Links in Index not working correctly

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
Found this quite a few times. E.g. just went to this thread and clicked on the link at number 24 (Camel Lights) and it does not go to the correct post. Posted a link to that same post in another thread and it worked. Also checked that both links contain the same information. Please help.

It's great that you bring this up @Andre because I have noticed a similar thing in the Silver's review thread, which has multiple links to other threads. It seems that if posts get deleted or the thread moved or renamed (which is being pointed to) then something goes wrong with the link.

Have noted this issue.

Where is that Camel recipe in your example above?
I will take a look and see if I can figure it out.

It's great that you bring this up @Andre because I have noticed a similar thing in the Silver's review thread, which has multiple links to other threads. It seems that if posts get deleted or the thread moved or renamed (which is being pointed to) then something goes wrong with the link.

Have noted this issue.

Where is that Camel recipe in your example above?
I will take a look and see if I can figure it out.
Here you go: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-tobacco-recipes.t25083/page-7#post-413351

@Andre, i think I may have figured out why this is happening

I went into your index post in edit mode and highlighted the Camel Lights link and then clicked on the link icon in the editor to see the URL

This is what I found:
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/diy-tobacco-recipes.t25083/page-8#post-413351

Notice the difference to the link you posted. The post is actually on page 7 but in the link, it says page 8.

I suspect this is what happened:
When the link was initially created that post was sitting on page 8 but i see several posts before that Camel Lights post have been deleted (presumably after the link was created) - in which case, the post moved "up" to page 7. So maybe thats why its not linking properly.

Will have to ask the technical team to find out why the link includes the page number. I would have thought the post number is the only necessary unique identifier, irrespective of what page it is on. After all, I think the 20 posts per page is a parameter that can be changed. If my suspicions are correct, changing that parameter would wreak havoc on many links on the forum.

There must be a solution to this.

Will let you know if we find one.

@Andre my initial searching on resources I use for this suggests to me there is a design flaw with the way Xenforo labels posts when you use a link like you have done in that index page.

The flaw seems to be that it references the page number and post - but that post ID is not a unique number for the post. So if the post later happens to move to a different page (from deleting previous posts) then the link will be broken.

I could be very wrong but that is what my initial investigation has suggested.

Will let you know if we can find a solution.

In the meantime, you are going to have to manually check those links - I am prepared to bet that the ones that are broken have a page number in the link that is bigger than the actual page number where the post is now. And more than likely to be pointing to the next page because its unlikely so many posts would have been deleted that ot jumps 2 pages.

Thank you for the trouble, @Silver. Yeah, also could happen if someone edits a post by adding text or images, which then might move the linked post to the next page. In fact, all the additions to the Index post could have the same effect.

Checking the Index links all the time is not feasible, then I would rather delete all of them. Pity, hope you get a solution.

@Andre I don't think a longer post will make it to on the next page. I think it's just when posts are deleted.

Perhaps instead of deleting a post one could just put a full stop. I think that would keep the posts per page and the links in tact

@Andre I don't think a longer post will make it to on the next page. I think it's just when posts are deleted.

Perhaps instead of deleting a post one could just put a full stop. I think that would keep the posts per page and the links in tact
Lol, I just realised a lot of posts were deleted when I tried some links in the Index. Of course as an ordinary member I cannot see deleted posts.

Anyhow, I found a solution @Silver - just change the link to refer to posts (seems to me each and every post has a unique number). In the Camel Lights case I changed it to: http://www.ecigssa.co.za/posts/413351

Yes, you are correct adding to an existing post will not move any posts to the next page as number of posts per page is set.

Last edited:
Back