New Vape Advice!!

Shaun

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi Everyone,

It's been quite some time since i have been active on the forums... Im on the hunt for a new vape, my second vape!

The first was a pen style vv vspinner battery with a mini protank 2. It worked well while i had it, but after much use it started to give me endless issues and eventually i lost it somewhere, probably for the best!

Now returning to the scene and there are so many more different new products and have no clue where to begin... What i do know is that i would like a bigger tank on a mini box type device one that has really caught my eye is the kanger subox mini! Is it current or are there others i should be considering?

Your advice would be awesome :)

Kanger Toptank Mini kit (replaced the Subtank) is always a good buy.

Also consider the Eleaf Pico kit (Pico mod with Melo3 Mini) if you want smaller.

SoyVH5M.jpg

Welcome back @Shaun :)

Much has changed since the Spinner/ProTank, there are countless options available to vapers these days. These are kit options I would consider:

iStick Pico with Melo 3 tank (So much of tiny awesomeness)
Joyetech VTC Mini with Cubis (Features galore, dependable and comfortable with the added bonus that the Cubis tank refuses to leak)
Kangertech Toptank Mini kit (Replaces the Subox kit, the Toptank is essentially the same thing but with a top fill option)

Word of caution with the Kangertech products though, if the sight of flaking paint freaks you out then better to look elsewhere, for some reason Kanger has still not figured out how to make paint stick to metal. Joyetech's paint finishes are impeccable.

Something to look out for is the upcoming Kangertech Protank 4 which uses the current range of standard coils and also includes a RBA deck that will hold a pair of claptons. In my opinion the Protank 4 on the VTC Mini would kick butt. But don't overlook that Pico kit, it really is pretty impressive, 75W with various temp control options in such a small package.

Topbox Mini kit will be the way, come to the dark side, we have cookies, and all that jazz! ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys!! Just placed an order with Sir Vape for the top box mini kit + battery and a couple juices cannot wait!!

Thanks for the feedback guys!! Just placed an order with Sir Vape for the top box mini kit + battery and a couple juices cannot wait!!
It's a great kit, you're going to love it :)

Topbox mini is a great piece of kit, if paint problems are an issue (not sure while Kangertech have not addressed this) the platinum version looks great, but is slightly more expensive, or less cheap, depending on how you look at it. Hope you get sorted mate.

Hi sorry for the necro but with the topbox can you use samsung 25R batteries? It says 30A or more in the booklet :/

Hi sorry for the necro but with the topbox can you use samsung 25R batteries? It says 30A or more in the booklet :/
The Samsung 25R will work just fine as will most 20A batteries like the Samsung 30Q and the LG HG2

Last edited:
Im back again.. To revive this thread once again im in search of yet another device... Very unimpressed with the topbox... The tank leaked all the time... found that it was due too poorly made coils, i can delve into detail should anyone want to know. The only coil that did not leak was the supplied RBA...
Also to note if you drop the device the battery pin gets stuck. I had to reluctantly open the device to free the pin knowing that doing so would void any warranty.. And then finally my breaking point, it started to fire on its own. It could be placed on the table in front of me not being touched and you could here the juice start to sizzle!! I couldn't understand why my battery was draining so quickly all the time!!
Anyway long story short my whole vaping experience has been nothing but problematic... Back on the ciggarettes once again because i cannot find a device that works long enough to keep me smoke free!!

Im back again.. To revive this thread once again im in search of yet another device... Very unimpressed with the topbox... The tank leaked all the time... found that it was due too poorly made coils, i can delve into detail should anyone want to know. The only coil that did not leak was the supplied RBA...
Also to note if you drop the device the battery pin gets stuck. I had to reluctantly open the device to free the pin knowing that doing so would void any warranty.. And then finally my breaking point, it started to fire on its own. It could be placed on the table in front of me not being touched and you could here the juice start to sizzle!! I couldn't understand why my battery was draining so quickly all the time!!
Anyway long story short my whole vaping experience has been nothing but problematic... Back on the ciggarettes once again because i cannot find a device that works long enough to keep me smoke free!!
The Pico with a Melo III tank would be an excellent starting point. The Pico has no such issues like your Top box and the Melo vapes really nice.

