I Must Be Cursed...so I'm going back to basics

kev mac

Old enough to know better
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
As far as I know I haven't walked under any ladders, broken a mirror, and I never put hats on a bed.
So I guess the Vape Gods are angry with me. In the last 3 weeks or so 3 of my mods have crapped the bed.
My Voo Poo Drag,then my relatively new Snow Wolf and today my Alien went haywire. They will be added to my box of shame with the other few broken mods.So my solution to this curse is to go back to basics.I've ordered 2 semi regulated mods,a Geek Vape pro mech and a DovpoMVV.I figure since most problems stem with the chip the semi mechs have less to go wrong.This maybe pretzel logic but it's the best I can come up with.

Sounds terrible, I can't find the "sympathise" rating button but I sympathise boet. Is there anything weird you're doing to them, like vaping above ancient burial grounds or something else that would explain these 3 failures?

Sorry to hear @kev mac
3 mods going on the blink is very unfortunate
What happened to them? Did you drop them or get moisture into them?
What do they say on their screen? Do they boot up at all?

Maybe a mech squonker is calling?

As far as I know I haven't walked under any ladders, broken a mirror, and I never put hats on a bed.
So I guess the Vape Gods are angry with me. In the last 3 weeks or so 3 of my mods have crapped the bed.
My Voo Poo Drag,then my relatively new Snow Wolf and today my Alien went haywire. They will be added to my box of shame with the other few broken mods.So my solution to this curse is to go back to basics.I've ordered 2 semi regulated mods,a Geek Vape pro mech and a DovpoMVV.I figure since most problems stem with the chip the semi mechs have less to go wrong.This maybe pretzel logic but it's the best I can come up with.
I've had a very similar experience, with a year and a half of no problems, and then all of a sudden I lose 4 mods in about a month.

Glad it isn't breaking you though, hopefully the move to semi-regulated keeps your passion for this amazing hobby alive @kev mac !

I've had a very similar experience, with a year and a half of no problems, and then all of a sudden I lose 4 mods in about a month.

Glad it isn't breaking you though, hopefully the move to semi-regulated keeps your passion for this amazing hobby alive @kev mac !

4 mods @Stosta !
What on earth happened?
That must be a record of sorts

4 mods @Stosta !
What on earth happened?
That must be a record of sorts
Well let's see...

Arms Race - started discharging my batteries unevenly, seems to come and go but I don't trust it (at one point it drained one battery and left the other full, scary considering I was vaping a 0.2 coil at 100W)
Zero Mini - Some of the wiring right by the 510 burnt out, not sure if it can be re-soldered, have to get my electronics mate to check it out.
Spookhouse - I think a tank leaked and got into the firing button, so it gets stucks and left me in a blind panic on the freeway trying to get the battery out while it fired away!
KBox Mini - Battery stopped reading, managed to fix it for a bit and then same problem.

My oh my @Stosta
Hope you have a better run now with the mods

My oh my @Stosta
Hope you have a better run now with the mods
Slowly getting there.

The REO is unbreakable, the BB seems to be okay (as long as I don't try pitstop it), and strangely enough the lesser-known, entry-level Banshee has just been flawless over the past 8 or so months!

Slowly getting there.

The REO is unbreakable, the BB seems to be okay (as long as I don't try pitstop it), and strangely enough the lesser-known, entry-level Banshee has just been flawless over the past 8 or so months!

Those banshees are proper work horses, ive had mine for over a year now and although it looks like its come out of a civil war and one led not working shes still performing like a trooper.

Well let's see...

Arms Race - started discharging my batteries unevenly, seems to come and go but I don't trust it (at one point it drained one battery and left the other full, scary considering I was vaping a 0.2 coil at 100W)
Zero Mini - Some of the wiring right by the 510 burnt out, not sure if it can be re-soldered, have to get my electronics mate to check it out.
Spookhouse - I think a tank leaked and got into the firing button, so it gets stucks and left me in a blind panic on the freeway trying to get the battery out while it fired away!
KBox Mini - Battery stopped reading, managed to fix it for a bit and then same problem.

