Mirror Online - E-cig battery turned me into a human FIREBALL as I slept

It's bad but should never charge any device next to your bed while you are sleeping.

I might stand corrected but these devices stop charging once the batteries are full. Ive left my iStick TC40W on charge in a Samsung 5V 2amp charger over an entire day a couple of times.

This guy must have just had a faulty device. And like any electronic device, it is possible to go faulty, now the way this article is worded is as if e-cigs are these unsafe ticking time bombs which is blown completely out of proportion

I might stand corrected but these devices stop charging once the batteries are full. Ive left my iStick TC40W on charge in a Samsung 5V 2amp charger over an entire day a couple of times.

This guy must have just had a faulty device. And like any electronic device, it is possible to go faulty, now the way this article is worded is as if e-cigs are these unsafe ticking time bombs which is blown completely out of proportion
@Cespian I agree. I hate the term "e-cigarette". Because vaping is world's apart from "cigarettes". Also, the article seems loaded towards being bias towards vaping.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

mmm, so it wasn't you...

We need amended titles to threads referencing stories from outside sources.

Just on battery charging

I never charge batteries when I am asleep or not around.

It may be a bit of a pain, but the way I see it, I would rather buy a few spare batteries and have spares fully charged than put all my faith in a cheap piece of charging kit manufactured in the millions. There are bound to be some faulty ones out there.

On battery charging. I put my charger on a ceramic tile, that way if something does start to burn, it'll burnout before it has a chance to get hot enough to cause a fire.

True, I should have re worded the title.

Thanks for the headsup @n0ugh7_zw
Have put the "Mirror Online" in the front of the title instead of the back @Waine

and yet, we all charge our phones next my our bed on the bedside table....

Hi everyone, I too have a Istick tc40w. It's not the first time I hear of this happening. That's why it is important people read manuals and follow forums like this to learn what to do and what not to do.

On battery charging. I put my charger on a ceramic tile, that way if something does start to burn, it'll burnout before it has a chance to get hot enough to cause a fire.

Brilliant idea. I'm going to get an old spare tile from my garage now, for my atty and my cell phone. Especially for my office where I charge my ELeaf on the carpeted floor! What a naive idiot I am.

Last edited:
That all said, I'd suspect something else of happening. I've had loads of mods with built in batteries that i've charged off of USB, and some of them get a little warm, but for fire to take place, I'd start considering other factors, like a dodgy USB charger, or maybe some juice inside the mod.

Speak for yourself @Viper_SA

For me, i dont charge my cellphone while i sleep
I check about an hour before bed and if it needs a charge i will put it on
Most often a 30 to 40 min charge gets me to north of 80%

If i forget, 30 mins in the morning before going out sorts it out and if I need more, i have a charger in the car.

Not saying I am right, just thats what I do

Just on battery charging

I never charge batteries when I am asleep or not around.

It may be a bit of a pain, but the way I see it, I would rather buy a few spare batteries and have spares fully charged than put all my faith in a cheap piece of charging kit manufactured in the millions. There are bound to be some faulty ones out there.

So no unattended charging ? If you goto bed and it's 70% do you unplug and resume the charge in the morning ?

I have those nitecore chargers that beep and buzz.

So I setup my charging Bay Area in the garage ontop of a granite table counter

I never ever leave batteries charging unattended. I unplug and resume in the AM if the batteries are not fully charged. I'm not sure if I really have to do that but after having seen an 18650 vent I'm never gonna take a chance!

I have those nitecore chargers that beep and buzz.

So I setup my charging Bay Area in the garage ontop of a granite table counter

Man, I still have an i2 and that thing lived on my bedside table for like 14 months, no issues :p my Luc6 is parked off on my computer desk now.

I pretty much only ever charge when I'm asleep, cellphone especially :p

Phone charges on the other side of the room... But not for safety reasons.

The only way il wake up when the alarm goes off is when I get out of bed. Otherwise I roll over and pass out again.

I never ever leave batteries charging unattended. I unplug and resume in the AM if the batteries are not fully charged. I'm not sure if I really have to do that but after having seen an 18650 vent I'm never gonna take a chance!

I dunno, IMR batteries venting, isn't that scary. Or at least not that scary in the cases of the ones I've vented :p

If you're talking about ICR batteries, then forsure those things are bombs, but they're not for vaping on.

Had it been a guy spilling his teapot on himself, would it have made the news...?

In India perhaps.....

Yoh ! Masses would be gathering at the hospital as we speak had a guy wasted a good pot of tea

@Pixstar, with respect, that's like comparing apples with berries. This article is a good safety awereness example for the vaping community.

I don't think that what he was getting at.

It's more along the lines of the fact that many electronic devices go wrong and cause fires or burn people and stuff. But at the moment vape gear is the top of the crop as far as scape goats go. Not saying this story is false, but at least 4 fraudulent stories come to mind without much effort.

Guy who's mod broke his neck (Fight, i believe)
Guy with a roasted leg (turned out to be the battery in his keyfob)
Guy who burnt his house down (Cellphone)
Guy with another burnt and cut up leg (IED, or some other military thing)

Back