New to dripping. Advice needed.

Stew

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
New to dripping. I just want to learn a bit to evaluate home made juices. I got a Geekvape Z RDA for 1c on a purchase I made.
The way I Wicked it, how does it look?
Still have to tuck the cotton in on one side.
I made the tails long enough to meet in the middle.
20230902_145947.jpg20230902_145936.jpg

Good going there @Stew , fluff it out nicely but not too much. Let the ends of the cotton rest on the bottom. Juice it up and keep it saturated. You'll notice flavor drop as the cotton dries out. It is easy vaping at home with a bottle close by to top up. Will take some time to find the sweetspot of how much you nees to drip every time without looking at the cotton, but it will be a quick learning curve.

New to dripping. I just want to learn a bit to evaluate home made juices. I got a Geekvape Z RDA for 1c on a purchase I made.
The way I Wicked it, how does it look?
Still have to tuck the cotton in on one side.
I made the tails long enough to meet in the middle.
View attachment 276857View attachment 276856
I think you may have a little much cotton you wicks needs to just touch the well or base of the dripper as @DarthBranMuffin mentioned give it a comb out and trim remember the chamber of the dripper will also act as a well capacity and you should not worry too much of over dripping as the z rda has top airflow coming down. Enjoy it as you might find the juices more flavorful than tanks

@Stew I agree with the previous replies. Too much cotton will make for a crappy vape. Too little and the same thing happens. Cut just short of the base or wells and fluff out a little.

They are being kind Stew

What the hell are you thinking, get that cotton trimmed to sit just in the juice well.

They are being kind Stew

What the hell are you thinking, get that cotton trimmed to sit just in the juice well.
I don't actually see the logic. With the cotton holding the juice you can drip and have a vape and put the mod in your pocket without it running all over the show?

I don't actually see the logic. With the cotton holding the juice you can drip and have a vape and put the mod in your pocket without it running all over the show?
Much of the time the simple act of dripping is enough to wet the coils. However, the drippings that do make it down there to the bottom of the well, then need to travel up to your coils.

With cotton tails that long, it's a long and arduous journey for the e-liquid and you may experience dry hits whilst the juice is in its way up.

It's better to thin out the cotton and keep it as short as possible (e.g. as suggested by just touching the bottom) to enhance the capillary action in the cotton as much as possible to ensure quick saturation of the cotton inside the coils.

The cotton is not a storage mechanism for extra juice, but rather a delivery mechanism to get juice from the well up to the coils.

I hope this helps.

I see what you're trying to say..., but the idea outlasts the practicality.
If you want to do that then the wick cotton and the juice reservoir cotton should be separate entities.
If the cotton is too long and too thick it won't reach the coil fast enough and eventually never will.
You'll sit with an RDA full of juice but will suffer endless dry hits.
This work to an extent in disposable pods, but soon you'll notice the juice don't taste the same soon after starting to use it and then again I think they use rayon not sure what the fibrous material it that's used to hold the juice.

if possible can someone just post a pic for @Stew to show him what you guys mean,maybe that will make him understand a little better what everyone is saying..:grinning:

If the cotton is stuffed down into the juice well, there's less room for juice to settle and move up the wick/s, so a far larger chance of dry hits.

It's a balancing act.

There's always a chance of leaking with RDAs and I tend to use them at home or carry a new dry build to wherever I'm going and then take it apart just before I leave. They tend to be far from pocket friendly.

1693899531813.jpeg

This might illustrate. You can see the bottom of the RDA. This is the juice well. So as the name implies it is a well for juice. The cotton needs just enough to dip into this well to be able to pull the juice up to the coil. Each RDA will have it's own characteristic as to how much juice it can hold and how often you need to drip. A way to mitigate this is to use a squonk, that way excess juice will flow back into the bottle.

Try some where between the extreme's Stew ... I cut my cotton so that it just touches the bottom of the deck, and then fluff it up that it resembles Michael Jacksons teenage hairstyle, and use the "fro" to fill all available space, which I find minimises potential spills.
When using a RDA for tasting juices however, I cut the wick very short, about 5mm longer than the coil, as my combination Scottish and Jewish heritage forbid juice, (and cotton), wastage.

1694368945042.png

Try some where between the extreme's Stew ... I cut my cotton so that it just touches the bottom of the deck, and then fluff it up that it resembles Michael Jacksons teenage hairstyle, and use the "fro" to fill all available space, which I find minimises potential spills.
When using a RDA for tasting juices however, I cut the wick very short, about 5mm longer than the coil, as my combination Scottish and Jewish heritage forbid juice, (and cotton), wastage.

View attachment 277063
Agree, but you still have to use if its sort of decent about 20 to 30 ml

I agree with the replies, the cotton tails must just touch the base of the rda. I read there was a mention that you are using a top airflow rda, so its less likely to mess...
One thing I didn't see mentioned, maybe I missed it, but if you fold the cotton over and fill the middle of the rda as you did, it not only makes it more difdicult to reach the coils, but you are also reducing the airflow by doing so.. you want the air to hit under the coils as well and by stuffing the cotton like that it reduces airflow as well as makes for a much tighter draw.

Thanks for all the replies. Going to try it with shorter tails on my next flavour change and see how it goes. Luckily the setup is likely to stay at home on outings and is always upright at home.

Last edited:
Back