Nemesis Button getting hot

baksteen8168

Useful Idiot
LV

Awards
Hi Guys and Gals

I have been using my Nemesis with a RDA for a while now and i am really loving the way she hits. One question though.

Why is the button getting hot? It is only some time that this happens. Not chain vaping and average hits are around 5 seconds. Most of the time there is no heat, but every now and then the button heats up like crazy.

I am running at 0.3 with a 35A battery so I know i am well within the battery's limits.

Hi Guys and Gals

I have been using my Nemesis with a RDA for a while now and i am really loving the way she hits. One question though.

Why is the button getting hot? It is only some time that this happens. Not chain vaping and average hits are around 5 seconds. Most of the time there is no heat, but every now and then the button heats up like crazy.

I am running at 0.3 with a 35A battery so I know i am well within the battery's limits.
Have you cleaned the contacts on the Nemesis yet? Dirty contacts can make this happen.

Have you cleaned the contacts on the Nemesis yet? Dirty contacts can make this happen.

Gave her a quick clean when I got her, but that might not have been enough.

Think i will do it thorough and report back. Any recommendation cleaning solution wise?

Braso and an old t-shirt and some elbow grease! ;-)
Get yourself some silvo and smash It on make sure you use a cotton based cloth. Also make sure the connection at the bottom of the tube on the battery Iis not over tight. It sometimes causes it 2.

Hi Guys and Gals

As the guys have said a good clean sorts out most issues. I've found that I didn't pay attention to the screw that holds the switch together. Make sure the threads on that are squeaky clean as will as the hole it screws into then come tell us how much harder its hitting.

Last edited:
It's normal. Mine did the same. It's your ohms. Go .4 and above and you'll see. Same with my Launcher V2.

I experienced the same problem when I had my nemesis. Only when I had my 0.2ohm build in. Anything higher seemed to be fine

Is your nemi using a magnetic fire button, or a spring? because my Astro is using a spring, and on low builds gets warm. upgrading to magnets, may sort your issue out, if the cleaning doesn't help.

Don't listen to this, i was misunderstanding the workings of mech mods :p

Last edited:
Is your nemi using a magnetic fire button, or a spring? because my Astro is using a spring, and on low builds gets warm. upgrading to magnets, may sort your issue out, if the cleaning doesn't help.

I don't understand this :eek: as zero current flows through the spring, or in case of magnets; through the magnets. Both types are just keeping the contact open. The silver contact inside the switch is the only part that carries current (on negative side).

Hmm, ok, then I must be mistaken. all i know is that If i go below 0.25 ohms on my astro the button gets hot, all my contacts and threads are spotless, i use alcohol to clean them. What could it be then?

Hmm, ok, then I must be mistaken. all i know is that If i go below 0.25 ohms on my astro the button gets hot, all my contacts and threads are spotless, i use alcohol to clean them. What could it be then?

Carbon buildup on one or more of the contact points (switch, positive pin, 510 connector, including tube threading). What happens is even a micron gap, especially on serious sub-ohming, causes arching that deposits carbon. The higher resistance in the current path causes the heat dissipation.

I've just gone through the mod again, with a small scrubbing brush, and vodka, and then the contacts with some ear buds and vodka. I think i spotted the problem area, on the switch, where the pin goes through the body, and makes contact the walls were quite dirty with oxidisation and some carbon build up. mods all back together now, and firing strong with no hint of heat @ 0.25 ohms. Thanks @johan

I've just gone through the mod again, with a small scrubbing brush, and vodka, and then the contacts with some ear buds and vodka. I think i spotted the problem area, on the switch, where the pin goes through the body, and makes contact the walls were quite dirty with oxidisation and some carbon build up. mods all back together now, and firing strong with no hint of heat @ 0.25 ohms. Thanks @johan
Wow, I am glad I do not go that low....sounds like too much cleaning and scrubbing:D.

This is turning into a very informative thread. lol

I am still using the spring. Have the magnets, but the spring works fine for now so I did not change it. Will probably give her a decent bath this weekend.

Thanks Guys.

Gave her a good clean with brasso and she hits much harder now. Button still getting hot, but not as hot as before. Will do the magnet upgrade later to see if it fixes the problem.

Just built a 0.2 ohm coil to test it through on my nemi to see if id have the same problem. Almost instantly after firing, the button heated up extremely quick. I have the spring system and not the magnents. So maybe that plays a role somehow....dont know how tho.

Replacing the spring with magnets will do absolute nothing to stop the heating problem as neither the magnets nor the spring conducts current. The heat is caused by "improper" contact within the switch mechanism itself - check that the contact surface areas are clean without any carbon deposits, the latter are many a time caused by arching due to named areas not making proper contact over the full surface area.

I had a Nemesis many moons ago, and if I remember correctly their is an adjusting screw inside the switch mechanism, if that thing is not fully secure in the threads it will cause carbon depositing due to arching. Will google and see if I can find a drawing, pic or something.

Last edited:
@K_klops & @baksteen8168 if you look at the picture below, C screws into A and B screws into the battery holder. Clean these threads with an alcohol base cleaner (i.e Spirits, commercial contact cleaner etc) including the threads on the battery holder where B makes contact with same. If the contact between the treads of A and C are not fully secure, and/or, if the contact area of C doesn't make perfect contact with battery's negative when you press the switch, you will have major heat build up in the switch, and will only worsen over time. Hope this clarify what I'm trying to explain.

From the pic you can clearly see that only A, B & C complete the circuit from the battery's negative, to the rest of the mech, and that the spring (or magnets) are not in the current path at all.

Nem-switch.png

Last edited:
Thank you soo much @johan, your advice is always greatly appreciated and extremely educational. I clean my nemi quite often and the only reasonable cause I could think of was your advice about the adjusting pin not making a flush connection with the negative post of the battery. Could this also be caused by the plastic wrapping on the efest batteries ? The exposed area at the negative base is rather small for the nemis contact? Or am I pulling at straws:confused:

Thanks for this. Happened to me for the first time yesterday morning.
I at first suspected it was a battery problem and pulled it apart. Went and bought a multimeter to test the battery for fear I had shorted it. Read at 4.07v
It wasn't extremely hot, but a lot warmer than normal.

Only put it together again last night as I used my spare mod while I was at work. I am running a 1.2ohm coil in mine but assume the same principle applies regardless of coil size. I only have had my meni for a few months and have never cleaned contacts... now I know!

Appreciate the thread.

Back