Mirror Online - E-cig battery turned me into a human FIREBALL as I slept

@Pixstar, with respect, that's like comparing apples with berries. This article is a good safety awereness example for the vaping community.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Perhaps it was to pose the question that the burns suffered make bad press because it's an e-cigarette and had it been anything else it most probably wouldn't have made the news.

I dunno, IMR batteries venting, isn't that scary. Or at least not that scary in the cases of the ones I've vented :p

If you're talking about ICR batteries, then forsure those things are bombs, but they're not for vaping on.

It was an IMR... it was a Sony VTC 5... back in the day... Mech Mod and Atlantis. :eek:

And for me it was really scary! :confused:

So no unattended charging ? If you goto bed and it's 70% do you unplug and resume the charge in the morning ?

Yip, no unattended charging for me

I have several batteries, so at any one point, there are always several fully charged and a few that need charging

When I go to my "charge area" i switch on the mains and make sure the batts are charging in the chargers.

If I leave to go out, I switch it off at the mains and resume when I come back.

When the batts are fully charged they go into the "fully charged" holder, in the order they came off the charger, so they all can get a chance and get used roughly the same.

I am quite pedantic with this, not saying this is how it should be done, but it works for me. One just needs a few extra batteries.

I've never had a battery vent! Luckily

But I was once trying to assemble a mech with 1 hand and carry a packet of groceries in the other. As I was screwing in the atty I didn't lower the battery tube to put on the top tube and it was wafting around and the next thing I saw was a fire! So I dropped the mod, put the groceries down and then assembled it properly

Article seems to be aimed at causing hate more than awareness.

Well thats the underlying thing. All this stuff gives people who are against vaping ammunition to argue with those of us who do vape.

I've never had a battery vent! Luckily

But I was once trying to assemble a mech with 1 hand and carry a packet of groceries in the other. As I was screwing in the atty I didn't lower the battery tube to put on the top tube and it was wafting around and the next thing I saw was a fire! So I dropped the mod, put the groceries down and then assembled it properly

You should deliberately vent some old batteries. It's kinda like when you first learn to drive. going out to a track, and really seeing what its like to be in a bad skid, and just how far you can push your brakes.

Just have a bucket with some salt water handy, and make sure there aren't people near by.

Yip, no unattended charging for me

I have several batteries, so at any one point, there are always several fully charged and a few that need charging

When I go to my "charge area" i switch on the mains and make sure the batts are charging in the chargers.

If I leave to go out, I switch it off at the mains and resume when I come back.

When the batts are fully charged they go into the "fully charged" holder, in the order they came off the charger, so they all can get a chance and get used roughly the same.

I am quite pedantic with this, not saying this is how it should be done, but it works for me. One just needs a few extra batteries.

I have a similar process .

I have way too many batteries so I now put them all in a row with the latest charged in the back. I use them all in order so they get a good rotation and when I see that anyone of them has a tear I pull out all of its married pair/s and leave them aside to be attended to.

That said, I'm a bit strange. I like to test the dangerous sides of things in a sort of controlled way. So that down the line if things go bad, I know what to do and there is no panic.

I keep very few batteries in circulation compared to a lot of guys. Right now I have 8 batteries in total. 6 LG HE2's thats 2 sets for my Rolo, and 2 Samsung 25R's for my eVic VTC mini. So its pretty easy to keep track of them.

@Pixstar, with respect, that's like comparing apples with berries. This article is a good safety awereness example for the vaping community.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
I'm referring to the witch hunt for anything vape related. I am in no way down playing the importance of battery safety.

Hey guys,

Please don't shoot me for this but I do think that it is not a bad idea for users, manufacturers and retailers to take note.

We've all seen the stories of fake/rebranded batteries or falsely rated batteries. There is a bit of an onus on retailers to make sure they they buy from reputable suppliers and to only sell/recommend highly rated batteries. Likewise manufacturers of mods need proper QA on their mods and maybe even have recommended or paired batteries.

As members of this forum we're the educated few (or at least getting there for some of us, i.e. me) but I'm sure there are many out there who would stick in any old 18650 battery given/sold to them. Heck, I don't even question what battery my car dealer puts in my car, I just assume it is the right one for the car, imagine if a number of car batteries started exploding all over the place?

I definitely agree with the sentiments in this thread but I also think sellers/manufacturers should take care in what they sell/build.

Exploding batteries seems to have everyone scared, these mainstream media type articles' main aim is to psyche folk back to cigarettes.
Seems to be working. :)
Cant take a chance with the feathers, bro!
CYmExFIWkAEB3lJ.jpg:large

You should deliberately vent some old batteries. It's kinda like when you first learn to drive. going out to a track, and really seeing what its like to be in a bad skid, and just how far you can push your brakes.

Just have a bucket with some salt water handy, and make sure there aren't people near by.

I keep very few batteries in circulation compared to a lot of guys. Right now I have 8 batteries in total. 6 LG HE2's thats 2 sets for my Rolo, and 2 Samsung 25R's for my eVic VTC mini. So its pretty easy to keep track of them.
6x vtc's 6x lg's 8x smurfs

Almost forgot 6 tesi's

Last edited:
I commented on that article. There's no cure for stupid.

The tone of the article is the issue, the added comments from the victim can be understood as he has a bad experience. But agreed battery safety on all electronic devices powered by battery needs to be adhered too. That article says he had been vaping for a year so maybe the device developed a fault. Let's face it most of us charge our battery devices at night when we sleeping. If you count the number sold vs the number of problems it makes more sense to ban motor vehicles.
However you slice it there will always be haters, the first internal combustion engine was considered unsafe and a menace to society. The folks building electric cars had many studies showing how dangerous the internal combustion engine is, including how dangerous transporting all that highly flammable fuel would be.
look where we are today cars everywhere. Still killing millions of people every year. Nobody is now going to say ban cars.

Back