Nitcore dead fried batteries

SpiralSequence

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi guys. I had the strangest thing happen this morning. I was happily charging my LG hg2 batteries in my D2 and when I went to take them out the charger was dead.

I thought ok at least batteries should be fine but nope. Dead. Dead as a dodo. Put them in my DNA to see if that will charge but alas no luck.

So dead charger killed my batteries. Not really the best time of the year to be forking out money on new charger and batteries.

Is there a way to revive them or should I just err on the safe side and chuck them?

I have lost two 4 cell nitecore chargers lately, and was informed that there are a few fake nitecore chargers out on the market nowadays. Luckily i have not lost any batteries.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Tapatalk

What voltage are the batteries sitting at? Check it with a volt meter perhaps.
I'd imagine waaay below what they should be though if it does not power up a mod even.

To be safe I'd probably chuck the batteries and get new ones, along with a new charger. I am not a fan of the Nitecore chargers as they are quite slow ... The newer range is better but you cannot adjust the charging current and such. bleh.

EDIT: As for alternative chargers. I personally use an Opus charger which I imported and I love it!
The Hohm base charger seems really great to, otherwise consider those Efest LUC chargers as I have heard they aren't too shabby and are available locally - will be cheaper than a Hohm base to I believe.

Last edited:
What voltage are the batteries sitting at? Check it with a volt meter perhaps.
I'd imagine waaay below what they should be though if it does not power up a mod even.

To be safe I'd probably chuck the batteries and get new ones, along with a new charger. I am not a fan of the Nitecore chargers as they are quite slow ... The newer range is better but you cannot adjust the charging current and such. bleh.
So what chargers are better then?

So what chargers are better then?

Just edited my above post.

I never said the Nitecore chargers were bad, I just dislike the fact that they charge slowly and do not offer many options.
It is pretty much a simple, plug battery in and charge type of charger. My Opus BT-C3100 charger on the other hand has many options and you are able to adjust the charging current per slot.
  • CHARGE: Charge battery with 200 to 1000 (2000) mA.
  • DISCHARGE: Discharge battery with 200 to 1000 mA.
  • DISCHARGE REFRESH: Discharge and charge the battery 3 times.
  • CHARGE TEST: Charge, discharge and charge the battery, show how much current was discharged.
  • QUICK TEST: Measure the internal resistance of the battery.
When charging it shows you the time it has spent charging, the mah it has charged into the battery (so you are able to see what the actual mah of the battery is), as well as the voltage which can be used to see how far from a full charge a battery is etc.

Are all these features needed? Not really. Although they are nice to have and useful at times. I recently got some "3000mah Ultrafire" batteries. Turns out they are only 500mah. They came with a torch I purchased.

XTAR VC4 is amazing, 1amp charging, fair price, can accomodate 2x26650's or 4x18650's
I struggled to find people who have stock locally. Heard great things about these chargers though!

Any idea where one might be able to purchase one from locally?

I struggled to find people who have stock locally. Heard great things about these chargers though!

Any idea where one might be able to purchase one from locally?

Hi guys

Good news is that XTAR has just signed up as a supporting International vendor
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/forums/xtar/

They have yet to start posting but I hear they will be looking for resellers in SA

Just give it some time

Hi guys. I had the strangest thing happen this morning. I was happily charging my LG hg2 batteries in my D2 and when I went to take them out the charger was dead.

I thought ok at least batteries should be fine but nope. Dead. Dead as a dodo. Put them in my DNA to see if that will charge but alas no luck.

So dead charger killed my batteries. Not really the best time of the year to be forking out money on new charger and batteries.

Is there a way to revive them or should I just err on the safe side and chuck them?

Sorry to hear about this @SpiralSequence
Try measure the voltage on those batteries - they are probably quite low but maybe another charger will charge them up

I have had on occasion a battery that was quite low - around 2.7V - but after charging them they worked fine.

Sorry to hear about this @SpiralSequence
Try measure the voltage on those batteries - they are probably quite low but maybe another charger will charge them up

I have had on occasion a battery that was quite low - around 2.7V - but after charging them they worked fine.
Hi @Silver. Will do. I am going past Juicy Joe's tomorrow to pick up a new charger. Will test them then in the new charger.

Would be a bum if the batteries is fried. Touching wood!

Hi @Silver. Will do. I am going past Juicy Joe's tomorrow to pick up a new charger. Will test them then in the new charger.

Would be a bum if the batteries is fried. Touching wood!

Holding thumbs for your batts @SpiralSequence
Just ask them to check the voltage before they/you put them in the charger
If they are very low - like below 2.5V - i would say rather replace them
Just lets get @Gazzacpt to chime in here - Gazza is that correct?

Holding thumbs for your batts @SpiralSequence
Just ask them to check the voltage before they/you put them in the charger
If they are very low - like below 2.5V - i would say rather replace them
Just lets get @Gazzacpt to chime in here - Gazza is that correct?
Hi, Yar, a working charger will check the conditioning of the batteries. It might be that the charger fried and the batteries discharged through the charger, worst case is the batteries are drained beyond recovery. If they vented you would have known about it.

Tl,dr

I would pop them into a working charger and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Ok so went and bought a new charger today and see if I can save my hg2's. They were sitting at 2.17 volts when I popped them in. Is that too low?

They are charging for the moment and I am watching them closely and checking if they do get hot.

Would it be better to just get rid of them?

If they are charging, then i assume they will be fine for future use.

Ok so went and bought a new charger today and see if I can save my hg2's. They were sitting at 2.17 volts when I popped them in. Is that too low?

They are charging for the moment and I am watching them closely and checking if they do get hot.

Would it be better to just get rid of them?
They'll be fine you might have shaved a month or 2 of their lifespan but they'll work. I've recovered batts from a lower voltage than that and they going ok.

They'll be fine you might have shaved a month or 2 of their lifespan but they'll work. I've recovered batts from a lower voltage than that and they going ok.

Phew ok cool. Would have been a bummer to lose 2 semi new batteries.

Great to hear @SpiralSequence
Thanks for letting us know what happened

And let us know how they go when they are fully charged and youve vaped on them

Back