Kayfun Monster V2 - impressions

A sad early evening. The Monster has sprung a Monster leak.

View attachment 33302

REOs in the background saying "I told you so" :) or "jy wil mos"

I rewicked yesterday and there was a bit of a dribble out the airhole but it was still okay. I refilled today and after a few toots the sluice gates opened....

I will investigate and report back...

Toilet roll brigade!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1439224970-434705-jpg.33302.jpg

Last edited:

I tried adding a speech bubble for the red door reo and failed miserably :-D

I was going to have it say "HA! Aint nobody got time for that" but realized I would need to put more effort into it than I wanted too :rolleyes: Now it's "Pffft Haha!" :-D

I tried adding a speech bubble for the red door reo and failed miserably :-D

I was going to have it say "HA! Aint nobody got time for that" but realized I would need to put more effort into it than I wanted too :rolleyes: Now it's "Pffft Haha!" :-D

Classic :-D:-D:-D

Im still pretty keen on getting one, its a kayfun, so im sure there will be issues in the beginning till i get the wicking right, but i have heard so many good things, i cant pass this opportunity up!

Great thread @Silver - always interesting to see follow-up reviews after the initial honeymoon period.

I ordered a few bits and bobs from VK to try and get a friend off stinkies and couldn't help adding a Monster V2 to the cart... for my troubles ;) With a Goblin Mini and backup Billow 2, I really don't need it but have been a fan of Kayfuns so couldn't resist. Anyway, it arrived today and is currently soaking prior to it's first use. I'll report back to this thread in a day or two after testing it, and will directly compare it to the Billow 2, Goblin mini, and K4 clone. This is also my first Lemaga clone as I've generally been told to avoid them, so I'll comment on that too. Nice to know that you've had good experiences with this brand though.

I'm interested to know how you are finding it now, 3 weeks later - an eternity in vaping terms. Are you still using it and have you had any more issues?

And for anyone out there who has the V2 as well as the V2 Reload from Sir Vape - please let us know how the two compare to each other.

Great thread @Silver - always interesting to see follow-up reviews after the initial honeymoon period.

I ordered a few bits and bobs from VK to try and get a friend off stinkies and couldn't help adding a Monster V2 to the cart... for my troubles ;) With a Goblin Mini and backup Billow 2, I really don't need it but have been a fan of Kayfuns so couldn't resist. Anyway, it arrived today and is currently soaking prior to it's first use. I'll report back to this thread in a day or two after testing it, and will directly compare it to the Billow 2, Goblin mini, and K4 clone. This is also my first Lemaga clone as I've generally been told to avoid them, so I'll comment on that too. Nice to know that you've had good experiences with this brand though.

I'm interested to know how you are finding it now, 3 weeks later - an eternity in vaping terms. Are you still using it and have you had any more issues?

And for anyone out there who has the V2 as well as the V2 Reload from Sir Vape - please let us know how the two compare to each other.
I have the V2 from VapeKing. Had it for a tad over two weeks and using it daily. I'm absolutely loving it, it provides great flavour with a decent airflow. It's still going strong with the first coil I built on it. I used the bell cap for the first two or three days and the full size tank since. For me there was little to no drop in flavour with the longer tank and refilling doesn't happen as often. I've had two random unexplained leaks so far, these leaks didn't happen just after filling the tank but rather about halfway through the tank. The liquid would just start flowing out of the air holes but flossing with a rolled up tissue soaked up the excess and stopped the leak. Other than that I'm finding I grab the Monster before my Subtanks these days :)

I have the V2 from VapeKing. Had it for a tad over two weeks and using it daily. I'm absolutely loving it, it provides great flavour with a decent airflow. It's still going strong with the first coil I built on it. I used the bell cap for the first two or three days and the full size tank since. For me there was little to no drop in flavour with the longer tank and refilling doesn't happen as often. I've had two random unexplained leaks so far, these leaks didn't happen just after filling the tank but rather about halfway through the tank. The liquid would just start flowing out of the air holes but flossing with a rolled up tissue soaked up the excess and stopped the leak. Other than that I'm finding I grab the Monster before my Subtanks these days :)
Good to hear @BumbleBee - I think Im also going to start with the bell cap because it looks so pretty :) But will then move onto the bigger tank no doubt. Fast developing high hopes for this little guy!

Thanks @KB_314
Sorry for delayed response. Been a tough past few days
The monster is still going. A few weeks in
Just the bell cap though, prefer the flavour slightly. Have only been vaping the menthol fruits in it at lowish power (about 15 watts on 1.1 ohm kanthal).