:(

I know that feel man. Atm im saving up for a DNA of some sort. Everything chinese seems to break on me. Tanks and mods. Goodluck

Those banshees are proper work horses, ive had mine for over a year now and although it looks like its come out of a civil war and one led not working shes still performing like a trooper.
When I first got mine I was pretty disappointed when I took it out the box... It felt a bit cheap and plasticy, and I thought the door wouldn't last at all. But as you said, it just keeps on going!

Sorry to hear @kev mac
3 mods going on the blink is very unfortunate
What happened to them? Did you drop them or get moisture into them?
What do they say on their screen? Do they boot up at all?

Maybe a mech squonker is calling?
The wolf won't turn on so it may be a button issue(the button is garbage)the Drag won't stop auto firing and the Alien turns on but then continuously scrolls through the settings.I don't think it is juice related.

Thanks man,no chance of my passion being lost,too many good things in vapeing for that.Plus I love gear,just need to be less impulsive and check things out better.

I know that feel man. Atm im saving up for a DNA of some sort. Everything chinese seems to break on me. Tanks and mods. Goodluck
Thanks,my Lost Vapes DNA is great so far and my SX mini Q also.Hopfully the extra cash spent on these will pay off in better quality.

@kev mac, Those issues may be juice related after all, who knows. When a device gives these types of problems, and I am faced with trashing it as there is absolutely no other option, my very last ditch attempt is to soak it in Mentholated spirits. If it messes it up further it does not matter as it was lost to me in any case but if it works, well, its a bonus is it not? But I only do it under those circumstances. Do not give up without a fight.

Best is to take it apart before the soak and let it dry properly before assembly. If it works, great!, if it does not, its no loss at all.

This by the way is my main reason for loving my top airflow RTA's. Seems even plain condensation on standard bottom airflow atties can cause this type of issue.

Good Luck!

Sounds terrible, I can't find the "sympathise" rating button but I sympathise boet. Is there anything weird you're doing to them, like vaping above ancient burial grounds or something else that would explain these 3 failures?
I don't know but Smoke (my cat) is looking suspicious lately.

@kev mac, Those issues may be juice related after all, who knows. When a device gives these types of problems, and I am faced with trashing it as there is absolutely no other option, my very last ditch attempt is to soak it in Mentholated spirits. If it messes it up further it does not matter as it was lost to me in any case but if it works, well, its a bonus is it not? But I only do it under those circumstances. Do not give up without a fight.

Best is to take it apart before the soak and let it dry properly before assembly. If it works, great!, if it does not, its no loss at all.

This by the way is my main reason for loving my top airflow RTA's. Seems even plain condensation on standard bottom airflow atties can cause this type of issue.

Good Luck!
Right you are they cannot get any worse really. What exactly are mentholated spirits?At this point I'd dip them in carbonic acid if it helped.Seriously i need to start paying better attention to simple mod maintenance. Also I Must stop being impulsive and research my purchases better.Mods are mass produced in China for the most part so crap is always a possibility, lucky that they are fairly cheap so if I get anywhere near a yrs.service I'm okay for the most part and dealing with Chinese customer service is a nightmare. I will trust my B+M for any substantial purchases in the future.

Right you are they cannot get any worse really. What exactly are mentholated spirits?At this point I'd dip them in carbonic acid if it helped.Seriously i need to start paying better attention to simple mod maintenance. Also I Must stop being impulsive and research my purchases better.Mods are mass produced in China for the most part so crap is always a possibility, lucky that they are fairly cheap so if I get anywhere near a yrs.service I'm okay for the most part and dealing with Chinese customer service is a nightmare. I will trust my B+M for any substantial purchases in the future.

Isopropyl alchohol

Isopropyl alchohol

@kev mac, I trust @Alex has provided the correct name for what I see now is in fact called Methylated Spirits. Its used for many purposes and readily available in convenience stores. Here's a pic:
IMG_0442[1].JPG
I use it to clean stuff (works well on car windows), start braai fires, treat athletes foot... Its in fact right up there with Q20 and Duct Tape in terms of utility.