If it's battery life you need, then look at a decent 2 cell mod. There are many options out there like the Minikin or the Wismec Predator which @Sir Vape has a great price. You could also get a good, easy to rebuild RTA or a commercial tank. There are many great RTA's like the Serpent Mini 25, Engine Nano (check out my review on it in the reviews section) or even the Merlin Mini (Check out my review in the reviews section) or Merlin RDTA (easy to wick, great flavor). If it's commercial tanks that you want, the TFV8 seems to be favourable to many but it does drink the juice.

Hi @Shaun

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences! As @Andre suggested above, the Eleaf Pico kit is a solid performer (and almost a year after his post, is still not 'outdated' and remains one of the best starter kits). I've had a Pico mod before for a few months (sold to buy a complete kit in a different color) and a complete kit for the last 8 months (although I mostly just use the mod with RTAs / RDAs, but when I use the tank for convenience it performs great with no leakage) and I haven't had a single day's problems with mine. I have also seen almost no major problems with this mod or tank (especially the 2 ml version, it also comes in a 4 ml - which to my subjective mind looks a bit strange on the tiny mod and apparently also suffers with airlock issues when you use the Vaporesso CCell ceramic coils which are compatible with the tanks and which provide much longer coil life) mentioned on the forum.

The full black, full stainless, white, and pink versions are available at a very good price here: https://www.vapeclub.co.za/collections/starter-kits-and-combos/products/istick-pico-75w-tc

Last edited:
The Pico with a Melo III tank would be an excellent starting point. The Pico has no such issues like your Top box and the Melo vapes really nice.

If it's battery life you need, then look at a decent 2 cell mod. There are many options out there like the Minikin or the Wismec Predator which @Sir Vape has a great price. You could also get a good, easy to rebuild RTA or a commercial tank. There are many great RTA's like the Serpent Mini 25, Engine Nano (check out my review on it in the reviews section) or even the Merlin Mini (Check out my review in the reviews section) or Merlin RDTA (easy to wick, great flavor). If it's commercial tanks that you want, the TFV8 seems to be favourable to many but it does drink the juice.

Hi @Shaun

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences! As @Andre suggested above, the Eleaf Pico kit is a solid performer (and almost a year after his post, is still not 'outdated' and remains one of the best starter kits). I've had a Pico mod before for a few months (sold to buy a complete kit in a different color) and a complete kit for the last 8 months (although I mostly just use the mod with RTAs / RDAs, but when I use the tank for convenience it performs great with no leakage) and I haven't had a single day's problems with mine. I have also seen almost no major problems with this mod or tank (especially the 2 ml version, it also comes in a 4 ml - which to my subjective mind looks a bit strange on the tiny mod and apparently also suffers with airlock issues when you use the Vaporesso CCell ceramic coils which are compatible with the tanks and which provide much longer coil life) mentioned on the forum.

The full black, full stainless, white, and pink versions are available at a very good price here: https://www.vapeclub.co.za/collections/starter-kits-and-combos/products/istick-pico-75w-tc

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated! I tried to jump on the that deal @vapeclub for the full black kit but im too late... they're sold out... I'll look around and try and get up to speed with what is on the market! What has caught my eye is the smok alien & wismec predator wondering if a bit overkill at this stage?

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated! I tried to jump on the that deal @vapeclub for the full black kit but im too late... they're sold out... I'll look around and try and get up to speed with what is on the market! What has caught my eye is the smok alien & wismec predator wondering if a bit overkill at this stage?

Don't worry about the overkill concern. If your experience is anything like mine you will buy it eventually and until you do, never actually be totally happy with what you bought instead. That second best feeling can nag in the background and you end up spending more by having purchased mods you did not really feel good about. If its what you really want, just do it!

Regards

If you are considering a dual battery mod then go with one off the bat. It gives you better battery life and the size increase also ensures compatibility with atomizer bigger than 22mm. But I must say the pico's size is awesome. My Alien was a little heavy and bulky for pants pocket but still doable. My Pico is very happy in my pocket.

I think you are on the right track,as a happy Alien owner I wholeheartedly recommend it.The Predator is fairly new but looks good.The Alien kit is reasonably priced.As far as tanks go I can't recommend the OBS Engine series high enough,simpley the best in every category also reasonably priced.