Flavour is really good and i like the airflow (lucky for me i quite like the restrictive lung hit)

Tank has been remarkably reliable with no leaks using the bellcap. Got a leak or two like bumblebee said with the bigger configuration but then switched back to bell cap and actually prefer the flavour slightly. Maybe its also because i like the compactness on the istick50. Lol.

But its a great little tank and lovely to vape on

Just runs out a bit too quick in bell cap config, so not ideal as a workhorse vape if you dont want to refill regularly.

Thanks @KB_314
Sorry for delayed response. Been a tough past few days
The monster is still going. A few weeks in
Just the bell cap though, prefer the flavour slightly. Have only been vaping the menthol fruits in it at lowish power (about 15 watts on 1.1 ohm kanthal).

Flavour is really good and i like the airflow (lucky for me i quite like the restrictive lung hit)

Tank has been remarkably reliable with no leaks using the bellcap. Got a leak or two like bumblebee said with the bigger configuration but then switched back to bell cap and actually prefer the flavour slightly. Maybe its also because i like the compactness on the istick50. Lol.

But its a great little tank and lovely to vape on

Just runs out a bit too quick in bell cap config, so not ideal as a workhorse vape if you dont want to refill regularly.
Aah no worries Silver - not too tough I hope! Thanks for the feedback.
My first build on it last night was a bit of a fail and head-scratcher to me. Flavour was decent, no leaking, technically no dry hits - but I could feel them coming! I was getting that dreaded after-burn/sizzle which always makes me edgy - and not the wetness or density of vape described in this thread. I put it down to poor wicking. So re-wicked using a different method (kind of like Busardo's K4 wicking) and slightly more cotton. Same story though. Decided to lose my coil (28g, 2.5mm id, 7 wraps at around 1.2/3 ohm) and tonight after my spaghetti I will try a new coil. Maybe 26g this time (or a 2mm id with 28g) and will aim for 1 ohm. Wicking... not sure. Thinking soaked and pushed against the side-walls sitting gently on the base like some of the old kayfun fans. Maybe?
Suggestions welcome of course from anyone keen to give them, and pics the next time anyone re-wicks their Monster ;) - another phrase that non-vapers might chuckle at

Aah no worries Silver - not too tough I hope! Thanks for the feedback.
My first build on it last night was a bit of a fail and head-scratcher to me. Flavour was decent, no leaking, technically no dry hits - but I could feel them coming! I was getting that dreaded after-burn/sizzle which always makes me edgy - and not the wetness or density of vape described in this thread. I put it down to poor wicking. So re-wicked using a different method (kind of like Busardo's K4 wicking) and slightly more cotton. Same story though. Decided to lose my coil (28g, 2.5mm id, 7 wraps at around 1.2/3 ohm) and tonight after my spaghetti I will try a new coil. Maybe 26g this time (or a 2mm id with 28g) and will aim for 1 ohm. Wicking... not sure. Thinking soaked and pushed against the side-walls sitting gently on the base like some of the old kayfun fans. Maybe?
Suggestions welcome of course from anyone keen to give them, and pics the next time anyone re-wicks their Monster ;) - another phrase that non-vapers might chuckle at

Hi @KB_314
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your first setup
What power are you vaping at? And what juice? PG/VG ratio? What wicking material?

The monster has very big juice channels so maybe your wicking material is too tight?

I have just been doing the wicking method you described "soaked and pushed lightly against the wall" and sitting gently on the base. Have made several wicks and they all seem to work very well. No signs of dry hits. 2mm ID. 28g. But then again, i am vaping at lowish power around 15 Watts. So maybe its too low to show up wicking issues.

Let us know how it goes

Hi @KB_314
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your first setup
What power are you vaping at? And what juice? PG/VG ratio? What wicking material?

The monster has very big juice channels so maybe your wicking material is too tight?

I have just been doing the wicking method you described "soaked and pushed lightly against the wall" and sitting gently on the base. Have made several wicks and they all seem to work very well. No signs of dry hits. 2mm ID. 28g. But then again, i am vaping at lowish power around 15 Watts. So maybe its too low to show up wicking issues.

