Kanthal Vs Nichrome

Gazzacpt

Apprentice Vaper
LV

Awards
Morning fellow Vapers

I haven't seen a thread on this and thought it would be interesting to see some opinions.

I've used both and decided on Nichrome because I get the stuff cheap. :D
I've heard some people say they get a metalic taste using Nichrome coils but I haven't experienced this. I can only assume that the nickel reacts with something in their setup as both contain chrome. I also noticed that Kanthal A1 has a slightly higher resistance per inch than the same gauge Nichrome 5 so instead of using 30g Kanthal I would use 32g Nichrome. I also torch my wire, maybe thats why I don't get the slight metalic taste.

Would love to hear your views.

Tried 26g Nichrome once, did torch it, but still got a metallic taste. Will re-visit some time.

From what I've read in the various forums is that it does give a metallic taste, but the fans of it say that you get used to that and don't taste it after a while and then they reckon it is superior to Kathal - have not tried it myself, but having never had any issues with kanthal, I don't see myself trying it anytime soon

From my experience Nichrome is a little more fragile, so doing the pulse method to set up micro coils etc is a little more tricky to not overheat and pop the coil etc.
I have noticed no difference in taste. I stick with Kanthal now.

Back