More News

Black Coffee has won his first-ever Grammy award.

The South African DJ and producer won in the category Best Dance/Electronic Album for Subconsciously.
1649228548806.png

The Federated Hospitality Association of Southern Africa (Fedhasa) has asked the government to relax its rules around travel to South Africa as some hurdles continue to prevent a full recovery for the sector.

South Africa’s recent lifting of the PCR test for fully vaccinated inbound travellers, aligned with regulations around the world, is a step in the right direction, but there’s a nuance that will have a lingering impact on family travel, the group said.

According to the new regulations, announced on 22 March 2022, only children under the age of five are exempt from having to furnish either a vaccination certificate or a negative PCR test to travel to South Africa.

The issue, says Fedhasa, lies in the fact that many countries do not offer vaccinations to children between five and 12 years, and neither does South Africa.

From the ESKOM briefing this morning:

1650359741502.png

Stuff like this upsets me (putting it very mildly)

JOHANNESBURG - South Africans could be in for more than three months of power cuts this winter depending on Eskom's generation unit losses.

The utility revealed this at a briefing on Tuesday after the country was moved from stage two rolling blackouts to stage four.
Regretfully, Eskom has just been forced to implement Stage 4 loadshedding at 07:20 on
Tuesday the 19th of April 2022. Stage 4 load shedding will remain in force until 05:00 on
Friday as per Eskom statement

Last edited:
IF any of us are interested in ESKOM's predictions , here is it from the main ''spinner'' :

“We don’t anticipate load shedding for next week, however, that depends on how we perform over the weekend and on the rain that has been forecast in the Mpumalanga area – this may have an impact on generation capacity.”
said Eskom CEO Andre De Ruyter

Cinema not going down without a fight​

''Ster-Kinekor and Nu Metro might be facing an uphill battle, but the cinema operators maintain they still have plenty to offer South Africans.

The increasing number of streaming services becoming available in South Africa might signify the start of a transition period for how we consume entertainment.

Like much of the rest of the world, South Africans are attending cinemas less, suggesting a slow conversion from cinema being the preferred family movie-night destination to online video streaming services.''

Cinema not going down without a fight​

''Ster-Kinekor and Nu Metro might be facing an uphill battle, but the cinema operators maintain they still have plenty to offer South Africans.

The increasing number of streaming services becoming available in South Africa might signify the start of a transition period for how we consume entertainment.

Like much of the rest of the world, South Africans are attending cinemas less, suggesting a slow conversion from cinema being the preferred family movie-night destination to online video streaming services.''
Unless studios change their affiliation, there will always be a place for cinemas with certain big budget items, e.g. latest Spider-man, which was only released to cinemas and thus will only be available on streaming services about 3-6 months (maybe a year) after the cinema run is finished (I know with release to DVD, etc. it was always a case of 6 months after the cinema run was done, not after first release at cinema, once it's run its course).

Personally I do not think that streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime, etc. is the issue but more the pirating of movies and the cost of going to cinema.

But let's be honest here, watching something like Jurassic Park in a cinema with the big screen and great sound beats watching it at home ten times over any day of the week, thing is just people are money pinching as pricing in general is going up way more than our salaries ever accommodate for. Luxuries in general are going to feel the pinch more and more over the next decade or two and some eventually falling away completely.

The Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) has not been issuing fines for speeding infringements caught on any of its fixed or manually-operated cameras for almost a year.

This admission came from the JMPD spokesperson Xolani Fihla in an interview with eNCA.

Fihla was responding to a tweet from YFM digital manager Hilton Tarrant, who said there were no active speed cameras in the City of Joburg because the tender hadn’t been awarded yet.

Tarrant included a screenshot of a tender published by the city for a service provider of enforcement and crash management systems.

Fihla confirmed that all of the speed cameras in the metro were currently inactive.

This was because the city’s contract with its previous service provider, Syntell, ended on 31 May 2021, and the tender for the new contract is only expected to be finalised in about three months.

The expected price adjustments for all types of fuel in South Africa in May are as follows:

• Petrol 93 – Decrease of 14 cents per litre
  • Petrol 95 – Decrease of 15 cents per litre
  • Diesel 0.05% – Increase of 94 cents per litre
  • Diesel 0.005% – Increase of 89 cents per litre
  • Illuminating Paraffin – Increase of 82 cents per litre

The Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) has not been issuing fines for speeding infringements caught on any of its fixed or manually-operated cameras for almost a year.

This admission came from the JMPD spokesperson Xolani Fihla in an interview with eNCA.

Fihla was responding to a tweet from YFM digital manager Hilton Tarrant, who said there were no active speed cameras in the City of Joburg because the tender hadn’t been awarded yet.

Tarrant included a screenshot of a tender published by the city for a service provider of enforcement and crash management systems.

Fihla confirmed that all of the speed cameras in the metro were currently inactive.

This was because the city’s contract with its previous service provider, Syntell, ended on 31 May 2021, and the tender for the new contract is only expected to be finalised in about three months.
Unlike in the Western Cape, where not a single camera has been calibrated and certified for years. They still send out courtesy letters despite not being able to respond when their charges are contested. Therefore, unless the uncle comes and knocks on the door, you know they are just pushing their luck.

Reghards

Unlike in the Western Cape, where not a single camera has been calibrated and certified for years. They still send out courtesy letters despite not being able to respond when their charges are contested. Therefore, unless the uncle comes and knocks on the door, you know they are just pushing their luck.

Reghards

My brother decided to check whether he has any speeding fines and lo and behold, there was one from Stellenbosch. He never goes to Stellenbosch! He's made numerous phone calls but no-one has ever got back to him. He's sent numerous emails - same thing.

My brother decided to check whether he has any speeding fines and lo and behold, there was one from Stellenbosch. He never goes to Stellenbosch! He's made numerous phone calls but no-one has ever got back to him. He's sent numerous emails - same thing.
Unless you have received and signed for a formal summons, there is no need to respond to those curtesy letters or SMS's. It is futile to try and do so in any case.
At present I have two "fines" for transgressions allegedly committed in a place I would not even enter with an armoured car surrounded by the military. All I can guess is that some citizen painted my vehicle's registration number on a piece of cardboard, stuck it in his rear window and got to work trying to get top score on my licence.

Need I mention, I am really exited for the implementation of R2. A department unable to tell the difference between a clapped out Taz on a photo and a Mazda Double cab as per the registration documentation is sure to make a huge success of such a process.

Regards

Old news, and we all know it, yet Rob Tiffin reduced it to writing ... something we all need to learn how to do, or ... suffer the consequences of our (lack of) actions.

Alas, the majority of people who vote for them will never be able to read such articles and so it will always be lost on them how much their precious government is screwing them over.

Alas, the majority of people who vote for them will never be able to read such articles and so it will always be lost on them how much their precious government is screwing them over.
I'm not so sure anymore ... I'm seeing a shift, it's difficult to hide the truth when the evidence is now so blatantly obvious in our surrounds ;)

I'm not so sure anymore ... I'm seeing a shift, it's difficult to hide the truth when the evidence is now so blatantly obvious in our surrounds ;)
There definitely is a shift. But if you think about the poor who cannot afford data and when they do have it, they're not going to be surfing news sites, so they stick to what they hear on the radio and that does not always have such discussions, it only has the news which details the fact that there is loadshedding. But a shift is happening. Like a river which carves itself out a new way to get to its destination.

Back