Regards

Hi @Raindance,

Metholated spirits is an Ethyl alcohol, which is perfectly capable of cleaning things, I believe in the states it's known as "Spiritous" or something. And the reason it's dyed a specific colour is due to the deadly effects of drinking the stuff. It's extremely toxic.

Here is an article that explains the differences fairly well.

Why isopropyl alcohol is best for cleaning electronics displays
Posted by iCloth Avionics on February 20, 2014 | No Comments
1497452.jpg

Choosing the right alcohol for cleaning display screens

Alcohols are a great choice for cleaning various surfaces, due to their effective cleaning and disinfecting properties, and fast drying rates. The two commonly used alcohols are Isopropyl alcohol or Ethyl alcohol. While these two alcohols are often used interchangeably for various cleaning purposes, there is one area where ethyl alcohol should not be used in the place of isopropyl alcohol, and that is for cleaning electronic gadgets and touch screen displays.

There are several reasons for isopropyl alcohol being the safe choice for regular cleaning of computer screens, touch screen displays, and other electronics surfaces which are made of plastic, or have protective coverings made of plastic.

Some of the main factors to be considered while choosing the right alcohol for cleaning electronic surfaces are listed below, and these clearly indicate the superiority of isopropyl alcohol over ethyl alcohol as a cleaning agent for electronics.

1. Presence of water:

Water is dangerous for all kinds of electronics, as it can damage expensive circuitry at the slightest contact. Alcohols invariably contain some amount of water in them as a characteristic chemical property.

However, isopropyl alcohol contains considerably lower amounts of water than ethyl alcohol, and also evaporates much faster. As a result, there is less danger of any moisture coming into contact with circuit components when isopropyl alcohol is used for cleaning.

2. Damage to plastic surfaces:

Alcohols are solvents, which can chemically react with or damage certain plastic surfaces. Different types of plastics have varying levels of chemical resistance to different solvents. Isopropyl alcohol is a solvent that is very well tolerated by most types of plastics, and will not damage plastic surfaces.

Ethyl alcohol on the other hand, has some chemical reactivity towards certain plastics. The thin films of plastic used as protective coverings in most display screens are susceptible to damage upon continuous usage of ethyl alcohol.

3. Residues or streaks:

An effective cleaning agent must evaporate cleanly without leaving behind any residue or streaks to mar the surface. Isopropyl alcohol is typically available as a pure alcohol, and when used on surfaces, it evaporates rapidly without leaving any residue behind.

Ethyl alcohol on the other hand is commonly available in its ‘denatured’ form, meaning that certain chemicals have been added to it to render it poisonous and unfit for human consumption (in order to prevent its misuse). The presence of these chemical additives causes residues to be left behind on the screen when the ethyl alcohol evaporates off.

Besides the issue of residues, another concern with using denatured ethyl alcohol is that some of these additives are actually chemicals which are highly damaging to plastic surfaces (such as acetone, methyl alcohol and pyridine, among others).

A little care in choosing the right cleaning agent can go a long way in preserving the life and quality of display screens and other electronics. Isopropyl alcohol is your best choice as a cleaning agent for the above reasons, and is the main component of most cleaning solutions and wipes. Ethyl alcohol is to be avoided as it can cause considerable damage to these surfaces upon prolonged usage.

Dr. Chitra Sundararajan
Scientist and Lab Manager
Ph.D. Organic Chemistry: University of Maryland
Post-doc: Dartmouth College

http://iclothavionics.com/why-isopropyl-alcohol-is-best-for-cleaning-electronics-displays/

Hi @Raindance,

Metholated spirits is an Ethyl alcohol, which is perfectly capable of cleaning things, I believe in the states it's known as "Spiritous" or something. And the reason it's dyed a specific colour is due to the deadly effects of drinking the stuff. It's extremely toxic.

Here is an article that explains the differences fairly well.

