If we tax vaping, we’ll just keep smokers smoking

To be honest I don’t see a flavour ban ever coming here, but tax on vape is going to happen for sure. Just waiting to see how that plays out and how we deal with it.
Just from here not heavily taxing cigarettes but hiking tax on vaping seems backwards!

Just from here not heavily taxing cigarettes but hiking tax on vaping seems backwards!

It’s to keep the majority happy. If we had your tax on smokes there would be riots here.

You can buy cigarettes in SA starting at R60 a carton.
That's 3,87 USD or 2,86 GBP for 200 Cigarettes.
$0.39c a pack.
£0.29p a pack.

Tax cigarettes all you want, you will just drive the illegal market.

Tax vaping? It will go the same route and due to the chemicals and electronics involved, death or serious injury are inevitable.

You can buy cigarettes in SA starting at R60 a carton.
That's 3,87 USD or 2,86 GBP for 200 Cigarettes.
$0.39c a pack.
£0.29p a pack.

Tax cigarettes all you want, you will just drive the illegal market.

Tax vaping? It will go the same route and due to the chemicals and electronics involved, death or serious injury are inevitable.
Don't you have agencies to tackle illegal goods?

We do have the "Hawks" and others, but usually there are "ways and means" around these things in S.A. on occasion...
Mostly involving cash and or favours.

Our china markets have total knock offs of all your well known juices, such as jam monster, blvk unicorn, fantasi (malay brand) etc.
They dont come in chubby gorillas but look almost convincing, the labels are still super easy to spot as being fake.
I shudder thinking they were mixed in some dudes bathtub but i know a few people who vaped those knock off juices exclusively for some time and didnt fall ill. I wouldnt risk it though.

Yes, But as said before, that is not how it works here.
Corruption is big business in South Africa...
Some political cadre and her/his/their connections are making huge profits off the sale of illegal cigarettes in South Africa.

In the UK Sin Taxes seem to be ring fenced
https://www.theweek.co.uk/102091/the-pros-and-cons-of-sin-taxes

In South Africa they are not, We pay the tax but have no idea what it is used for, but then again, we don't have a clue where most of our taxes go, The whole "State Capture" thing gives us an idea at any rate...

I personally would have no problem with sin tax if it was ring fenced, for example sugar tax to fight obesity and diabetes, alcohol tax to fight alcoholism and tobacco tax to fight tobacco addiction (Free Vapes for Everyone!!!) but like every other bit of tax hitting our country in the last couple of years, it is being used to put plasters on the stab wounds that Corruption has caused.

Why yes, yes we do. We also have a company providing 24 hours of electricity, a Compitent police force and no corruption in government whatsoever... :p:-D

Why yes, yes we do. We also have a company providing 24 hours of electricity, a Compitent police force and no corruption in government whatsoever... :p:-D
It could be worse, you could have Boris!

I still think hes better than snakeob dooma and his cANCer squad, although they all leave something to be desired i guess...

I think we should throw them all into the gorge where they belong :D

Back