Ideas on how to organise flavour stash

Glad to see I am not the only one that prefers the ppdd.... whatever (Milky plastic) bottles over glass or those hard plastic ones. Would be nice to have a fixed standard used by all vendors. Would also make mixing using drops as measurement (for small test batches) a heck of a lot more feasible.

Maybe we should have a thread with voting buttons on this topic?

By the end of this weekend I will have some order in my life. Already thinking of new excuses why my own creations fail to impress.
DSC_0065.JPG DSC_0066 (1).JPG
Need another 6 meters of PVC waste pipe. Naturally my measurements had to be 5mm off...

Regards

Very creative idea, @Raindance! Although I imagine it's quite costly and time-consuming to saw up the PVC pipe into segments, it does give you the scope to create different diameter compartments for your different sized bottles. Nice one!

My collection of conentrates has now grown to a level that is more than I care to admit to my wife. I don't have space to display them and have not delved into the DIY DIY concentrate organiser yet. In the meantime I organise my similar flavour profiles into ziplock bags which go into a box in a dark cool cupboard. So for instance I have a ziplock with all my minty/menthols, a ziplock with all my Vanillas, a zip lock with all my cookie/biscuits, etc etc. I find it definitely saves time hunting a specific flavour and it can still be stored in a relatively small space.

I have officially run out of space....
2536ae4a29df1d1036769d76aa5d4308.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My storage hunt is over. I'm very happy with my seedling tray system. I have my 230-odd concentrates all stored, each in its own compartment, and headroom for another 150 more. All for the grand total price of a hundred bucks. Chicken dinner deluxe.

I'm also supremely happy with my "quick find" system. It takes me about three seconds tops to find a concentrate. For each new concentrate I buy, I put a coloured dot on the bottle cap with a koki. Red for FA, green for TFA, and so on. Then I store alphabetically but also split each letter of the alphabet into brands. I can't do pics but a graphic will suffice. This, for example, might be my two rows for the letter C:

alphaflavours.JPG

Red = FA, green = TFA, yellow = Cap, blue = FW, orange = Inw, black = other.

Each brand is stored alphabetically. So if my five FA concentrates with C are Caramel, Cardamom, Coconut, Cream Fresh and Custard, that is the alphabetical order in which I store them. If I'm looking for FA Caramel, I go straight to the C row(s), go straight to the bottle cluster with the red dots on the caps, then I know to start looking at the front of the cluster because it's Ca-. If I was looking for Custard (Cu-), I'd start my search at the back of the cluster. If I was looking for CB Cream Soda, I'd go straight to the three bottles with black dots on the caps. For most brands and most letters of the alphabet, there are only a couple of concentrates. So it narrows down the search to just a few bottles instantly.

Replacing the concentrates in their right place is equally easy. Once I'm done with my FW Cheesecake, I go to the C row, go to the blue dot caps, look for the empty compartment, pop it back, simples.

Another way to do it would be to have an alphabetically sorted tray for each brand: one for FA, one for Cap, and so on. But I think that would only be viable for those who have Kopel-like collections of 700 or more concentrates. One tray holds 128 concentrates. It'll be a while yet before I have enough FW or Inw concentrates, for eg, to fill even a third of a tray.

My storage hunt is over. I'm very happy with my seedling tray system. I have my 230-odd concentrates all stored, each in its own compartment, and headroom for another 150 more. All for the grand total price of a hundred bucks. Chicken dinner deluxe.

I'm also supremely happy with my "quick find" system. It takes me about three seconds tops to find a concentrate. For each new concentrate I buy, I put a coloured dot on the bottle cap with a koki. Red for FA, green for TFA, and so on. Then I store alphabetically but also split each letter of the alphabet into brands. I can't do pics but a graphic will suffice. This, for example, might be my two rows for the letter C:

View attachment 92999

Red = FA, green = TFA, yellow = Cap, blue = FW, orange = Inw, black = other.