I think you are on the right track,as a happy Alien owner I wholeheartedly recommend it.The Predator is fairly new but looks good.The Alien kit is reasonably priced.As far as tanks go I can't recommend the OBS Engine series high enough,simpley the best in every category also reasonably priced.

I think the alien wins this round now the task of finding someone with stock at a decent price!

Don't worry about the overkill concern. If your experience is anything like mine you will buy it eventually and until you do, never actually be totally happy with what you bought instead. That second best feeling can nag in the background and you end up spending more by having purchased mods you did not really feel good about. If its what you really want, just do it!

Regards

I think the alien wins this round now the task of finding someone with stock at a decent price!
I've never used an Alien (or Baby Beast Tank), but most owners seem very happy with theirs besides the paint reportedly peeling on many of the mods: https://www.ecigssa.co.za/how-bad-is-the-paint-issue-on-the-smok-alien.t34309/ However, it seems as if this happened to some people and not to others and some also say that this was only an issue on the first batch. From what I have seen, the Predator (as just a mod, not necessarily the kit including the tank) has been getting rave reviews, with most reviewers saying that they prefer it to the Alien, but the Baby Beast tank will probably give you more flexibility (in terms of coils, having an RBA etc) than the Wismec Elabo (the Wismec Mod, despite it's 'better' reviews, and the kit, is significantly less expensive than the Smok, however)

The Alien kits, Predator kits, Alien mods, Predator mods, Baby Beast tanks, and a variety of excellent RTA's are available at Vapeclub (I don't always just list stuff from Vapeclub :), although they are one of my two go-to hardware vendors, but they are the only vendor that I saw who has everything mentioned - and at great prices):

https://www.vapeclub.co.za/collections/starter-kits-and-combos/products/smok-alien-kit-220w
https://www.vapeclub.co.za/collecti...edator-228-and-elabo-sub-ohm-tank-starter-kit
https://www.vapeclub.co.za/products/smok-alien-mod
https://www.vapeclub.co.za/products/copy-of-wismec-predator-228-tc-mod
https://www.vapeclub.co.za/products/smok-tfv8-baby
https://www.vapeclub.co.za/collections/rebuild-able-atomisers

All the best with your purchase!

I think im pretty much sold on the alien. They seem to be quite a hot item! No stock left from dragon vape... Except for one in Gold colour which im not to keen on...

I was wondering if i should get the mod only and the TFV8 complete kit. I'd then have the RBA head for future use? I haven't really read up anything on the baby beast tank supplied in the kit. What do you guys think?

I think im pretty much sold on the alien. They seem to be quite a hot item! No stock left from dragon vape... Except for one in Gold colour which im not to keen on...

I was wondering if i should get the mod only and the TFV8 complete kit. I'd then have the RBA head for future use? I haven't really read up anything on the baby beast tank supplied in the kit. What do you guys think?
Consider the Big Baby Beast with the Alien. The RBA is included in that too and it's a nice size tank.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hey bud. I personally am not a fan of the RBA options on the Smok tanks. If you are going to buy their coils they are awesome but not for building. I run iJoy Exo XL tanks on all my daily mods as they are awesome to build on and if you don't want to build you can screw in a pre-made coil. I've got one on my Alien and G-Priv and the one for my Predator is on it's way. My 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback and advice everyone!! I have pulled the trigger on the alien 220w kit paired with a bottle of voodoo juice - bloody sunday & complex chaos crusty custard! couldn't afford spares right now so hopefully the two supplied coils last long enough! Next i'll probably upgrade to the big baby beast and a standalone battery charger.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice everyone!! I have pulled the trigger on the alien 220w kit paired with a bottle of voodoo juice - bloody sunday & complex chaos crusty custard! couldn't afford spares right now so hopefully the two supplied coils last long enough! Next i'll probably upgrade to the big baby beast and a standalone battery charger.

Good luck with it @Shaun
Let us know how it goes and how you like the juices

I haven't tried Bloody Sunday, but Crusty Custard is delicious!

Interestingly enough the first two juices I bought was a Voodoo Juice (Gravestone I think it was called) and Complex Chaos (Crusty Custard). I'm a sucker for good branding! :-D

Wishing you the best for your vape journey!

Back