KEEN Switch conductive wire/spring

Morix

MecHead
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Hi there...

To those that have a KEEN mech or cary any knowledge surrounding this spring inside the button housing ( the one thats gold plated and runs right around for better conductivity).

Question :

How do you replace this spring and when? ( you get a spare in the box) is it there if you lose yours by some kind of unseen occurrence. Or should it be replaced after a certain period of time?

Love! Thanx. Screenshot_20211201_134038_com.android.chrome.jpg

Mate, I also run a Keen and have wondered exactly the same question you have asked. Sorry I can't be of any help, I'll be keeping an eye on thread and hopefully one of our boffins will explain. I have owned my keen for a couple of years, still with original springs and no fall off in performance. Perhaps Timesvape have supplied them in case of damage/loss as you suggest.

@Angelskeeper you gave me a nice explanation on mech springs the other day, maybe you can enlighten everyone else here as well, I know yours was not a KEEN, but it should help with contact springs in general for Mech Mods.

At 10:45 you will see how Vic opens up the button to get to the spring if you have the same button setup. For the one that has the battery contact that looks like a hex nut, you just screw the nut out to loosen the whole setup.

@DarthBranMuffin, I can't remember exactly what I said, but do remember I was having an issue with the button on the mech getting auper hot, as in 2 hits on the mod and you couldnt touch the button.

So I stripped the mod, cleaned the entire thing, all the contacts etc., then when I took the switch apart I realised the problem. After taking the spring out I noticed "hot spots" on the spring.. basically areas on the spring that were repeatedly getting hot.
The reason for this, is the spring had a higher resistance than the coil, so in essence what was happening was that the spring was acting the same as what the coil does, and due to the resistance of the spring it was getting hot just like the coil does. The spring would heat up 1st, and you'd get little to no vape at all.

The mod itself should get warm, not the button.

Back