Let us know how it goes
Ok - so after about a dozen re-wicks and a few coils later, I'm pleased to say that all is well with the monster!
I was having the same issue with multiple wicking methods - fine for half a tank, then experiencing after-burn and near-dry hits. The wicking was always japanese cotton, was using both 26g and 28g, on id's of 2mm and 2.5mm. If I'm being honest, I don't understand why I was having issues because it's now vaping fantastically for the past 3 days with what I think is the same build and wicking method (the one @Silver uses).
Juices varied - tried a 50/50, 60/40, and 80/20. Right now its a 1.1ohm build, 28g, 2.5mm id and keeps up while chain-vaping (even when using high VG juices).
Settled on the small version of the steel/clear tank because I prefer the small chimney, and think this looks the biz. The moist o-ring and condensation on the bell-cap made me want to swallow pills! And what I'm enjoying most - the monster has brought my trusty P3 out of retirement and will soon be off the classies. Super combo - 20W is more than enough for this tank - I'm vaping it at 15-16W and getting good flavour and decent vapour production. After some teething problems, I'm now glad I bought this tank :) Oh, one last thing, I played around with a few drip tips and would recommend trying a simple standard black (delrin?) RM2 type drip tip on this tank.

MV2.jpg

Awesome @KB_314
Glad for you that you got it sorted and brought the P3 out of retirement. Isnt it lovely when that kind of thing happens!!

It always is a bit concerning when one doesnt really know what one did different to get a build to work nicely. But at least it is working well for you and long may it continue...

Thanks for the tip on the drip tip. I must go try that

I partially solved the "wobbly stock monster tip problem" by taking the little red o ring off the tip and then winding a thin piece of rolled Rayon (of all things, lol, i couldnt find my dental floss) then putting the o ring back, so it sits fractionally tighter.

Awesome @KB_314
Glad for you that you got it sorted and brought the P3 out of retirement. Isnt it lovely when that kind of thing happens!!

It always is a bit concerning when one doesnt really know what one did different to get a build to work nicely. But at least it is working well for you and long may it continue...

Thanks for the tip on the drip tip. I must go try that

I partially solved the "wobbly stock monster tip problem" by taking the little red o ring off the tip and then winding a thin piece of rolled Rayon (of all things, lol, i couldnt find my dental floss) then putting the o ring back, so it sits fractionally tighter.
Ah, the rayon under the oring sounds like a good idea, need to try that on my subtank bell cap too :)

Ah, the rayon under the oring sounds like a good idea, need to try that on my subtank bell cap too :)

Lol @BumbleBee , dental floss is better I think
But i couldnt find it, so i rolled a piece of Rayon quite tightly and it is working for now

Ok - so after about a dozen re-wicks and a few coils later, I'm pleased to say that all is well with the monster!
I was having the same issue with multiple wicking methods - fine for half a tank, then experiencing after-burn and near-dry hits. The wicking was always japanese cotton, was using both 26g and 28g, on id's of 2mm and 2.5mm. If I'm being honest, I don't understand why I was having issues because it's now vaping fantastically for the past 3 days with what I think is the same build and wicking method (the one @Silver uses).
Juices varied - tried a 50/50, 60/40, and 80/20. Right now its a 1.1ohm build, 28g, 2.5mm id and keeps up while chain-vaping (even when using high VG juices).
Settled on the small version of the steel/clear tank because I prefer the small chimney, and think this looks the biz. The moist o-ring and condensation on the bell-cap made me want to swallow pills! And what I'm enjoying most - the monster has brought my trusty P3 out of retirement and will soon be off the classies. Super combo - 20W is more than enough for this tank - I'm vaping it at 15-16W and getting good flavour and decent vapour production. After some teething problems, I'm now glad I bought this tank :) Oh, one last thing, I played around with a few drip tips and would recommend trying a simple standard black (delrin?) RM2 type drip tip on this tank.

View attachment 35556
I have my monster v2 wicked with the "Scottish Roll" technique, check this thread: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/how-to-wick-an-rda-effectively-and-avoid-dry-hits.t14872/

Say goodbye to dry hits forever :D

View attachment 35556
The same setup , provari and kay monster is one if my favourite. I know that is against what people say but i always pack the cotton around the coil . Thigth . And work like a charm

The same setup , provari and kay monster is one if my favourite. I know that is against what people say but i always pack the cotton around the coil . Thigth . And work like a charm
Yep - match made in heaven!
In the spirit of Kayfuns and Provari's, I was feeling a bit "Busardo" and threw in some incredibly well-steeped 5P Gambit. More than an ohm resistance, 50/50 juice, low wattage, simple kanthal microcoil - everything that nobody seems interested in anymore - and was a superb, highly satisfying vape!

I will try that next. If it works as well as it looked... my monthly cotton orders are going to increase dramatically :eek:
Yip, you're definitely going to use much more cotton but it seems to go so much further. I've just been through 2 full tanks of Boba's Bounty, a known coil killer, and the wick still looks brands new. I managed to get 3 rolls out of a pad and each roll yields 3 wicks if you're careful with it. Once you've vaped on this wicking method you will not mind spending a few extra bucks on cotton. Also it kinda make all those fancy new fangled wicks like cotton bacon redundant.

Back