Each brand is stored alphabetically. So if my five FA concentrates with C are Caramel, Cardamom, Coconut, Cream Fresh and Custard, that is the alphabetical order in which I store them. If I'm looking for FA Caramel, I go straight to the C row(s), go straight to the bottle cluster with the red dots on the caps, then I know to start looking at the front of the cluster because it's Ca-. If I was looking for Custard (Cu-), I'd start my search at the back of the cluster. If I was looking for CB Cream Soda, I'd go straight to the three bottles with black dots on the caps. For most brands and most letters of the alphabet, there are only a couple of concentrates. So it narrows down the search to just a few bottles instantly.

Replacing the concentrates in their right place is equally easy. Once I'm done with my FW Cheesecake, I go to the C row, go to the blue dot caps, look for the empty compartment, pop it back, simples.

Another way to do it would be to have an alphabetically sorted tray for each brand: one for FA, one for Cap, and so on. But I think that would only be viable for those who have Kopel-like collections of 700 or more concentrates. One tray holds 128 concentrates. It'll be a while yet before I have enough FW or Inw concentrates, for eg, to fill even a third of a tray.

Will any nursery sell these seedling trays @RichJB
Its getting harder now for me to find my concentrates.
Last time i couted i had around 50 concentrates, last night i decided let me check again and i had just under 109.

One doesnt realise but the concentrates grow at a rapid rate.

They are quite hard to source, @Clouds4Days. Most nurseries will have but they come in a huge variety of sizes and configurations. The trick is to find one where a 10ml HDPE dropper (of the type used by most DIY vendors) will just fit snugly into the compartment. After MUCH searching and phoning around, I eventually opted for this place which is quite close to ORTIA. You have to go there to pick up, unfortunately, as they are a wholesaler. The one you want is this plant tray:

540mm x 275mm x 900mic
28.5mm x 28.5mm x 38 mm Deep
128 cells

A 10ml bottle is around 25mm so they fit nicely. If you take a second tray and invert it, you can pop it on top as a lid. They are around R16-17 each iirc. They also stack very nicely, I have six stacked on top of each other, three trays each with a 'lid'. So it provides storage for 384 concentrates in a space that is 54cm x 28cm x 25cm high.

Very nice, @Raindance! Love the Moir's bottles lining the edge like the plain kids in high school. It's like "We can't get a dance, everybody else calls us nerds, wah!" :lol:

Is moir's even safe to vape? I am not so sure...

Besides the voices in my head now having become bilingual, I have noticed no negative side effects by using these.

On a serious note, I have mixed a sample of one of them, seems very weak and from the label it seems it does contain some additives not found in regular concentrates. I would not recommend it for use in vaping.

BTW, those are Robertsons concentrates.

Regards

Did some mixing tonight and thought it time to revive this thread again. So many new mixers joining so there may be improved ideas on this topic.

Regards
DSC_0650.JPG

I'm still going strong with my seedling trays. It has worked brilliantly. Everything is alphabetical and it takes me five seconds tops to find any flavour. My stack of three seedling trays, each with an inverted tray as lid, sits on my kitchen counter taking up a few square feet of space. It is sturdy enough that I can pick up the entire stack of trays and carry them to wherever I want them. The trays themselves haven't cracked or perished or degraded in any way. There is enough storage for 384 concentrates, which is more than I'll ever have methinks as most of my purchases now are restocks.

The entire system cost me about R100 and I haven't found any faults with it nor been able to come up with a better one. The only potential shortfall is that it's restricted to 10ml bottles but that is all I order anyway. I'd rather order 10ml of a flavour two or three times a year than order 20ml or larger bottles. It ensures that my flavours are used up before they degrade and when I restock, it's usually from a fresh batch ordered by the vendor. Small quantities and high throughput is my policy now.

I have to check out the seedling trays.... 704 concentrates later and my micing room is in chaos now :(

Back