Why isopropyl alcohol is best for cleaning electronics displays
Posted by iCloth Avionics on February 20, 2014 | No Comments
1497452.jpg

Choosing the right alcohol for cleaning display screens

Alcohols are a great choice for cleaning various surfaces, due to their effective cleaning and disinfecting properties, and fast drying rates. The two commonly used alcohols are Isopropyl alcohol or Ethyl alcohol. While these two alcohols are often used interchangeably for various cleaning purposes, there is one area where ethyl alcohol should not be used in the place of isopropyl alcohol, and that is for cleaning electronic gadgets and touch screen displays.

There are several reasons for isopropyl alcohol being the safe choice for regular cleaning of computer screens, touch screen displays, and other electronics surfaces which are made of plastic, or have protective coverings made of plastic.

Some of the main factors to be considered while choosing the right alcohol for cleaning electronic surfaces are listed below, and these clearly indicate the superiority of isopropyl alcohol over ethyl alcohol as a cleaning agent for electronics.

1. Presence of water:

Water is dangerous for all kinds of electronics, as it can damage expensive circuitry at the slightest contact. Alcohols invariably contain some amount of water in them as a characteristic chemical property.

However, isopropyl alcohol contains considerably lower amounts of water than ethyl alcohol, and also evaporates much faster. As a result, there is less danger of any moisture coming into contact with circuit components when isopropyl alcohol is used for cleaning.

2. Damage to plastic surfaces:

Alcohols are solvents, which can chemically react with or damage certain plastic surfaces. Different types of plastics have varying levels of chemical resistance to different solvents. Isopropyl alcohol is a solvent that is very well tolerated by most types of plastics, and will not damage plastic surfaces.

Ethyl alcohol on the other hand, has some chemical reactivity towards certain plastics. The thin films of plastic used as protective coverings in most display screens are susceptible to damage upon continuous usage of ethyl alcohol.

3. Residues or streaks:

An effective cleaning agent must evaporate cleanly without leaving behind any residue or streaks to mar the surface. Isopropyl alcohol is typically available as a pure alcohol, and when used on surfaces, it evaporates rapidly without leaving any residue behind.

Ethyl alcohol on the other hand is commonly available in its ‘denatured’ form, meaning that certain chemicals have been added to it to render it poisonous and unfit for human consumption (in order to prevent its misuse). The presence of these chemical additives causes residues to be left behind on the screen when the ethyl alcohol evaporates off.

Besides the issue of residues, another concern with using denatured ethyl alcohol is that some of these additives are actually chemicals which are highly damaging to plastic surfaces (such as acetone, methyl alcohol and pyridine, among others).

A little care in choosing the right cleaning agent can go a long way in preserving the life and quality of display screens and other electronics. Isopropyl alcohol is your best choice as a cleaning agent for the above reasons, and is the main component of most cleaning solutions and wipes. Ethyl alcohol is to be avoided as it can cause considerable damage to these surfaces upon prolonged usage.

Dr. Chitra Sundararajan
Scientist and Lab Manager
Ph.D. Organic Chemistry: University of Maryland
Post-doc: Dartmouth College

http://iclothavionics.com/why-isopropyl-alcohol-is-best-for-cleaning-electronics-displays/
Well we learn something every day! Thanks for the research and informative post @Alex.

Isopropyl Alcohol it is then. I think we use this as additive and cleaning solution for our high speed inkjet barcode labeling printers at work. If it is (I will check Monday) we are paying somewhere in the region of R199 for 2.5 liters of the stuff.

Regards

Thanks,my Lost Vapes DNA is great so far and my SX mini Q also.Hopfully the extra cash spent on these will pay off in better quality.
Its good to hear that. I love my tesla's but i know its a matter of time. The button on my 2/3 invader already sticks nd the chip in the 200WYE is really crap. I very badly wanted the dna lost vape drone bf but they discontinued it. Now im looking at the therion BF 75C? I dnu if its worth it. Ive heard very good things about the SX range. G class is just too pricey. For that type of money id rather grab a rebel vape.

Good Luck!

When you mentioned Mentholated spirits I got quite excited @Raindance
Hehe

Back