KUI a closer look

kimbo

Flavor Junky
VIP
LV

Awards
P1090395.jpg

I will do this review in two parts. First the KUI mod and then the KUI atty.

After months waiting we have the KUI in hand, and I must say for a first run, cheap bottom feed mod SCANS did a great job. Yes there is small things, like I will show you, that need to be looked at but I am happy with the mod.

With a patent over the Reo SCANS could not do a clone let alone a 1:1 clone so they made an original mod modelled on the Reo. There is similarities, improvements and areas were they failed. Again I will show you

P1090397.jpg

Looking at the KUI, the finish in gloss black is a fingerprint magnet. There is no chips or nicks. The door is held by three magnets and the one I have close with a nice snap, when it is new it will take a day or so before it is nice and warn in. The hole in the door is nice and big and even my big thumb fits.

P1090398.jpg

Moving to the top

We get the 510 connection and the fire button

On the 510 connection side. The razed section is round and a 22mm RDA fits nice without overhang and this is the first fail of the KUI, every RDA I screw on there does not sit flush with the 510. There is always that 1mm – 1.5mm gap between the RDA and the 510, but on the otherhand I never had a leak from there as well

Looking at the button.

Untitled.png

A big drawback for me was the button. At first I used the button as is, it is very flimsy and feel cheap. Then I screwed the locking ring just over half way out and now the button feels better and you don’t have to screw the lock ring out so much for the KUI to lock.

P1090399.jpg

The biggest fail for me is the bottles. They are very soft but the threading on the lid is not nice so you have to force the bottle to screw in, and with the bottle being so soft, you will not have any juice left in the bottle when you get the bottle in. I used a small square bottle I got from @johan a while ago and it works very well. I use no o-ring with it but it seals very good and it is nice and soft so you can squonk to hearts content.

Looking at the inside

A little derin cover, cover the inner parts of the KUI but with the screw holding it is sitting on the side, when you press the fire button the delrin tends to move on the button side. Not a hassle but something to look at.

P1090400.jpg

Removing the delrin we see a very familiar sight.
The button push the fire pin, that makes connection with the battery, that in turn gives power to the 510 into you BF RDA and you blow a cloud.
P1090403.jpg

In my opinion this is where SCANS made the improvement. Inside the delrin cover they have a copper plate. So the button push the fire pin not directly onto the battery but onto the plate, that is connected to your battery. So no more ark marks on your battery

P1090404.jpg
P1090405.jpg

In my opinion the KUI is a win. For a first run, sub R500 BF mod you can expect little things that will go wrong. But all these things are small enough that you can fix by yourself. I am sure with the next run SCANS will have a better 510 that sits flush, sorted the bottles and then you have a great mod for entering the BF world.

I have no doubt in my mind that the KUI will become the poor mans Reo

Update on the bottles:

Seem like the cap and the bottle dont have the same pitch. I tried a Reo bottle cap and it works perfect :)

20150221_075113.jpg

This is the big bottle used with the black o-ring included with the KUI. As you can see a nice air tight fit

Capture.PNG

Been in contact with SCANS this morning​

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
excellent first review , and you hit the nail on the head .... what other sub R600 BF mod comes close to the Reo .... oh wait none ...

@kimbo, hats off to you for a super review
Very well balanced and lovely photos
Highly informative!

Well done!

Very nice review @kimbo :clap:

Having held this thing myself I was amazed at how well it feels in the hand - it certainly does not come off as cheap, which surprised me considering it's cost :D

And of course there will be issues, but I think that for a first run this is absolutely amazing. Hats off to SCANS.
One or two more iterations and this will be a very serious bottom fed device, finally making them accessible to many more vapers.

Nice job once again on bringing them in :)

Nice one @kimbo
Thanks for organizing the Group Buy You are a star.
I like the weight of the KUI it feels nice and solid.

My first impressions: http://ecigssa.co.za/index.php?posts/189425
I haven't tried the atty yet. @Philip Dunkley and I inspected it yesterday, and the airflow holes seem to sit right on the deck. Big mess waiting to happen if you over squonk
@LandyMan i found exactly the same, pre squonked my Atomic screwed it on the KUI, and i must say with respect to the Reo Fanboy's, i cant see a difference in the power delivered to the atty. I will do a voltage dro later today or tomorrow .. all depends on Eskom

@kimbo excellent review!!

Very detailed and with pictures = a win in my book

Can't wait to receive mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@kimbo . I fix the problem with the atty not sitting flush by making a new 510 center pin . I also made a new Delrin button so it works 100% like a reo . Will also be able to use reo button caps ! .

Still busy taking the black off . Want to polish it to shine like a mirror.

Think this is an excellent mod , with a few tweaks it will become very popular ! @LandyMan @Andre
20150221_220001-1.jpg 20150221_220013-1.jpg 20150221_220025-1.jpg

Last edited:
@jtgrey post a pic tutorial on what you did to the 510 please? Soon as mine comes, I wanna do the same.
Hi @Mo P

Will post some pictures tomorrow . What I did was - I used some deltin to turn a new button . I also took brass and made a sleeve to fit the new button and the hole in the KUI .

For the 510 center pin I used a brass round bar and made one that is a bit smaller then original . For the insulator I used one of the old cartomizer insulators .

This made the new center pin about 2.5mm shorter .

When I go back home again I will make a couple of buttons and 510 centre pins . Then I will send it to @kimbo because he is the KUI agent and he can maby sell it as an upgrade kit or something . Just let me know if you guys will be interested in something like that . It will be like a DIY upgrade

When I go back home again I will make a couple of buttons and 510 centre pins . Then I will send it to @kimbo because he is the KUI agent and he can maby sell it as an upgrade kit or something . Just let me know if you guys will be interested in something like that . It will be like a DIY upgrade
I will be

@jtgrey that will really be nice, thank you

Back