Merlin Mini MTL journey

Thanks for the feedback @OPium46
I still need to test MTL on my Merlin Mini

That drip tip that comes with the Merlin Mini is amazingly comfortable for restricted lung. But I can see why you want a longer thinner one for a MTL vape.

By the way, what power are you operating at if I may ask?
And how tight are you finding the draw with that insert you are using?
It is comfortable for lung hits. But when I take a drag for a MTL hit, I tend to purse my lips and use my cheeks and jaw to take the pull.

I have the Merlin on my Tesla Invader III on the 3rd setting which is 4.6v. Like I said I don't have another mod to test the ohms on so I don't know what the wattage is.

The airflow is nice and tight. I have the AFC turned to about 1mm open.

Right , after many months of delay I have had my first attempt at the Merlin Mini in MTL.

Am interested to see how I can get the MTL vape dialed in on this and how it compares to the Siren V2.

Starting off I decided on a simple 8 wrap 28g Kanthal coil. Came out at 1.2 ohms.

I found the parts and installed the smallest airflow restrictor. It was easy because it's slotted so it just screws in with the help of a flat screwdriver.

b83b54fcf42477943b56c2338e816a0e.jpg

Wicked and Juiced up. CB2. Juice I put in is Havana Nightz from Joose-e-Liqz because I know it well and its a winner tobacco juice. @Naeemhoosen

Feels like 2mm is fine because the wick tails fitted nicely into the juice channel 'holder bays'. I think 2.5mm would be fine too but I think anything larger would be a bit tight.

27b8a57c60b8415d8265fa941db67f80.jpg

And voila - here we go. And I then changed the tip to a flat tip to better suit the MTL.

c72920d7e0414c21eba5f1e4f20e5a81.jpg

Flat tip

9eeba32b5c3914bb80cc08998c8ec4d3.jpg

So how's the vape?

It's not bad.

It's fairly crisp which I like.

But the draw even on this tight restrictor and with airflow adjusted down is still a tad too loose for me for what I like. Siren V2 on 2nd smallest airhole is tighter. Siren V2 2nd largest airhole i think is 1.2mm. This restrictor is 1.5mm at the coil so it doesnt really matter what you do with the airflow ring. If you close the airflow it does tighten a bit, but i dont think it feels right. Its actually not bad but the tip heats up a bit. I have to experiment more with this.

Its a tad drier than the SirenV2 and I quite like that for this juice.

Thorat hit is reasonable. A bit less than the Siren V2.

Vaping at 10-15 Watts. Seems like about 13W is the best for this coil setup.

The vape is decent. I will vape the tank. Have vaped about half already. But the flavour feels not rich enough. As if slightly too much air is in the mix diluting it a bit. (When airflow ring is sloghtly open as i think it should be)

As it stands I think the Siren V2 wins by a bit. But I haven't experimented much here and this is my first attempt at a proper MTL with the Merlin mini.

I think I may need to go with a slightly bigger 26g coil and go for a bit more power. Maybe it will produce more Vapour and lead to a richer vape experience.

I'm a bit sad but that's how it goes. I will try again when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Right , after many months of delay I have had my first attempt at the Merlin Mini in MTL.

Am interested to see how I can get the MTL vape dialed in on this and how it compares to the Siren V2.

Starting off I decided on a simple 8 wrap 28g Kanthal coil. Came out at 1.2 ohms.

I found the parts and installed the smallest airflow restrictor. It was easy because it's slotted so it just screws in with the help of a flat screwdriver.

Wicked and Juiced up. CB2. Juice I put in is Havana Nightz from Joose-e-Liqz because I know it well and its a winner tobacco juice. @Naeemhoosen

Feels like 2mm is fine because the wick tails fitted nicely into the juice channel 'holder bays'. I think 2.5mm would be fine too but I think anything larger would be a bit tight.

27b8a57c60b8415d8265fa941db67f80.jpg

And voila - here we go. And I then changed the tip to a flat tip to better suit the MTL.

c72920d7e0414c21eba5f1e4f20e5a81.jpg

Flat tip

9eeba32b5c3914bb80cc08998c8ec4d3.jpg

So how's the vape?

It's not bad.

It's fairly crisp which I like.

But the draw even on this tight restrictor and with airflow adjusted down is still a tad too loose for me for what I like. Siren V2 on 2nd smallest airhole is tighter. Siren V2 2nd largest airhole i think is 1.2mm. This restrictor is 1.5mm at the coil so it doesnt really matter what you do with the airflow ring. If you close the airflow it does tighten a bit, but i dont think it feels right. Its actually not bad but the tip heats up a bit. I have to experiment more with this.

Its a tad drier than the SirenV2 and I quite like that for this juice.

Vaping at 10-15 Watts. Seems like about 13W is the best for this coil setup.

The vape is decent. I will vape the tank. Have vaped about half already. But the flavour feels not rich enough. As if slightly too much air is in the mix diluting it a bit. (When airflow ring is sloghtly open as i think it should be)

As it stands I think the Siren V2 wins by a bit. But I haven't experimented much here and this is my first attempt at a proper MTL with the Merlin mini.

I think I may need to go with a slightly bigger 26g coil and go for a bit more power. Maybe it will produce more Vapour and lead to a richer vape experience.

I'm a bit sad but that's how it goes. I will try again when I get a chance.

I love my Merlin Mini @Silver i would suggest trying 26G or even 24G , im using 24G Ni80 12 wraps reading 0.6 at 14watts and its magic.

I love my Merlin Mini @Silver i would suggest trying 26G or even 24G , im using 24G Ni80 12 wraps reading 0.6 at 14watts and its magic.

12 wraps of 24g !
Wow @Clouds4Days , thats a lot of metal!!
Thanks for the suggestion, i will try 26g first

@Clouds4Days , @@cliff

Any ideas on spaced versus contact coil?

My worry is that the MTL airhole is so tiny that not enough air will hit the coil, so i dont want to make the coil too long if you know what I mean

Have a look:

@Clouds4Days , @@cliff

Any ideas on spaced versus contact coil?

My worry is that the MTL airhole is so tiny that not enough air will hit the coil, so i dont want to make the coil too long if you know what I mean

Have a look:

Another thing i left out i used a 2 mm @Silver.
Keep it compressed for MTL @Silver
My theory is that you want to close off as much surface area as possible so the chamber is smaller giving you a tighter draw and not so airy.

Another thing i left out i used a 2 mm @Silver.
Keep it compressed for MTL @Silver
My theory is that you want to close off as much surface area as possible so the chamber is smaller giving you a tighter draw and not so airy.
That is why I use the 3mm to further restrict the space

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Thanks @Clouds4Days and @@cliff

I need to do some testing here
My issue is that when i use very thick wire the crispness is just not there and i prefer a crisper vape
I will probably try next with 26g and see how it goes

Thanks again for the tips and photos

Back