a taste of better quality gear than the mass produced Chinese mods,you will understand.
I still have a Bolt V3,I love it.IMO the best squonk,it just works.
But...to add to that,best EDC setup I have had thus far,my Paranormal 250c with the Reload RTA.Some mass produced gear is really great,nothing wrong with it,personal preference is the main deciding factor,or should be.
I tried a couple of cheap mech Sqounk mods and while they worked alright I found the battery life terrible.
Is this a case of getting what you pay for?

That is probably due to the contacts or voltage drop,as the battery level is lower the drop will feel much worse.Contacts could also be arc-ing and causing carbon build up which also contributes to a crappy experience.

Some people are fine with Toyota Corollas. Others BMWs. Personal preference.

I drive a bmw :D !

Back